'06 WRX TR vs. '05 STi - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on '06 WRX TR vs. '05 STi within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by GUYofSTEEL Get the STi the trany alone is worth it. One Plus!...

Quote Originally Posted by GUYofSTEEL
    Get the STi the trany alone is worth it.
    One Plus!
    05 White WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #7

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I bought one used car long ago with a warranty, and it turned out to be a pos. Problem with a used car, is you dont know who had it or what they did to it.

Hell i wouldnt buy my focus i traded in, theyd have to pay me to take it. I feel bad for whoever buys it cause i beat o nthat thing pretty bad.

Also think of this, your getting a warranty, however, the warranty will not cover things like the clutch, as my gf just found out the hard way. She bought a civic thru honda 2700 miles ago, and the clutch just went up, and its got 35k miles on it, and the dealer is charghing her an arm and a leg for replacing the clutch cause its "normal wear and tear" even tho theres no reason a clutch should go at 35k miles unless the previous owner was burning it up all the time.

Plus if something DOES have to be fixed, your gonna be without your car while its being fixed.

Thats why i got an 06 wrx tr instead of a used STI or EVO.

STi ftw
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony06WRX
    I bought one used car long ago with a warranty, and it turned out to be a pos. Problem with a used car, is you dont know who had it or what they did to it.
    I've had great experiences with used vehicles. It's all in knowing what to look for..
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    I've had great experiences with used vehicles. It's all in knowing what to look for..
    What would you recommend I look for if I choose to get the used STi? If I do, I'm planning on using CarMax

I Support ClubWRX
    Check all the fluids to see if everything is nice and clear.

Ask carmax if you can have compression check done if you pay for it yourself.

Ask to spend a day with the car.

The STi is fairly bulletproof and the 05 had very few, if any, build issues.

Struts are about the only thing I can think of. Try driving it on rough roads and listen for clunks from the rear.

BTW...as someone who has owned all of Subarus performance platforms, hands down, the STi would be my choice. It's not that much rougher than a WRX. Long drive is can bounce you around though.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Carmax was where i got the car, and it was 30 days warranty. If i was to buy a used car, id get it from a major dealer who would give a "factory" warranty.

well i would go tr hands down.. i also haved owned a 04 sti . it feels like the 06 wrx tr is just more of a daily driver.. anyway if all else fails get both. and mod both.. ps tony06 wrx// did u buy?? and 06 wrx from carmax.. what did u pay. how many miles...
    Last edited by lowerlevel; 06-26-2006 at 04:38 AM.
    civicdreamin....

Also have the car put onto a lift. Make sure nothing is dented or pinched My mistake when purchasing a used car is that I didn't do it myself.

I Support ClubWRX
    As much as I love Sti's I went with the 06 TR. Its hard to buy the 06 STi for the $$$$$ IMO. OTD depending where you get it is between $10k-$12k more than the TR for new and you're looking $3k-$5k rouhgly more than the TR for a used one.

If you haven't driven an 06 TR, do so. I have driven every year WRX and finally bought the 06. It is a completely different car from 02-05. It has way more power despite what the factory ratings say, and is a blast to drive. The 5MT is new this year and finally downshiftable with no grinding. I plan on doing an AP and MAYBE a TBE, but I havent found a situation yet where the TR's power wasn't adequate. I have driven and owned many different boosted cars including an EVO 8 and the turbo lag comparatively to previous model years and other cars is nonexistant. Boost could be a little smoother when applying the gas under load, but is fixed with the AP and most of the time insignificant. I find the suspension to be a tad soft but it handles better than almost any FWD or RWD car out of the box, and my kidneys love me now over my previous coilover cars. Having not been able to for the last 5 years and 2 cars, I can now hit speed bumps at speed and back out of my driveway without scraping.

That being said Sti's are awesome machines. I personally don't care for the blue stripe in the interior or the Ginormous "LOOK AT ME" wing (especially with the cops out here in Cali), and after owning a few 6 SPD manuals find myself shifting from 4th to 6th most of the time. True you get Brembo's, but the 06 TR also comes with 4 POT front brakes which are an upgrade over 05. One huge thing I was concerned about was the lack of DCCD in the WRX, but have to date found 0 situations when I would have used it. Under hard cornering on asphalt or clover leaf assalting I find my TR pretty neutral with a mild tendency to oversteer. The intercooler sprayer is very cool and definatly usable in the CA 100+ degree weather, but is dooable as a mod in a wrx.

I talked to several Subi dealers to get a feel on used WRX's and was told numerous times that 3 out of 5 used STi's that come in don't pass the factory Subaru safety inspection and get bounced out to auction. Based on this and knowing how I would drive an Sti, decided not to buy used.

