"you cant gun it untill u hit 500 miles" - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on "you cant gun it untill u hit 500 miles" within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT The break in period debate continues...If you want your car to last a long time it ...

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    The break in period debate continues...If you want your car to last a long time it is better to follow the break in rule. However, there are reports of people driving it hard right off the lot and they wind up getting better HP #s in the future. To each his own.

That smell is a little bit of clutch, new tires, and a whole lot to do with the spray that they put on the engine for shipping that is being heated and burned off. It is normal for Subaru.

But, 500mi is the wrong answer for the WRX, at least for the 02 - 05.

0mi - 1,000mi - Keep the car under 4,000rpms, do not floor it, vary the rpms, do not drive in a single gear for a long period of time, dont go on long trips and leave it in 5th.

1,000mi - oil change - removes any sediments that could be in your oil thanks to the break in period.

1,000mi - Anything - Drive as fast as you can afford.

hahah i like that
    well i hit 1005 miles today and got the oil change already so i feel comfortable.
    as far as the break in rule, yeah i only followed it untill 500 miles after that ive been having my fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalNuke
    I think it's all a bunch of baloney.

In fact, you want to punch it a few times to seat the rings.

And whoever said that the oil from the factory sucks apparently didn't call SOA like I did. I was told to keep it in until 3K as the make-up is intended to facilitate break-in.

I was told 4-5k for before the first change, and dont go nuts till 500 after the new oil. That way the turbo bearings and what not can break in. I changed to synthetic after 4000 miles on the break in oil. Then I changed it again at 6000 miles to get back on the 3 track
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    I was told 4-5k for before the first change, and dont go nuts till 500 after the new oil. That way the turbo bearings and what not can break in. I changed to synthetic after 4000 miles on the break in oil. Then I changed it again at 6000 miles to get back on the 3 track

wow i never heard about that... seems like alotta directions to follow

Quote Originally Posted by 06WhiteWRX
    cuz i actually have been kinda driving hard and when i turn off my car it smells weird, maybe its the new turbo breaking in... if that even makes any sence.
    what do u guys think?
    The cars come with a coating on the engine to protect it from the salt, during shiping. It takes a few hundred miles to "burn" off. It smells almost like a burning clutch if you get a good wiff of it. Maybe that's what you're smelling.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

I never followed the break in rules. I floored my car the first time I left the parking lot and floored it all the way home. My oil seems fine and my car seems fine. The proper way to break in the engine is to shift to third gear at low RPMS and floor it all the way to redline. Do this a couple of times and it should seat the rings correctly. I did mines on the free way ramps.
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

I was more safe then sorry when I bought my car. Kept it under 3k the first 1,000 miles, then kept it under 4k until 3,000. I'm CrazY!
    05 White WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #7

Quote Originally Posted by scotts05
    I never followed the break in rules. I floored my car the first time I left the parking lot and floored it all the way home. My oil seems fine and my car seems fine. The proper way to break in the engine is to shift to third gear at low RPMS and floor it all the way to redline. Do this a couple of times and it should seat the rings correctly. I did mines on the free way ramps.
    Like i said, its a huge debate. There was a whole letter/article in the latest Motor Trend on this topic.

They decided to agree with the safe way, over the hard way.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

interesting...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.