VW fan converting to Subaru?

This is a discussion on VW fan converting to Subaru? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hello I am a long time VW fan. I am in the market to buy a car. I was looking ...

VW fan converting to Subaru?

hello
    I am a long time VW fan. I am in the market to buy a car. I was looking real hard at the new VW GTI 2.0t. I drove it, and it had pretty good acceleration and handling.

Well, I wasn't complety sold on the VW and began searching the web for other sporty cars in that price range. That is when I came across the WRX. I noticed that the front clip on these cars seemed to change every couple of years for the last four-five years. I personally like the front end on the 2002-2003 WRX best, but all of them look very nice.

I found a used 2003 WRX (blue) with five-speed, STI spoiler, and only 24XXX miles on it. The asking price is 19,995. You can find it on autotrader.com, use zip code 63376 and search for a car like that within 30 miles, you'll see it. It is at Dean Team dealership. They have two of them.

Anyway, I test drove it today...WOW!

The car was awesome and totally unlike anything I had ever driven. The all wheel drive was superb. The turbo boxer engine performed flawlessly and was begging to be opened up to the redline. the car flat out stuck to the road through the twisties. I must have one!!!!!!!!!!

I guess my question to everyone here is, are these cars as reliable as everyone says they are? Someone told me a used WRX is OK, but not to buy a used WRX STI because it probably was driven too hard and abused by the previous owner. Is there truth to that? Can these cars take the abuse of hard driving? Are repairs insanely expensive after the warranties expire (because of the complexity of all wheel drive, turbo, intercooler, etc)?

I nee help to make an informed decision. Any comments are welcome. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Peachypumpkincheeks

Ha, ha, welcome to your first experience as a WRX enthusiast and future Subaru owner.

And welcome to the Club!!! I would suggest you check out the Car Purchasing Forum for some great advice and where to start.

We've all experienced a love affair with the WRX, so welcome and can't wait to see pics of your "new WRX"!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy
    I guess my question to everyone here is, are these cars as reliable as everyone says they are? Someone told me a used WRX is OK, but not to buy a used WRX STI because it probably was driven too hard and abused by the previous owner. Is there truth to that? Can these cars take the abuse of hard driving? Are repairs insanely expensive after the warranties expire (because of the complexity of all wheel drive, turbo, intercooler, etc)?

I nee help to make an informed decision. Any comments are welcome. Thank you.
    And to answer some of your questions:

*It's best to stay away from a highly/previously modified WRX unless you already have owned a modded WRX and know what you are dealing with.

*As with any car you will have the downsides. The 02/03 WRX has commonly been referred to having a "glass transmission"...as in, they break alot. BUT, we have many member here who have modifications on a stock 02/03 transmission with 30k, 70k, and up miles with no problems whatsoever. It comes down to how you treat your car. Are you going to be performing a lot of launches? Do you drive hard? Is this your first manual? All these factors could affect the life of your transmission.

*It doesn't matter if it's a used WRX or STi. What matters is how many miles it has, if it has any mods, and I would suggest getting it checked out by a mechanic for signs of abuse or any possible damages.

*Subarus are meant to be driven. With that said, you also need to perform routine maintainence and be ready if something does break.

*SOA and dealerships often are eager to void warranties. I won't get into this right now, your best bet is to do a little searching around the forum and check out the Car Purchasing Forum, etc.

Hope this helped, and good luck!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

that price for an 03 is too expensive. I know the miles are low but you can find MUCH cheaper. For that price you can get an 04 or maybe even an 05. Sti's might be driven hard but they can handle a hell of a lot more abuse then any regular wrx. 02/03 had the most tranny problems with 02's being horrible and early 03's being horrible but latter part of the 03's werent as bad. (like my old 03). Your going from a VW to a Subaru so its going to be MUCH more reliable. You dont have to worry about tailights burning out, windows falling in, etc etc. But you will hear a lot more noises from inside the car and little things that will start bugging you. It wont be as comfortable or as refined. And about it being turbo awd and more expensive to repair. Well the gti is also turbo I honestly dont know about repair costs because i never had any problems with my 03 wrx for over 20k miles and i never had any problems with my STI so far. If you can afford a brand new gti why dont you get a brand new wrx? or maybe you just dont like the 06 looks?
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

I went through testing and pondering over about 5 different vehicles before I settled on the WRX. Nothing else really compared to the WRX, but it was about 5 grand more expensive than anything else I was looking at. So far I am happy I made the decision I did, and wouldnt go back.

just to clarify,

My spending limit has a ceiling of $25,000. I was going to get into that new VW GTI for $24,500. The new 06 WRX's look just fine, but they are around $26,xxxish similarly equipped to that GTI. That is a little too high right now for me. 25,000 is my limit as of right now. If I wait and save a little more, then I might consider the new 06 WRX. Honestly, If I was going to spend 26-27,000 on a new 06 WRX, I would rather find a two year old STI with thirty thousand miles and buy it instead...maybe. I'm so confused right now, I'm not sure what I want. But, after my test drive today, I can tell you that it will definately have all-wheel drive, a turbo, and probably a Subaru badge on the grille.

thanks for the suggestions, and feel free to give more.

the deals are out there, you just have to find the right dealer. I just got my WRX sedan for 23,900. I got a super deal, way below book. Thats just a few hundred over dealer invoice. Search long enough and enough dealers and you will find something. I went 4 hours away to find this deal.