In the end it came down to the TR being a very capable street machine for the $23400 I paid for it. And I haven't regreted it once.

Hope this helps.

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats on the purchase!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me
    As much as I love Sti's I went with the 06 TR. Its hard to buy the 06 STi for the $$$$$ IMO. OTD depending where you get it is between $10k-$12k more than the TR for new and you're looking $3k-$5k rouhgly more than the TR for a used one.

If you haven't driven an 06 TR, do so. I have driven every year WRX and finally bought the 06. It is a completely different car from 02-05. It has way more power despite what the factory ratings say, and is a blast to drive. The 5MT is new this year and finally downshiftable with no grinding. I plan on doing an AP and MAYBE a TBE, but I havent found a situation yet where the TR's power wasn't adequate. I have driven and owned many different boosted cars including an EVO 8 and the turbo lag comparatively to previous model years and other cars is nonexistant. Boost could be a little smoother when applying the gas under load, but is fixed with the AP and most of the time insignificant. I find the suspension to be a tad soft but it handles better than almost any FWD or RWD car out of the box, and my kidneys love me now over my previous coilover cars. Having not been able to for the last 5 years and 2 cars, I can now hit speed bumps at speed and back out of my driveway without scraping.

That being said Sti's are awesome machines. I personally don't care for the blue stripe in the interior or the Ginormous "LOOK AT ME" wing (especially with the cops out here in Cali), and after owning a few 6 SPD manuals find myself shifting from 4th to 6th most of the time. True you get Brembo's, but the 06 TR also comes with 4 POT front brakes which are an upgrade over 05. One huge thing I was concerned about was the lack of DCCD in the WRX, but have to date found 0 situations when I would have used it. Under hard cornering on asphalt or clover leaf assalting I find my TR pretty neutral with a mild tendency to oversteer. The intercooler sprayer is very cool and definatly usable in the CA 100+ degree weather, but is dooable as a mod in a wrx.

I talked to several Subi dealers to get a feel on used WRX's and was told numerous times that 3 out of 5 used STi's that come in don't pass the factory Subaru safety inspection and get bounced out to auction. Based on this and knowing how I would drive an Sti, decided not to buy used.

In the end it came down to the TR being a very capable street machine for the $23400 I paid for it. And I haven't regreted it once.

Hope this helps.
    Very Nice write-up!! I picked up my '06 TR last Monday too, and I can attest to everything you said. I did look at two STI's before the TR, but as you said, I couldn't justify spending the 5 or 6 grand more for a USED car over the TR. And yes, I'm sure most used STi's have been ran VERY hard at times. I've put 720 miles on my '06 TR in a little over a week. I've already tested it's limits, so I can only imagine what I'd do with an STi.

Also, look at it this way. The STi (which, in this case had about 35k miles on it) was about 5 grand more than my TR (which I got for 24,400 with the spoiler and fog lights). For way less than 5 grand, MY TR COULD RUN WITH OR EXCEED AN STI. Especially the older ones with the EJ20 in them. I dunno, I think I made the right decision by going with a brand new car.

Enough rambling for now.
    2006 World Rally Blue Pearl TR Sedan.
    OEM fogs
    OEM Rear deck lid
    -much more to come-
    VAG-EYE-NA is a beautiful thing!!
    Lifes Necessities: Food,Clothing,Shelter and SUBARUS!!

get the sti. the TR will be a used car in a few months anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by GUYofSTEEL
    With a TBE and AP you still wont be as fast as an STi (straight line or in the curves) and if the dealer finds out he can refuse to warrantee the work. Get the STi the trany alone is worth it.

So my 06 TR with just a downpipe being dead even with an STi through 1-3 gears and then getting walked by one car through fourth says... what?

Then after putting on a TBE and AP, and beating EVO's, what does that mean?

The 06 TR w/ TBE and AP will definitely give an STI a run for it's money in a straight line. I've never driven an STI but I don't think I'd wanna compare their cornering abilities. But still, this statement about straight line performance is just plain misleading. I eat 350Z's for breakfast from a roll..
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #027

95 Mitsu 3000GT TT Sable Black
    2006 WRX TR Crystal Gray Metallic

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3...dwrxsig5yd.jpg

I too opted for the TR over other used WRX's/STi's, because these cars are driven hardevery once in awhile (some more than others)...it's just a fact, but with my 06 I know that i'm the only one driving it hard in a responsible way.
    06 VF39'd WRX 270awhp 295wtq @15psi
    Should I OpenSource and ditch the AP?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #006

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast