n00b ?: How to Dyno
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on n00b ?: How to Dyno within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Alright, guys yes this is a noob question (thats why its in the noob form (hopes to hide from mean ...

n00b ?: How to Dyno

Alright, guys yes this is a noob question (thats why its in the noob form (hopes to hide from mean masters)), yes I tried to search but my search terms are too vauge.

I am heading to a dyno this weekend and not entirely sure how this process goes. Does the tech typically sit in the car? Do I have to sit in the car and shift? Is there anything I shouldn't do? Oh and yeah, I did see that video where the dude hit his breaks on the dyno, I know NOT to do that.... any other input would be greatly appriciated.

Fieldy

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You'll hand them your keys, that's all your involvement.

not at the dyno i go to. at least not if youre just doing power pulls. they make you drive onto the dyno and get it centered (which is always fun to watch a first timer try to get it centered on top of the rollers ) then they strap it all down and away you go. they control the brakes and the logging, but you do the accellerating/shifting yourself.

every dyno's different tho so who knows. also depends on what KIND of dyno the shop uses. the on i go to uses a dynojet. in case you do it yourself, and its a dynojet, some things to know (which they should explain to you)

-no trying to "steer" the car, it will center itself, just as long as you keep a light hand on the steering wheel in case it does start to veer

-and as you are already aware. NO HITTING THE BRAKES. they control that on the dyno and will slow you down when needed. as the guy at my shop says "if you get into a braking war between the car and dyno, the dyno WILL win." haha

but like i said, depends on what shop you go to and what dyno they use. typically the tech does it, but in some instances like mine, they let you do it

::edit:: just noticed youre in chandler. haha. then you'd probably be going to az dyno chip, which is where i just described. or youre going to dynocomp, which ive never been there so i dont know what they do. but if you go to dynochip you'll be doing it yourself

yeah, I've never seen a dyno that anyone would let you drive your car onto, or operate your car on.

That's a pretty big chunk of money to be letting someone else play with. Most dyno's don't let you drive your car on them for the reasons you listed, I'm honestly amazed to hear that anyone would allow people to do that.

What shop is this?

I'm interetsed too. I am out in Chandler and once I get back from Denver I will be getting some work done in PHX.

its AZ Dyno Chip. ( www.arizonadynochip.com is i think their site, but it doesnt appear to be working right now) i thought it was a bit odd at first too. in fact the first time i went there i MADE one of the techs drive the car cuz i didnt wanna do it. haha. but the next couple times i went i did it myself. its really not that hard, kinda fun actually, but definently not the norm. the dyno's actually outside too, which is kinda cool. haha.

Is that the dyno that kingpin uses? I seem to remember videos of them on a dyno outdoors.

Brian,

How does the dyno liability go if say something craps out in your drivetrain, on the dyno, while THEY are driving your car? Are they responsible for it or are you just a$$ed out?
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Got me, I wonder the same about what would happen if the dyno crapped out while you were driving on it or because of somehting you did while driving on it. Even anything cheap to fix on it is going to cost quite a bit to fix, and even more in dyno downtime and missed appointments. Hopefully someone could chime in who works at a shop and tell us their policy on this, though I'm betting like allowing people to drive their own cars on the dyno it's going to differ from place to place.

I would imagine at most places people aren't allowed to drive their own car on the dyno much for the same reasons that people aren't allowed to just walk around work areas at many shops. Liablility is a huge risk, if they somehow lanched it off that thing and hit someone, something or injured themselves I doubt the person driving the car would be the one responsible for the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    Is that the dyno that kingpin uses? I seem to remember videos of them on a dyno outdoors.

you are correct

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.