Best first HP mod: AP or up-pipe/down-pipe?

This is a discussion on Best first HP mod: AP or up-pipe/down-pipe? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What would be the best way to spend the almost 0.00 for a Cobb AccessPort? Get the up-pipe/down-pipe done or ...

Best first HP mod: AP or up-pipe/down-pipe?

What would be the best way to spend the almost $600.00 for a Cobb AccessPort? Get the up-pipe/down-pipe done or get the AP first?

I've done some searching and it seems that the general concensus is to get the Cobb first. But almost all of the posts say that the up-pipe/down-pipe swap would gain you an even more noticeable HP increase if done in conjuction with the Cobb. If that's the case wouldn't I want to have that done BEFORE I reprogram the stock ECU?

Let me know what you all think.

thanks,
    KrustyTC
    Last edited by KrustyTC; 02-09-2006 at 02:03 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    AP first. You can actually use Stage 1 until you install the downpipe. A downpipe alone may not let the engine run at its best. An uppipe would be good anytime.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

With 600 dollars I say buy the AP.
    05 White WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #7

+1 for the ap =]

With your 2002 I believe you will get more gain out of AP than the up and down. If your end goal is to get it all I don't think it really matters that much.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

Quote Originally Posted by Trainable
    With your 2002 I believe you will get more gain out of AP than the up and down. If your end goal is to get it all I don't think it really matters that much.

+1

but if theres gonna be a considerable amount of time between the mods get the AP first you get safe power and no CELs then when you get your pipes its gonna feel that much better....and still no CELs

Sounds like the Cobb AccessPort is definately the way to go. I appreciate all the posts, they've really helped.

Will I notice a big difference with the Stage 1 over stock? I know Cobb's website claims something like a 30 horsepower gain. Do you really feel that?

I've got a Perrin Performance drop in air filter on the car right now. No real noticeable difference, I just like that the car can breathe a little easier.

thanks again all,
    KrustyTC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KrustyTC
    Sounds like the Cobb AccessPort is definately the way to go. I appreciate all the posts, they've really helped.

Will I notice a big difference with the Stage 1 over stock? I know Cobb's website claims something like a 30 horsepower gain. Do you really feel that?

I've got a Perrin Performance drop in air filter on the car right now. No real noticeable difference, I just like that the car can breathe a little easier.

thanks again all,
    KrustyTC
    Feel? Yes, but it is more of a smoothness in the power delivery. The powerband is wider as well. It is the ECU mapping SOA should have given us.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

+1 for the AP.
    I agree that Subaru of America should have given us this ECU mapping right out of the factory.
    I think you'll notice more smoothness with the 04/05 WRX's as it makes the transition (hesitation ~2750-3000rpm @WOT) from open loop/closed loop smoother.

The AP is the safe way to go. If you get the UP/DP first, your turbo will be spooling quicker, but your fuel delivery will remain unchanged, potentially leading to detonation.
    Stage 1 on the AP is pretty noticable. Once you get the AP, push the Stage 1 map to your ECU, then drive it. Remove the Stage 1 map, and drive it stock. You'll notice a difference. Stage 2 is even nicer
    You can also think about it this way. You'll spend ~600 on an AP, (~400-450 used if you look for an AP for sale thread), and gain (according to Cobb) ~33HP safely. It's probably the best bang for the buck mod out there.
    Last edited by anfernee; 02-12-2006 at 09:01 AM.