water cooled turbo question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on water cooled turbo question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey ya'll - I have a newb water cooling question about the stock turbos. I know being water cooled keeps ...

water cooled turbo question

Hey ya'll - I have a newb water cooling question about the stock turbos.

I know being water cooled keeps you from needing a turbo timer, but where do the feed and discharge lines go, and (just for the sake of discussion) what if you had two turbos, would need to double the standard setup or do something different?

I am not actually putting these on a WRX currently, but a project car that did not start off life with a turbo, much less two.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Since you are fitting the turbo onto a car that didn't have one, you will have a custom intake manifold anyway. See if there are any decent-sized water lines around and splice off one of them for the feed line to the turbo, then loop back into the system somewhere. You'll have to source an oil line feed too, and probably tap the sump for an oil return. Isn't there some sort of kit for a similar car that you can look at and see if you can emulate the parts?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Since you are fitting the turbo onto a car that didn't have one, you will have a custom intake manifold anyway. See if there are any decent-sized water lines around and splice off one of them for the feed line to the turbo, then loop back into the system somewhere. You'll have to source an oil line feed too, and probably tap the sump for an oil return. Isn't there some sort of kit for a similar car that you can look at and see if you can emulate the parts?

No man, not as far as I know - I am a pioneer.

No one has used water cooled turbos on my car before - chose them sepcifically because they are the best and WRX uses them stock. I am cool on taping the pan, making some feedlines for oil and even oil scavenge pumps. I have seen that done. But everyone uses only oil cooled turbos, which everyone here knows are inferior. And the parts I think I need to emulate are the stockers that feed the 13t.

But as far as water goes, I was thinking about making a pair of little baby IC/heat exchangers for each turbo. If the 13t just takes water from after the radiator before the engine and splits it into the turbo, and there are not any heating problems, then I can just do that, no prob. I'll just have to do two.

But my concern was the extra heat from two water cooled turbos going back into the system will be more than my stock radiator can deal with, if the temps are high, which I suspect they will be. Hence the idea of a pair of heat exchangers...like A2W ICs, but for the turbo itself.

I dont know, I don't NEED to run them water cooled either, but that sort of is the point of the Subaru setup and why they are so damn good.

thanks for the feedback btw.

I Support ClubWRX
    The Subaru actually uses a bespoke overflow reservoir above the turbo with a feed line designed to allow overflow water to circulate and absorb some heat after the motor is turned off as well. It's pretty ingenious. It's not really a heat exchange device in the conventional sense; the idea is to actually allow heat to create a coolant current. You might want to look under a Subaru hood to see how they've plumbed everything.

You might also want to think about rad capacity like you say, and also a lower thermostat temp.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The Subaru actually uses a bespoke overflow reservoir above the turbo with a feed line designed to allow overflow water to circulate and absorb some heat after the motor is turned off as well. It's pretty ingenious. It's not really a heat exchange device in the conventional sense; the idea is to actually allow heat to create a coolant current. You might want to look under a Subaru hood to see how they've plumbed everything.

You might also want to think about rad capacity like you say, and also a lower thermostat temp.
    Very interesting. I will have to check that out. Overhead reservoir. My other idea like I said was a mini a2w IC with a pump for circulation...which actually could work after the car was off too, but the resevoir idea sounds like less things to fail.

thanks man

I Support ClubWRX
    I see what you mean about a A2W exchanger. People do that for the intake air actually. There were Subaru Legacy models that used a A2W I/C, and you might find one of those floating around. The pump(s) might be hard to sort out though, especially if there is more than one unit. Maybe go with big radiator/low thermostat/big water pump for the coolant and then use A2W for the I/C if need be -- just wondering. Good luck.

I see what you mean about a A2W exchanger. People do that for the intake air actually. There were Subaru Legacy models that used a A2W I/C, and you might find one of those floating around. The pump(s) might be hard to sort out though, especially if there is more than one unit. Maybe go with big radiator/low thermostat/big water pump for the coolant and then use A2W for the I/C if need be -- just wondering. Good luck.
    Thanks...it's going to be quite the project.

I don't mind running an a2w (or even 2) for the turbos on top of the 2 a2a I plan on using for the actual air charger. But with liquids comes pumping. With pumping comes failure -usually at inopportune times.

If I can figure out how to copy the reservoir concept, maybe not in form but in function, I think that may be the best bet. I have been searching the boards on here looking for pics of FMIC setups so I can see what is essential to the turbo cooling system and what is not. I am not sure I am looking at the right object in the pics: is the reservoir mounted to the firewall or is if that sort of quadrilateral device just left of the turbo (looking into the engine bay?

One thing is for sure - I wont be able to put the thing in the "stock" location. no room.

I Support ClubWRX
    In a picture of a stock engine bay, the turbo coolant overflow reservoir is the metal object with a radiator cap on it that is next to the top mounted intercooler. On early cars, it is black. On later cars it is metallic. On cars up to '03, it is the only object with a radiator cap -- the rad was filled from there initially. Later cars have two rad caps, one on the reservoir we're talking about, another on the radiator. The top is flat, with thin coolant lines on top and the rad cap. That reservoir has a feed line to the turbo.

You can run the turbo without such a setup too. It's a Mitsu turbo, and when they use their turbos in their own cars they don't go to the same lengths Subaru does. I just like the Subaru idea since it's still relatively simple but elegantly solves the cooling issue after the motor is shut down.

I just like the Subaru idea since it's still relatively simple but elegantly solves the cooling issue after the motor is shut down.
    As do I. I figured out what you were talking about. I am trying to piece together the lines...some come off the rad. overflow lines I guess. Found a pic of some guy that had his entire motor pulled and found the drain pipe on the engine. I almost get it.

Learned about the paint chip prob on the older cars.

well thanks for all the bak and forth..you have been very helpful. I will consult some friends about whether repoduciing the reservoir technique is feasible. I think it will be, but I have to put some thought into it. I'll post up if I get it figured out or not.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK have fun!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.