'06 WRX TR vs. '05 STi
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on '06 WRX TR vs. '05 STi within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys, new to the forum and I have to say that you guys seem to be a pretty good ...

'06 WRX TR vs. '05 STi

Hi guys, new to the forum and I have to say that you guys seem to be a pretty good bunch of people.

In any case, thought I'd ask this as a search yielded small to no results.

I'm in the market for a new (or used) car, and I've narrowed it down to 2: '06 WRX TR or an '05 STi. I really like both cars, but to be honest, I love all the things that the STi stands for (somewhat nicer interior, nicer engine components, more power, etc.).

Do you guys think that it'd be worth it to go for the STi? I love to mod my cars and would probably mod the heck outta either one. But I'm not a track person at all, so I wouldn't be planning on taking it to the strip or autocrossing.

I can afford both price-wise (insurance, etc.), the STi would be a bit more, but not to the point where it's ridiculous. On the STi, I'd be worried that it's a used car, whereas with the TR, it'd be new.

What do you guys think? Should I save money, be responsible and get the TR, or just go with the STi?

Thanks for your feedback!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

welcome, there are a bunch of good people here as i myself am still finding out. I actually just bought an 04 sti about 2 months ago. it has 33k on it wich is quite a bit but it was in great shape and i could afford it so i got it. but i got mine from a dealer so i have a warranty so its basically a new car and i love it.i think you will be happy with either one but definetly make sure your planning with your budget . also most of the time any mods will void a warranty wich will soon be my problem. so if you plan on modding the car you probably wont have a warranty either way. damn actually this is a hard decision. i dont know bu ti do know you will be happy with a subaru
    Blobeye Syndicate #19

IMO If you don't mind modding the car, then I would get the TR. With some suspension upgrades, some exhaust parts, a larger turbo and a good tune you should easily be able to put down STi power.

If you want to keep the car stock I would get the STi and have a factory warranty and be happy.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone
    IMO If you don't mind modding the car, then I would get the TR. With some suspension upgrades, some exhaust parts, a larger turbo and a good tune you should easily be able to put down STi power.
    That's what I figured. I wouldn't want to go too crazy from the get-go, maybe TBE and AP. Then eventually step it up from there.

I think that the TR might be a better choice since I could get it for less than the STi out the door, it would have better financing, and a longer warranty than the STi.

Thanks for your feedback and keep it coming guys!

Come on man if you can afford the STi do it. I have an 06 WRX and if I could have found an STi when I was looking it would have been a no brainer. The STi is a lot better than a TR.

+1 on the STi

The STi is in a different level compare to the TR.
    If you could afford the STi and the insurance, then the STi is a way to go.
    Of course, I'm talking about the STi in a good condition though.

BTW, since you like to mod, have you thought about Evo?
    2008 STI (JDM)

2006 STi (JDM) Graduated

Renntech S-Class (USDM)

Quote Originally Posted by STIinJapan
    BTW, since you like to mod, have you thought about Evo?
    Thought about the Evos, but I have had too many friends with reliability problems. Also, I'd have to get one used, and I'm not too keen on used Evos. Love those cars nevertheless.

The only thing that I guess I'm concerned with is the fact that I'm comparing a used STi vs. a brand new TR. I've read many posts from people that upgraded from regular WRXs to STis and it seems like it's night and day. Any STi owners out there that think it's worth the upgrade? Or in this situation, getting an older car vs. a new car?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltforge
    Hi guys, new to the forum and I have to say that you guys seem to be a pretty good bunch of people.

In any case, thought I'd ask this as a search yielded small to no results.

I'm in the market for a new (or used) car, and I've narrowed it down to 2: '06 WRX TR or an '05 STi. I really like both cars, but to be honest, I love all the things that the STi stands for (somewhat nicer interior, nicer engine components, more power, etc.).

Do you guys think that it'd be worth it to go for the STi? I love to mod my cars and would probably mod the heck outta either one. But I'm not a track person at all, so I wouldn't be planning on taking it to the strip or autocrossing.

I can afford both price-wise (insurance, etc.), the STi would be a bit more, but not to the point where it's ridiculous. On the STi, I'd be worried that it's a used car, whereas with the TR, it'd be new.

What do you guys think? Should I save money, be responsible and get the TR, or just go with the STi?

Thanks for your feedback!
    havent got to drive an 06 yet but ill say that when i got to test an 05 STi, it was pure hotness! plus you never have to worry about breaking a gear even compared to the upgraded 06 box.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_bxr
    havent got to drive an 06 yet but ill say that when i got to test an 05 STi, it was pure hotness! plus you never have to worry about breaking a gear even compared to the upgraded 06 box.
    Seems like everyone I've talked to (dealers, STi owners, etc.) seem to really like the gearbox on the STi. That's one of the things that swaying me toward the STi as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone

If you want to keep the car stock I would get the STi and have a factory warranty and be happy.

My suggestion to you is, if the 05 STi is in good condition, get it. I know that you can get the TR for a lower price and than mod it. But why bother and modding it will also void the warranty. Get the STi and keep it stock for now, this way you won't void the warranty. Trust me, even stock the STi can kick some butt...
    Looks are everything...

I Support ClubWRX
    Have you driven both cars? The STi's suspension has traditionally been stiffer than a WRX's. (Admittedly I haven't driven an '06 WRX) You may like or dislike the driving feel of one car over the other. Go take them both for a spin before you go too far down this decision tree.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I've been in both the TR and the STi and yes, the STi's suspension is a tad bit more bouncy. But then again, I like to throw coilovers on my cars almost within months of getting them.

Question about warranties, will and can the dealer void my warranty if I change my exhaust to a turbo-back exhaust? I would consider getting an AP, but would probably reflash back to stock every time I went in for service.

Question about warranties, will and can the dealer void my warranty if I change my exhaust to a turbo-back exhaust? I would consider getting an AP, but would probably reflash back to stock every time I went in for service.
    Hopefully I can explain this correctly (guys (and gal) correct me if I'm wrong). They won't technically void your warranty but they can deny your warranty claim if they think the TBE caused failure of a part. Like for example if your turbo breaks down, they can say the TBE caused premature wear on it and will not accept your claim, but it will not void your warranty.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

if ur worried bout it being a used car there is always CarFax

With a TBE and AP you still wont be as fast as an STi (straight line or in the curves) and if the dealer finds out he can refuse to warrantee the work. Get the STi the trany alone is worth it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.