"you cant gun it untill u hit 500 miles"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on "you cant gun it untill u hit 500 miles" within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i know im not the only one whos dealer told them this when they bought their brand new rex. i ...

"you cant gun it untill u hit 500 miles"

i know im not the only one whos dealer told them this when they bought their brand new rex.
    i sure did and im kinda scared...
    its hard for us....well for me
    but i actually did it and when i hit that 500 mile mark, it was like the first day i got my lisence. hahahah

how many people here actually "followed the rules"
    my dealer told me even though its under warranty that the turbo would break w/ a new turbo car, and i cant really go past around 4k rpm's.
    it was hard but i did it.

who here actually listened and followed directions, or is all this BULLSH*T?
    around how many miles until u really put the pedal to the medal???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yes it can be bad for your car! the #1 reason is because it has bad oil in the car from the dealef evan thought it is a 06 chanses are the oil has been in the car for over 5 months and when that old nast oil goes in your car it can be bad for the turbo lol, but you should be fine and don't worry it is really hard to kill the stock turbo!

ok kool i ws really worried

anyone else hear this myth?
    cuz i actually have been kinda driving hard and when i turn off my car it smells weird, maybe its the new turbo breaking in... if that even makes any sence.
    what do u guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by 06WhiteWRX
    anyone else hear this myth?
    I wouldnt really call this a myth, its not just for the turbo, other parts such as the piston rings need the initial break in period to get settled and properly set.
    Cobb Stage two and a half.

Yeah, no myth. Break-ins are for real.

You want a hard break-in period? Try getting a Hayabusa. Knowing how fast it will go and having to baby it for 1000 miles. It sucks.
    "Someone sh*t on the coats."
    -Dane Cook

I was told to wait 1000 miles, and I did. I think alot of people did the same.
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

If anyone read the service manual that comes with the car, they would see that break-in = 1,000 miles.
    -Max.

06 STU STI
    2006 STU Pro Solo Natl. Champ.
    www.zzyzxmotorsports.com

my dealer told me 500 miles is okay

I think it's all a bunch of baloney.

In fact, you want to punch it a few times to seat the rings.

And whoever said that the oil from the factory sucks apparently didn't call SOA like I did. I was told to keep it in until 3K as the make-up is intended to facilitate break-in.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi
    I'd love to have a tree house for adults in my backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWRXWag
    If anyone read the service manual that comes with the car, they would see that break-in = 1,000 miles.
    yeah, def.
    Also, you don't want to maintain a constant speed for too long when breaking in the engine the first couple hundred of miles.
    I also suggest changing the oil right about 1,000 miles (there will be metal shavings in the oil, etc)
    Just don't be dumb and launch the car off the dealer's lot...or try to race mustangs on the way home.
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by wrxlude
    yeah, def.
    Also, you don't want to maintain a constant speed for too long when breaking in the engine the first couple hundred of miles.
    I also suggest changing the oil right about 1,000 miles (there will be metal shavings in the oil, etc)
    Just don't be dumb and launch the car off the dealer's lot...or try to race mustangs on the way home.
    lol no i tried not to. it was tempting tho haha.
    its funny cuz on the way home from the dealer a mustang tried to race me haha.
    so yeah im gonna take ur advice and change the oil at 1k miles. after that i can just do the regular 3k mile oil change right?

Yeah, 3k, and think about if you want to switch to synthetic. A lot of turbo guys do, and there are arguments either way. I feel with boost and lots of fun revs, synthetic is better.
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by wrxlude
    or try to race mustangs on the way home.
    Why would anyone participate in such a fundamental waste of time? Racing a Mustang is like racing a fat kid on a bicycle. It's just pointless.
    "Someone sh*t on the coats."
    -Dane Cook

The break in period debate continues...If you want your car to last a long time it is better to follow the break in rule. However, there are reports of people driving it hard right off the lot and they wind up getting better HP #s in the future. To each his own.

That smell is a little bit of clutch, new tires, and a whole lot to do with the spray that they put on the engine for shipping that is being heated and burned off. It is normal for Subaru.

But, 500mi is the wrong answer for the WRX, at least for the 02 - 05.

0mi - 1,000mi - Keep the car under 4,000rpms, do not floor it, vary the rpms, do not drive in a single gear for a long period of time, dont go on long trips and leave it in 5th.

1,000mi - oil change - removes any sediments that could be in your oil thanks to the break in period.

1,000mi - Anything - Drive as fast as you can afford.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast