Is the WRX's engine loud (especially 2006 version)?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is the WRX's engine loud (especially 2006 version)? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was wondering if the WRX's engine is loud? Not asking about the STi because I already know that engine ...

Is the WRX's engine loud (especially 2006 version)?

I was wondering if the WRX's engine is loud? Not asking about the STi because I already know that engine is nice and loud but in all the videos I have seen of the WRX, the sound of the engine seems pretty tame. Comments on the engine sound of the 2006 version of the WRX especially would be greatly appreciated.

I love the high-revving engine sound of Honda's and am wondering if the WRX delivers anything similar in terms of engine noise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Inside the car, the loudest noises are the gearbox and the tire roar. The turbo whistles too. The motor is by no means loud but it sounds much better than a Honda, that IMO sounds a bit anaemic. What the Impreza sounds like on the outside is irrelevant, as youŕe the one thatś paid for it, and youŕe sitting inside it anyway.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Umm if you want a honda sounding engine.. get away from subaru's... Cause u wont find anything but a nice mean beasty sounding engine here..

The WRX's engine is just as loud as an STi's but you need an exhaust to hear it.. Stock no the car is very nice and quiet.

Hondas have nothing on the boxer rumble. If you keep the rex stock, it will be pretty tame, but even a cat back can release a good portion of the rumble
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

I Support ClubWRX
    The '06 WRX motor sounds great even stock, IMO. It makes more interesting and deeper noises than the previous 2.0L, but it's certainly not loud. I think it sounds better than most Honda motors. Add a full turboback exhaust and a WRX sounds downright orgasmic.

Either way, don't buy any car based on how the engine sounds inside because it will not be a novelty for long (unless you can afford a Ferrari!).
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Registered User Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
    when you say "engine sound" you mean the sound of the exhaust note right? I know some people pay attention to the sound of the actual engine running rather then the exhaust note. I've also noticed that subaru engines sound pretty disctinctive when it comes to the mechanical sound coming out of the hood. It almost sounds like a sewing machine, a really big one. There is a ticking noise that I notice from every subaru that I have been in for the last 10 years. As for overall loudness, I wouldn't say that its any louder then any other car in its class, nor quieter. I haven't heard an 06', but it shouldn't be all that much different, though I have seen people on here say that it makes an extra wooshing whistle noise from the air pump injecting air into the uppipe or something (some emissions things since they got rid of the cat in the uppipe for the 06').

As for exhaust note, its a great rumbling purr of a noise. Its most akin to a Harley or a V-8, but still different too. If you like the high pitched enduro whine of an inline v-tecified Honda engine, then don't look at a Subaru. It sounds great at idle and all the way up through the rev range. Whereas the Honda souns kinda reedy and wheazy in the top range, the Subbie boxer rumble just makes it souns aggresive and intimidating. I still think I like the sound of a v-10 and v-12 better, but the Boxer engine holds a flame to just about everything else. You'll get it a bit stock, but won't really feel its full power until you get at least a axleback. Good luck with your search. The exhaust note is just one of the things that is great about the Rex.

JH

Quote Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem
    when you say "engine sound" you mean the sound of the exhaust note right? I know some people pay attention to the sound of the actual engine running rather then the exhaust note. I've also noticed that subaru engines sound pretty disctinctive when it comes to the mechanical sound coming out of the hood. It almost sounds like a sewing machine, a really big one. There is a ticking noise that I notice from every subaru that I have been in for the last 10 years. As for overall loudness, I wouldn't say that its any louder then any other car in its class, nor quieter. I haven't heard an 06', but it shouldn't be all that much different, though I have seen people on here say that it makes an extra wooshing whistle noise from the air pump injecting air into the uppipe or something (some emissions things since they got rid of the cat in the uppipe for the 06').

As for exhaust note, its a great rumbling purr of a noise. Its most akin to a Harley or a V-8, but still different too. If you like the high pitched enduro whine of an inline v-tecified Honda engine, then don't look at a Subaru. It sounds great at idle and all the way up through the rev range. Whereas the Honda souns kinda reedy and wheazy in the top range, the Subbie boxer rumble just makes it souns aggresive and intimidating. I still think I like the sound of a v-10 and v-12 better, but the Boxer engine holds a flame to just about everything else. You'll get it a bit stock, but won't really feel its full power until you get at least a axleback. Good luck with your search. The exhaust note is just one of the things that is great about the Rex.

JH
    No, I am definately not talking about exhaust note. The WRX's exhaust note is fine.

This video made me notice how quiet the WRX's engine was, in it you can hardly hear the WRX approach, you can only hear it leaving (its exhaust). Meanwhile the M3 is screaming like hell, and you can definately hear it approaching and leaving:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...06249&q=wrx+m3

And in this video, there's a WRX on the track but its fairly quiet:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...98389902&q=wrx

While here's a video of a Civic and its engine is nice and loud:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...972927&q=civic

I think the WRX is a great car but I just find it odd that a car so powerful and sporty could be so quiet. Like I said, I would greatly appreciate comments in the 2006 WRX b/c maybe Subaru has changed that with the latest model. I love the sound of Honda/Acura engines but most their cars don't have enough low-end torque and more importantly they're FWD (boring, and the rwd- S2000 is just too impractical&expensive for me). There's always the STi but they're kind of pricey as well, the WRX has the performance and price I want but the engine just seems pretty demure (soundwise not performance wise) to me.

I wish the exhaust note was a little louder from the factory. For the type of car it is its awfully quite.
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

In that civic video all you can hear is that damn intake he has. In the vid of the m3 and wrx driving by you can perfectly heard the wrx engine just as well as the m3's. I would prefer a quiet engine anyway. The rumble i get out of my turboback exhaust is plenty enough noise for me!
    VF-39 Powered
    298.71HP/282.36TQ on 93Oct
    319.32HP/308.27TQ on 110Oct

I guess you could say the actual wrx engine is quieter than many cars. All the rumble comes out the back not the front.

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

but that's not to say that the wrx engine doens't have a noisy ass valvetrain. I can hear my lifters ticking inside the car
    VF-39 Powered

I Support ClubWRX
    Sure, the lifters tick and usually the pistons slap on cold starts too, and all sorts of weird noises come from the motor bay (not to mention the dash...).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

so yea, if you want a fast car with a noisy engine, beautiful exhaust note, noisy interior and lots of road noise, get yourself a wrx!
    VF-39 Powered

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subieracer18
    so yea, if you want a fast car with a noisy engine, beautiful exhaust note, noisy interior and lots of road noise, get yourself a wrx!
    Or get an '06, which is a fast car with a great sounding engine, quiet interior and minimal road noise.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

after about 5k miles i'm sure the interior will get noisy.
    VF-39 Powered

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.