first mods
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on first mods within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay guys, I'm ready to start planning out my first mods and i thought I'll go with intake and exhaust ...

Post first mods

Okay guys, I'm ready to start planning out my first mods and i thought I'll go with intake and exhaust first. do you guys recommend certain brands? and apart from some pipes do i need to worry about anything else.. would the car need to be tunned in anyway?

I'm sure im asking some dumb questions but i am new.
    Also, i'd like to get a nice spoiler, i like the way to Sti looks but i want to get the best for performance.

I'd love the help.

Thanks

Josh

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I recomend staying away from intakes as a starting mod. The STi uses the same intake box and pushes 300hp, so until you start making that much power don't waste your money. Downpipe/uppipe combo is a good starting place. If you buy an '06, you won't need the uppipe. After that, some form of engine management (Cobb Access port, what I use and love it. -- TurboXS UTEC). After that you might be ready for an intake. I suggest the K&N Typhoon, or you can go with suspension work. For that I would start with swaybars and endlinks, maybe springs last. After all of that it, would be time for a larger turbo and all the supporting mods.

deff. keep the stock airbox until you at least upgrade the turbo. Most say the stock airbox is good for up to 400 crank hp.

the best bang for the buck mods are uppipe/donwpipe hands down. After you do those, get a cobb accessport or custom tune, then if you really want the sound get a catback.

the stickys and search function will help out a lot.

intake: no (only short ram if going FMIC-stage 4)
    exhaust: turboxs
    ECU upgrade: turboxs
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

stock intake.
    Uppipe
    TurboXS Stealthback.
    Cobb AP or ecutek

unless you are making the power.... a spoiler really wont do much performance wise.

Registered User quicksilver1982's Avatar
    sorry to jack your thread but as far as exhaust will it make much difference whether it's mandrel bent or not?

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver1982
    sorry to jack your thread but as far as exhaust will it make much difference whether it's mandrel bent or not?
    There are many arguments about this. Some people go out and get their exhaust crush bent because it is cheaper. The idea behind having a mandrel bent exhaust is that it retains the full size throughout the piping. Someone help me out here, but It just flows better than a crushbent exhaust. Also, I wouldnt recommend having a crush bent exhaust when your pulling lots of power.

Quote Originally Posted by RexisMe
    unless you are making the power.... a spoiler really wont do much performance wise.
    to add to that, I don't know if you seen an STi spoiler on a stock wrx (stock suspension) but it really drags the rear down and lifts the front. Kinda funny looking.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsm0ke
    Okay guys, I'm ready to start planning out my first mods and i thought I'll go with intake and exhaust first. do you guys recommend certain brands? and apart from some pipes do i need to worry about anything else.. would the car need to be tunned in anyway?

I'm sure im asking some dumb questions but i am new.
    Also, i'd like to get a nice spoiler, i like the way to Sti looks but i want to get the best for performance.

I'd love the help.

Thanks

Josh
    SEARCH NOOB!! jeez.
    HAHA! I couldn't resist. n00b here myself. From what I have read since I've been a member here, everything urbody has said seems to be true.
    I do have a couple of questions myself. It does relate to gunsmoke's questions so I don't think I'm hijacking the thread.

Boosted,
    I understand about staying away from intakes as a starting mod. Now, would you not even recommend installing a cone filter by itself on there? At the very least, I would like to get a K&N drop in filter to replace the OEM one. I know there is negligible power gains from the K&Ns but the main reason for me wanting a drop in filter like that (or even a cone one) is just for a bit better airflow, and mainly because you will never have to replace it, and you will never have to worry about it getting clogged up like the paper filters (as long as you clean it regularly). A K&N drop in filter wouldn't cause any warranty claim issues, would it, do you think?

