+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New Member within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I'm a noob been viewing this forum for a while now as a guest, and hope to one day ...

Hi, I'm a noob been viewing this forum for a while now as a guest, and hope to one day join in as a fellow WRX owner, I was just curious as to why is the STI and WRX turbo has such a huge gap in terms of HP and TQ, seems like a waste for a Turbo to only put out 235 HPs when the STI's turbo puts out 300.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

no one?

from what I've heard the TR and standard WRX are down graded from the factory. If I've heard right they can really get around 285 or so but if you could buy a TR with that much power why buy a STI? So subaru jsut downgrades the power as a marketing scheme. That's what i've heard atleast. Hope this helps.
    owner of a stock (for now) 2005 WRB WRX limited.

One big difference is that the WRX has a 2.0l engine and the STi has a 2.5. I think the WRX's boost is only ~12lbs (correct me if I'm wrong guys) and the STi has 14.5lbs of boost. I'm not sure if the STi has a bigger turbo or not, but possibly.
    You might also want to do a search as well.
    Dr. Awesome, TR's have 235 HP stock, not 285.
    Last edited by mike05STi; 02-14-2006 at 03:22 PM.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

I know they have 235 stock. I was saying that they have been downgraded from 285 from the factory because who would buy an STI when you can get a TR with 15 les HP for alot less. It's all marketing.
    owner of a stock (for now) 2005 WRB WRX limited.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Welcome to the club
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Quote Originally Posted by dr. awsome
    I know they have 235 stock. I was saying that they have been downgraded from 285 from the factory because who would buy an STI when you can get a TR with 15 les HP for alot less. It's all marketing.
    Oh, I see what you are saying. Yes it is marketing but I would almost guarantee that if it did have 285, it would still only cost proportionately less than the STi. But I still think it would be a good idea as a platform for someone that wanted 'not-far-off' performance of the STi but wanted to mod and upgrade quickly. I bought my STi for out-of-the-box peformance...for the time being. I have a 240Z that I want to build/modify first.
    And yes, welcome to the club Ethnic6. How inconsiderate of me.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

well why not make it 265 like the 2006 Maximas and other sedans. I just feel like its such a waste to put a turbo on a car and it only puts out 235 HPs, but then I personally think people would still buy the STI even if the HP was at 285 just because of the prestige itself, I mean its like buying a Maxima SE or a Maxima GXE (sorry, my current car is a Maxima so I"m using it as an example) lol

Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi
    One big difference is that the WRX has a 2.0l engine and the STi has a 2.5. ....
    WRX/TR also have 2.5l

Quote Originally Posted by ethnic6
    well why not make it 265 like the 2006 Maximas and other sedans. I just feel like its such a waste to put a turbo on a car and it only puts out 235 HPs, but then I personally think people would still buy the STI even if the HP was at 285 just because of the prestige itself, I mean its like buying a Maxima SE or a Maxima GXE (sorry, my current car is a Maxima so I"m using it as an example) lol
    don't forget that it's only a four cylinder engine

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner
    don't forget that it's only a four cylinder engine
    which is why I'm saying its just such a waste to put a turbo in a 4 cylinder when it only puts out 235HP, and I was wondering, with exhaust and intake mods as well as headers etc, how much of a gain would a TR get?

Quote Originally Posted by ethnic6
    which is why I'm saying its just such a waste to put a turbo in a 4 cylinder when it only puts out 235HP, and I was wondering, with exhaust and intake mods as well as headers etc, how much of a gain would a TR get?
    Not mutch without EM, maybe 10hp from the TBE, and nothing from intake but noise.

dont forget about internals.. to the best of my knowledge (which could be wrong) but the 2.5 in the wrx TR has different internals than the STI.. but with good enigne management and the right bolt ons, you could see some serious numbers...

such as?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.