Why is color of engine bay different from body?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Why is color of engine bay different from body? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I visited the dealer again today. I popped the hood & noticed the color of engine bay is different from ...

Question Why is color of engine bay different from body?

I visited the dealer again today. I popped the hood & noticed the color of engine bay is different from the body, so is the back side of the hood & trunk. Steel Gray Metallic & Crystal Gray Metallic have light blueish grey color (it's very obvious). Aspen White (STI) has offwhite color. Obsidian Black Pearl has flat black color. This is the FIRST time I've seen on cars, especially NEW car.

Is it ONLY on 2006 WRXs or Subarus?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Maybe they use less refined but more heat resistant paint under the hood. Obviously they don't put a lot of clear coat like they puy on the body panels. (not that subaru uses a think layer of clearcoat anywhere on the car)

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

I Support ClubWRX
    Car manufacturers have been doing that for a looooong time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Car manufacturers have been doing that for a looooong time.
    What other manufacturers? Honda & Toyota have never done this. Are Legacy/Outback, B9 Tribeca, & Forester like this as well? As I recall, my friend's silver 2002 WRX is NOT like this.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fendyman
    What other manufacturers? Honda & Toyota have never done this. Are Legacy/Outback, B9 Tribeca, & Forester like this as well? As I recall, my friend's silver 2002 WRX is NOT like this.
    The silver WRX is grey under the hood. Honda and Toyota also does this.

Even my first car 1978 Plymouth Champ (same as Mitsubishi Colt) was NOT like this.

I Support ClubWRX
    Even my first car 1978 Plymouth Champ (same as Mitsubishi Colt) was NOT like this.
    Did it have the dual range gearbox?

the color is typically the same color as the outer to a point. the reason it looks different is that it does not go through all the same finishing processes of the outer shell paint. hence the under hood looks alot duller then the color sanded, clear coated outer shell.
    So Cal F4 member #19

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hellbilly1342
    the color is typically the same color as the outer to a point. the reason it looks different is that it does not go through all the same finishing processes of the outer shell paint. hence the under hood looks alot duller then the color sanded, clear coated outer shell.
    That is correct. Sometimes they use the same base, but with no clearcoat. Sometimes they only use two stages of a three stage paint. Sometimes they use a whole different color. A couple cars I fixed in the past come to mind. My 03 SRP rex uses two stages of a three stage job. The Sonic yellow WRX seems to use the base color with no clear. I fixed a 1994 red metro that was orange under the hood. I fixed a brown 2003 Corolla that was an all together different brown under the hood. There was a separate color code for it.

Did it have the dual range gearbox?
    Yup. Economy & Power (sounds louder).

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup. Economy & Power (sounds louder).
    I had a 79 colt with the 8 speed trans

That is correct. Sometimes they use the same base, but with no clearcoat. Sometimes they only use two stages of a three stage paint. Sometimes they use a whole different color. A couple cars I fixed in the past come to mind. My 03 SRP rex uses two stages of a three stage job. The Sonic yellow WRX seems to use the base color with no clear. I fixed a 1994 red metro that was orange under the hood. I fixed a brown 2003 Corolla that was an all together different brown under the hood. There was a separate color code for it.
    I understand about not having clear coat or different finishing process. I'm talking about VERY obvious different in color. 2006 Steel Gray Metallic is like bronze (pretty dark, too), but the engine bay is LIGHT blueish grey, same as Crystal Gray Metallic's one. We are talking about $22,000 plus car, NOT $10K-15k cheap car. What's up w/ that SOA?

I Support ClubWRX
    I understand about not having clear coat or different finishing process. I'm talking about VERY obvious different in color. 2006 Steel Gray Metallic is like bronze (pretty dark, too), but the engine bay is LIGHT blueish grey, same as Crystal Gray Metallic's one. We are talking about $22,000 plus car, NOT $10K-15k cheap car. What's up w/ that SOA?
    No offense, but what defference does it make?

No offense, but what defference does it make?
    I know WRX is not a luxury car, but THIS makes it look REALLY cheap! Just not what I expect from $22,000+ car. That's all.

I Support ClubWRX
    I know WRX is not a luxury car, but THIS makes it look REALLY cheap! Just not what I expect from $22,000+ car. That's all.
    I just went outside and looked at a beige 01 Millenia S. Under the hood it is a darker brown color. This car was about 30k when new.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.