Alignment after install new rims/tires?

This is a discussion on Alignment after install new rims/tires? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So, I just got new rims/tires installed, and was wonder if I need alignment... my friend who works on his ...

Alignment after install new rims/tires?

So, I just got new rims/tires installed, and was wonder if I need alignment... my friend who works on his own cars all the times says that I don't need it unless there're signs of needing one, but the dealer is telling me that I need one? any suggestions guys?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, it depends. If you do not see signs of unexpected -- note, I am NOT saying uneven, I am saying unexpected -- wear, or if you do not want to change the way the car handles, then no, you don't need another alignment.

For example, there are alignment settings that I'd love to drive around with. They produce uneven wear. I expect this to happen. If this is the wear I see, that's fine; no need for another alignment. Now, if the wear is different from what I'd expect and/or the car isn't handling correctly (IMO, since I chose the alignmnet), then I'd look at getting an alignment done.

At the very least check that each side is wearing similarly.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by silver_wrx
    So, I just got new rims/tires installed, and was wonder if I need alignment... my friend who works on his own cars all the times says that I don't need it unless there're signs of needing one, but the dealer is telling me that I need one? any suggestions guys?

If you have never had it aligned you should do it anyways... (they dont really do it from the factory anyhow)
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

Cool, thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Well, it depends. If you do not see signs of unexpected -- note, I am NOT saying uneven, I am saying unexpected -- wear, or if you do not want to change the way the car handles, then no, you don't need another alignment.

For example, there are alignment settings that I'd love to drive around with. They produce uneven wear. I expect this to happen. If this is the wear I see, that's fine; no need for another alignment. Now, if the wear is different from what I'd expect and/or the car isn't handling correctly (IMO, since I chose the alignmnet), then I'd look at getting an alignment done.

At the very least check that each side is wearing similarly.

I've done alignment a bit over a year ago, when I noticed the tires are uneven....

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    If you have never had it aligned you should do it anyways... (they dont really do it from the factory anyhow)

Quote Originally Posted by silver_wrx
    I've done alignment a bit over a year ago, when I noticed the tires are uneven....

you should do it at least once a year anyhow, I bought a lifetime allignment from firestone for like 175 bucks, I can do it once a week if I want to.
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident