gas milage question

This is a discussion on gas milage question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This is my first post and I though I would put it here instead of the engine performace section. Obviously ...

gas milage question

This is my first post and I though I would put it here instead of the engine performace section. Obviously I'm looking to get a WRX. I want a fun car that I will want to keep for a very long time and it's looking like this is the one. But I also don't want to be paying for it at the pump. I know that advetised they get around 20-26 depending on the driving you do. I would be doing mosly city as this would be my DD. I would like to keep it pretty stock as it would be plenty fast for me right now. (I'm moving up from a 67 VW baja bug) I searched and couldn't find the answer I was looking for so I'm was wondering how much HP and milage gain would I get from a intake and exhaust upgrade. I do have to pass emmisions where Iive so that is a factor in the system I use. I would also no like to spend tons of money but I know I will have to spend a fair amount to do it right. I would also like to keep the noise level to a lower level if possable. Thanks for the help in advance/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have a 2005 WRX and I average about 240 - 260 miles per tank; I also have performance upgrades. I do city driving most of the time and very few and short freeway run about. As I'm typing this, my gas is between 1/4 and E, and have 260 driven miles and will gas up later today.

IMO, I think it's pretty good in terms of gas mileage for such a car.

Although, I'm having hard time accepting that you can't find information on intake and exhaust gains... these topics have been beaten to death. I'll help you out.

There are options you can choose, turboback exhaust or catback. I suggest getting a turboback exhaust. This will give you substantial and very noticeable gains. It will eliminate restrictive CATs to either none, or to one high-flow CAT. As of passing emissions, check up on your state's law, that will give you better answers. A catback alone will give you less gains than a TBE will provide, since it is the least restricitive. In terms of exhaust volume, that is very subjective, but check out Exhaust video and sound clips.

Forget the intake, instead, get an up pipe. This will improve and decrease spool time. Check out Intake FAQ from another great WRX forums.

We also have a sticky in here called "Good first mods", read up on it. You see, all the information you need are within your reach, you just have to spend a little more time with searching. I hope this helped you out a bit.
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 02-13-2006 at 01:11 PM.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

For around town mileage you're probably looking at around 20 mpg. I don't really consider this as "good". Also you NEED to run 91 or better octane rating.

An intake will really get you nothing. The turbo creates like 16 psi of boost, where the 0.nothing of pressure loss that an aftermarket intake will save you is negligable.

If you want to stay stock then you're really only looking at a catback exhaust, in which case you will only see maybe 10 hp power gain and basically nothing for gas mileage.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by Me&05WRX
    I have a 2005 WRX and I average about 240 - 260mpg per tank
    Holy crap! 240-260 miles per gallon? Thats amazing! Sorry..thought I'd point out your typo. But I agree with what your saying, the WRX gets pretty decent gas mileage, you just have to drive it right.

first off I would like to state that I did rear all the stickies and did a search. Ifound HP numbers but no gas numbers.
    So from what I'm hearing is that with an up pipe and a new turbo back exhaust I could get around 10 more HP but no gain in gas milage? That doesn't make sence to me much but you guys are the experts. Is there any way to boost the milage other than driving style that is realitivly inexpensive and easy to install? I have quite a bit of auto experiance just not with newer imports at all.

Originally Posted by Me&05WRX
    I have a 2005 WRX and I average about 240 - 260mpg per tank

Holy crap! 240-260 miles per gallon? Thats amazing! Sorry..thought I'd point out your typo. But I agree with what your saying, the WRX gets pretty decent gas mileage, you just have to drive it right.
    Notice he said per tank not per mile. Sorry but I think you read the typo
    owner of a stock (for now) 2005 WRB WRX limited.

I drive mostly highway, but I do some city driving and messing around. On the highway I normally do about 80-95 mph and I still get 325 miles to a TANK. All I have is a drop in K&N. I wounder what I will get when I go AP.