lugee,
    From what I have read in the review magazines and from a couple of salesman, the rear STi wing/spoiler is functional. I think it provides something like 50lbs of downforce @ 100mph. It may not sound like much, but it's better than nothing. I would even like to have the 06 STi mini wing on the roof on my 05, IF it helps stablize the air going over the back like they say it does. It does look a bit ricey but I'll take that if it does what it's supposed to.
    You are also right about the exhausts. Cheaper or not, crush bent sucks a$$. Why would anyone (who isn't cheap) want crush bends over mandrel bends? It creates more back pressure, and it also (I'm hypothesizing here) probably causes more turbulence in the exhaust gases as they pass over the ridges of the 'crushes'.
    I did not know that the STi wing would weigh a WRX down.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

It depends on your budget and what you want to do with your car. Like others have said, don't waste your money on an intake (short ram or CAI) or bov. Start with an uppipe, turboback exhaust (complete system or a dp and exhaust combo), headers if you want, and a tune to make it all run optimally. You can either go Cobb Accessport or Ecutek depending on your needs. Then, from there, it's really up to you. You can upgrade the turbo, get some bigger injectors, fuel pump, larger top mount or front mount intercooler, and a re-tune. The brakes are already good so you might want to look at upgraded pads, and other suspension components (coilovers, sway bars, endlinks, etc.). Have fun and don't spend too much.
    Great spirits will always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    Gas, grass, or ass. Nobody rides for free.

Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi
    SEARCH NOOB!! jeez.
    HAHA! I couldn't resist. n00b here myself. From what I have read since I've been a member here, everything urbody has said seems to be true.
    I do have a couple of questions myself. It does relate to gunsmoke's questions so I don't think I'm hijacking the thread.

Boosted,
    I understand about staying away from intakes as a starting mod. Now, would you not even recommend installing a cone filter by itself on there? At the very least, I would like to get a K&N drop in filter to replace the OEM one. I know there is negligible power gains from the K&Ns but the main reason for me wanting a drop in filter like that (or even a cone one) is just for a bit better airflow, and mainly because you will never have to replace it, and you will never have to worry about it getting clogged up like the paper filters (as long as you clean it regularly). A K&N drop in filter wouldn't cause any warranty claim issues, would it, do you think?
    A lot of people remove the intake silencer and place a K&N drop-in filter. I personally haven't done that with my stage 2 setup yet (at least the K&N filter part), but people seem to have good luck with that to start.

As to your question about warranty issues, a non-OEM air filter can not void any warranties according to the Moss-Magnussen Act. You can place any brand of air filter, muffler, wiper blades, breaks, or any other wearable part on your car without voiding any warranty

Quote Originally Posted by gunsm0ke
    Well, I must say I've reconsidered a lot about my car... I'm thinking of taking a different route by starting with suspension work and bigger brake pads seeing my 06 brakes should last some time and working my way out ... as for height of the car ... what would you guys consider to be good/bad and why... I live on a stone rocky driveway and a pretty crappy road and I don't wan't to be hitting the bottom of my car all the time.
    And does anybody know the facts about the warranty and the do's and don'ts and would some things void the whole thing or just the part you changed and what it effects?

-josh
    The only time a warranty claim can be denied is something you have put on the car had to contribute to failure.
    If you put aftermarket springs on the car and your shocks go out from being overworked. You can still try to get warranty work done, but there is a good chance that your claim will be denied.
    Now if you put aftermarket springs on your car and drop a tranny, as in my case, your warranty claim could not be denied unless SoA could prove 100% that your springs caused the transmission failure.

If you want to start on suspension, I suggest going with sway bars first. You can also get endlinks at the same time but I didn't notice a big difference with my aftermarket endlinks. If you decide to go with a set of springs, I suggest Cobb or Prodrive. Both springs give a 25% rate increase, so you don't have the harsh or bouncy ride with stock struts. I would suggest that you get better struts with your springs though.

Well, I must say I've reconsidered a lot about my car... I'm thinking of taking a different route by starting with suspension work and bigger brake pads seeing my 06 brakes should last some time and working my way out ... as for height of the car ... what would you guys consider to be good/bad and why... I live on a stone rocky driveway and a pretty crappy road and I don't wan't to be hitting the bottom of my car all the time.
    And does anybody know the facts about the warranty and the do's and don'ts and would some things void the whole thing or just the part you changed and what it effects?

-josh

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.