Looked at my first WRX wagon yesterday
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Looked at my first WRX wagon yesterday within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The quest for a WRX Wagon has begun! I was cruising dealerships yesterday and spotted an 04 WRB wagon w/30.5K ...

Looked at my first WRX wagon yesterday

The quest for a WRX Wagon has begun!

I was cruising dealerships yesterday and spotted an 04 WRB wagon w/30.5K miles at a Honda dealership here on LI (Huntington Honda).

Salesman said they wanted $16.5K and went to get the keys for me. Sounded like a CBE was installed (OK...I admit it...I got the goosebumps when I turned the key and heard the familiar F4 rumble again ). It also had a very sloppily installed and loose aftermarket boost gauge (held in with a wood screw... ). Car had an STI hood scoop and was debadged. It also had an alarm with a turbo timer installed. I actually declined a test drive beacuse I was already late getting where I needed to be.

Overall body and paint & interior were nice. Car needed a wash though. The hood scoop seemed to be sloppily painted and I noticed what looked like a drip on the front pass side corner of the scoop...

Not wanting to buy a WRX from a dealer other than a Subie dealer, I'm going to pass on it.

However, my first impressions of a WRX were good. After looking at a few on eBay, the back seats all seemed to be very tight. After adjusting the very comfy driver's seat to my liking, I was very pleased to see that the back seat will be fine for my daughter (she's 5). I rarely have any adults in the back seat of my cars so I don't really care if adults can fit. Thats what the wife's Grand Caravan is for... (I know - mini van! ewww... )

I do have a question (and I apologize for not searching for it), are the hoods on the WRX's really light? (no, it wasn't painted CF) I remember my 97 Outback Sport having a heavier hood and my 01 Sonata's hood is kinda heavy as well. I wasn't expecting the hood on the WRX to be so light and was very surprised. Are they aluminium?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinEyeball
    Are they aluminium?
    yes

I Support ClubWRX
    The WRX hood is indeed aluminum, at least I know that they were through '05.
    My 2 kids fit great in the back seats of my wagon, plus lots of room in the hatch for their "stuff".
    Keep looking 'til you find the one that "speaks" to you. Good luck.
    --Ray

"Bro ima get Bimota BB3 because expert. My parents have 911 turbo but awd won't let me launch, ima get 962 twin turbo Group C bro." -- SD_GR

Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon -- SOLD
    2002 Subaru WRX Sedan -- SOLD

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good call on passing that one up. You don't want somebodys sloppy seconds unless your going to fix it up.

There should be plenty of nice preowned wrx's in your area.(being that you are in an northern state) Good luck.

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

good luck on your Quest for a WRX....You will not regret
    Blobeye Syndicate # 77
    New England F4
    2005 PSM WRX (COBB Stage 2)

Good used wagons are hard to come by. i was looking for one for a little while. we had a 2003 wagon but sold it the other day. if you can, find one that is bone stock that hasnt had mods done to it.....if you buy one with mods or that has had them, there is a bigger risk in it being someone else's problems you are getting.

you can do warranty history on any subaru ....have the dealer pull it using the VIN (has to be a subie dealer to do it). make sure to do a car fax and look for evidence of paintwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru
    Good used wagons are hard to come by.
    True story. Especially if you want one that's NOT blue. I have high hopes for my used wagon. So far so good.
    --Ray

"Bro ima get Bimota BB3 because expert. My parents have 911 turbo but awd won't let me launch, ima get 962 twin turbo Group C bro." -- SD_GR

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    True story. Especially if you want one that's NOT blue. I have high hopes for my used wagon. So far so good.
    I would have taken a used blue one, but couldnt find one reasonably priced even on ebay that didnt have good miles on them or been run into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Actually, I'd prefer WRB or Aspen White.

Why would decent wagons be harder to come by? I'd assume that the sedans would be modified more and much harder to find in decent shape. I really want a wagon but will get a sedan if only it's an offer I couldn't pass up.

Anyone can modify a sedan, but it takes a special breed to want to modify a wagon...

I figured that the hood was aluminium. The hatch on my 86 Volvo wagon was aluminium as well and it was pretty light.

Thanks for the responses!

John

I Support ClubWRX

Why would decent wagons be harder to come by?
    Mostly because there are half as many wagons out there as there are sedans.
    --Ray

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Why would decent wagons be harder to come by? I'd assume that the sedans would be modified more and much harder to find in decent shape. I really want a wagon but will get a sedan if only it's an offer I couldn't pass up.

Anyone can modify a sedan, but it takes a special breed to want to modify a wagon...

I figured that the hood was aluminium. The hatch on my 86 Volvo wagon was aluminium as well and it was pretty light.

Thanks for the responses!

John
    Most of the people that get wagons do get them for the utility purpose, not to modify so they are using their cars as cargo and haulers so they seem to have more miles on them for the most part and those that have lower miles want $19k for them. plus it is kind of that way since we probably sell 15 sedans to 1 wagon in the WRX form.

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru
    Good used wagons are hard to come by.
    Bought my 04 PSM wagon with 3300 miles, SPT catback, OEM sub, flawless interior/exterior for $18,500. Moral of the story: There IS a god , and your dream wagon is out there, somewhere.

03 WRX Wagon

Actually, I am the one who just bought that '03 Wagon from Grayson.

I was told one of the employees was thinking about buying it, but I pretty much figured it was a sales tactic. White is not my favorite color, and I probably paid a few hundred more than I should have, but it was the only used WRX left in town, so... oh well.

Great car though... I've been pleased. Almost as fast as my old Formula, and still has room for a bike or a couple of backpacks. I will most likely throw some aftermarket engine management on it for starters.

Dave

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxknight
    Actually, I am the one who just bought that '03 Wagon from Grayson.
    I was told one of the employees was thinking about buying it, but I pretty much figured it was a sales tactic. White is not my favorite color, and I probably paid a few hundred more than I should have, but it was the only used WRX left in town, so... oh well.
    Great car though... I've been pleased. Almost as fast as my old Formula, and still has room for a bike or a couple of backpacks. I will most likely throw some aftermarket engine management on it for starters.
    Dave
    That's a great start. It doesn't take much to bring the WRX engine to life. Read the stickies in the Engine Performance forum; they'll give you a good start with regard to the best starter mods.
    Welcome aboard!
    --Ray

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.