Welcome, forget about the catback and intake for any upgrades. They don't do much on WRX's. If you want to improve gas mileage, get an uppipe-downpipe-tune. When I was stock, I was getting around 260 miles to the tank. Once I got the up and down pipe it jumped to 340.
    05 White WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #7

that seams like it would be well worth the money for that much of a milage boost. Once again showing how little I know about the import scene around how much would I bee looking to spend for a good tuned up and down pipe? I don't need top of the line but I don't want something that will fall apart on me in the middle of the desert either.

in my 04 w/ AccessPORT, 91 oct map, and drop in K&N I usually averaged between 22-26 mpg (300-350 miles per tank). It's too early to tell on the 06 since I'm still in the breakin period but so far it doesn't look that high. I'm hoping it gets better once the ECU has learned a bit more.
    2004 White WRX (R.I.P.)
    2006 White TR replacement
    1998 V5 Grey STi

Quote Originally Posted by dr. awsome
    That doesn't make sence to me much but you guys are the experts. Is there any way to boost the milage other than driving style that is realitivly inexpensive and easy to install?
    Gas mileage is solely dependant on driving habits. There's just no parts that will help improve your gas mileage if that's what you're asking, although, it may not be entirely correct. There are also many variables that can increase or decrease mpg, like living in a steep hill, busy downtown area, long freeway trips, etc.

Those performance parts that's listed on my signature are parts that does not decrease the "rated factory mpg", if driven under normal circumstance. When driving spiritedly, then it will decrease it more than when it was stock. But, if you do decide to push it more and upgrade the turbo, then that will affect the mpg indefinitely.

In terms of TBE and an up pipe, this will improve your car's performance with very little impact in mpg (as I have mentioned). And when you include an engine management with it, such as Cobb AccessPORT, it will bump up the performance even further. I'm loving my car now and happy that I went this upgrade path. I used to hate it (well... not that bad) when it was stock, but it's a different car now and it's been great! If you have any other more questions, shoot me a pm or something, I'd be glad to answer or at least lead you to something that can help answer your questions.

Also, thanks for pin pointing back that "typo" comment. I don't appreciate it when people would make comment about a small typo and not commend the effort of taking the time to share the knowledge and links to help answer the questions. I just found it plain RUDE!
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 02-13-2006 at 10:56 PM.

I'd like to add keeping up to date on your oil changes and maintance services will help in your gas mileage.
    April 04 WRBlue Pearl MT <--"Stitch"
    Mods: Premium Package,STI short shifter and titanuim knob,Momo Airleather shift knob,Rota Formels 17's,AP Stage 2,Coolsafe Thermostat, Apexi Intake, RallyArmor mudflaps, Bosal Cat-back exhaust, Crucial Racing Down-pipe, gold painted calipers,daddy's group buy 3 52mm gagues, center pod, delphi xm radio, JVC CD reciever

hey thanks for the info! That was exactly what I was looking for. A stocker is plenty for my at the moment as I am upgradeing from a old shcool bug. Granted it has a bigger motor but it still only puts out around 90 HP and goes to 60 in around 18 seconds. So I think I will wait on the upgrades for a while. But when I do decidet do them, expect more questions from me.

If you're planning on hold off on upgrades, one thing that will make your car perform would an engine management. I recommend Cobb AccessPORT! You'll be set for a while, especially if you're heading for a 2006 model. The 2005 models (if there any left) is a little disappointing for me. I came from a 1997 Toyota Corolla where power seemed to be neglected and built just for the purpose of getting from point A to point B.

I'm not buying new. I guess I could but it doesn't make sense to me to spent twice as much for a new car when I could get a 02 locally with 47k miles for $13.5k that's stock. I just got an insurance settlement from an accident that I was in where I completely shattered my back and couldn't move my legs for 3 days. The settlement is for $225k but I'll be getting around 130 in my pocket after all my medical bills paid. I want to get a good fun reliable car but I would rather take the other 11K it would take to buy a new car rather than a used one and invest it. Since I'm only 20 I have a lot of life ahead of me and that money could make it lot less stressful in the future. I'm looking at it like I don't have the cash for much although I do. I really don't want to squander what I'm getting but I still want to have a little fun with it at the same time. But I could cahnge my mind about buying new who know's we'll se what happens.