Undecided, need advice!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Undecided, need advice! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Currently i am in the process of buying a new car. I am completely undecided between 2 cars. 2005 SRT-4 ...

Undecided, need advice!

Currently i am in the process of buying a new car. I am completely undecided between 2 cars.

2005 SRT-4 ACR
    2005 WRX

I love both of these cars. The SRT-4 i don't even know how long i have wanted. I know that everyone here will say "Buy the WRX" but thats not my question.

Why should I buy a WRX over an SRT-4?
    Is it true they are notorious for Tranny Problems?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The biggest thing is the AWD followed by a close second of interior comfort. You really need to drive to decide and make sure you consider what you need the car for when driving it not just how quick it is. Oh and don't let the saleman pressure you into gunning it before you want to and have already gotten an overall feel for the car, once you do your mind switches gears and you might miss something you don't really like about the car. If it is close after than you might as well save the cash and get your SRT-4.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

another thing is that subarus hold their prices very well, and from what ive seen the srt-4 hold their value like a 10 year old hols his alcohol

though srt do have the mopar stage upgrades which is nice, though with to much hp u are gonna get some pretty instence torque steer, thats why FWD like to race from a roll, that and the little traction

I too was in this same situation when i bought my wrx, i just like the wrx a little bit more even though the headlights are very similar
    Last edited by UofAWRX; 02-09-2006 at 09:16 AM.
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.

Do nudists have nightmares of showing up to class fully clothed?

I Support ClubWRX
    04 and up WRX had stronger transmissions, and unless you are brutal on them, hold up very well.

SRT4 will make tons more HP for the dollar.

WRX >>>>> than SRT for traction.

Can drive WRX in the winter and actually have fun doing it.

WRX value holds better than SRT4

The perceptions for each type of owner is different.

Although a WRX is still an Impreza, an SRT4 is still a Neon. Which would you rather say your drove?

Have to crank up the rear windows on an SRT4 manually.

IMHO, an SRT4 just can't look that mean, but then, scoops and wings from a WRX aren't everyones ticket.

SRT4 has a much better in house support program and dealers seem to be more mod friendly, but that is just conjecture on my behalf.

SRT4 sounds like a truck with aftermarket exhaust....WRX sounds like a harley.

SRT4 costs less than a WRX.

I could go on and on. If you make your decision based on anything I've said here, ultimately, you will not be happy. Drive them both and listen to your heart.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

YBNormal07 just gave some great advice. Take that to heart, and you should do just fine either way. I was between them both as well when I was purchasing, and besides the subie dealer being way cooler, my wife thought the SRT was ugly, and since she would be in the car alot, she had a vote too!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Personally, I would take a hard look at the 06 WRX TR. It would probably be a little more money, but Subaru made A LOT of improvements to the 06 WRX. The engine is the same 2.5L that comes in the STi, the tranny is much improved and stronger, the brakes are finally worthy of the car, and the interior is much better. Granted, the new front end styling is a little "love it or hate it".
    As stated above, you really need to drive both cars (prefferably on the same day), and make a decision. Good luck. You'll be happy either way.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Can drive WRX in the winter and will have fun doing it.
    Corrected

Quote Originally Posted by UofAWRX
    the srt-4 hold their value like a 10 year old hols his alcohol
    Oh to be 10 years old and a heavy drinker again how I miss those days.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    04 and up WRX had stronger transmissions, and unless you are brutal on them, hold up very well.

SRT4 will make tons more HP for the dollar.

WRX >>>>> than SRT for traction.

Can drive WRX in the winter and actually have fun doing it.

WRX value holds better than SRT4

The perceptions for each type of owner is different.

Although a WRX is still an Impreza, an SRT4 is still a Neon. Which would you rather say your drove?

Have to crank up the rear windows on an SRT4 manually.

IMHO, an SRT4 just can't look that mean, but then, scoops and wings from a WRX aren't everyones ticket.

SRT4 has a much better in house support program and dealers seem to be more mod friendly, but that is just conjecture on my behalf.

SRT4 sounds like a truck with aftermarket exhaust....WRX sounds like a harley.

SRT4 costs less than a WRX.

I could go on and on. If you make your decision based on anything I've said here, ultimately, you will not be happy. Drive them both and listen to your heart.

+1 on all of that

i take it you have driven both of them...wichever choice you make will be a good one

imo the thing that put me over the edge between these two cars...was reliability and the awd...i needed a car that i could drive all year round and a car thats gonna last a long time..needless to say we know the car that can do that

It all depends on what YOU WANT.

SRT-4 = Fast Fun Car, not much else.. Great Value / Dollar
    WRX = Better Daily driver, nicer car (AWD, interior) [im obviously biased]

so its the classic Pure and cheap performance vs Performance with Comfort...

so like the Lotus Elise vs SLR McLaren.. not the best example, but you know what I mean

Test drive them both and see which you like more.. thats the only real way to findout
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

I was in the same boat you are in right now before i bought my suby. The thing that made me finally choose the Roo was that it had AWD and it was a Japanese make. I've talked to a lot of people and reliability wise, Subaru sounded pretty good. The perception thing was a huge thing too. From what I've recently experienced, people give so much crap towards SRT-4 drivers. They classify it as a 16 year old FasT3R! car. I'm not puttin down the dodge it any way. It all comes down to what you want more in a car. (obviously)
    05 White WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #7

As to the tranny qustion my friend works at Dodge as a mechanic, and has SRT4's in all the time for blown tranny's. Pick your poison.
    Honda's are like tampons every P---y has one.

the WRX tranny is a lot stronger then you think... if you're under 250-300 whp and you know how to use the clutch and dump the clutch at every red light you'll be fine.
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

Why don't you test drive both of them and decide. Make up your mind and don't ask us for advice, ****.
    <--- Robert

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.