Want the WRX, but probally getting an RSX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Want the WRX, but probally getting an RSX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So i've been around here, and the one thing I'm afraid of with the subaru is the tranny. I'm not ...

Want the WRX, but probally getting an RSX

So i've been around here, and the one thing I'm afraid of with the subaru is the tranny. I'm not really looking to mod the car, it was just going to be a daily driver.

Still in consideration:

its between the WRX, SI, and RSX

AWD Turbo is just so appealing, and rsx is just so not

but i've gotta consider what's best for my money wise, not gonna have the money to fix the WRX if I break it

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Most of the tranny problems happened with 02's. Even then you most likely won't have a problem as long as you know how to drive it and don't beat the crap out of it. Especially considering your not going to mod I highly doubt you'll have any transmission problems as long as you know how to drive.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333
    Most of the tranny problems happened with 02's. Even then you most likely won't have a problem as long as you know how to drive it and don't beat the crap out of it. Especially considering your not going to mod I highly doubt you'll have any transmission problems as long as you know how to drive.

+1 The tranny shouldnt be an issue esp. since its a daily driver not being modded. The 05+ have double coned 1st gear synchros and the transmission is improved over the 02. There are loads of people with 02+ with lots of mods and stock tranny.
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

I Support ClubWRX
    Transmission-wise you are good to go. Those issues were addressed in late 2003 though the current models.

"AWD Turbo is just so appealing, and rsx is just so not"? Good luck on the WRX hunt.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Hokietuner
    So i've been around here, and the one thing I'm afraid of with the subaru is the tranny. I'm not really looking to mod the car, it was just going to be a daily driver.

Still in consideration:

its between the WRX, SI, and RSX

AWD Turbo is just so appealing, and rsx is just so not

but i've gotta consider what's best for my money wise, not gonna have the money to fix the WRX if I break it

If your worried about money get the RSX, it is like 17000 where as the WRX is like 10 grand more... Unless you are talking type s, thats only like 21 or 22, but still the wrx is faster, awd, 4 door. You are comparing apples and oranges... And who cares anyways, the scooby has a 70000 mile pt warranty from the factory.
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    And who cares anyways, the scooby has a 70000 mile pt warranty from the factory.

That true I hadn't though of that since your not going to mod it you'll be able to keep the warranty.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Get the Suby. You're not going to hurt the tranny unless you really, really make a concerted effort. Same goes for the Acura, I suppose.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

If you live where it snows then definetly get a WRX you will love AWD. Otherwise your decision is harder and you should consider the new SI, that car is awesome for $20K. The RSX-S just has leather and more weight so the extra hp it has is neglible plus it doesn't have an LSD. If you have never owned a DOHC VTEC honda before then you should know that the car is a torque less bastard that has to be driven like you stole to make it go fast. It is fun at first to pull it to 8k rpm and chirp 2nd, but the wider power band of the WRX is so much better for normal driving especially if yoru getting an '06.

+1 on the subaru

if your buying new from the dealership theres a couple things you should know...

you get a warrenty...its in its 4th model year since coming to the US, you would think they made it mechanicaly more reliable...you get a warrenty...subaru is a long lasting extremely reliable company that has been around for years...you get a warrenty...read this site you will find everyone here who owns a wrx 2002 and up dont have tranny problems occuring all of the time, and when they do its because they were driving hard, racing or its highly modified...and last, you get a warrenty

dont let worry consume you and stop you from getting the car you want...especially if its gonna be brand new

and if you do buy the rsx i suggest you never step foot in a wrxs driver seat your gonna cry...

most often before i purchase a car, i also look into the cost to maintain the car and some possible what if's(normal things that break, i usually lurk a forum and look up what most people typically have problems with before i purchase a car)...generally if i cannot afford the what if's i can't afford the car. since you are looking into the what if's and you can't afford fix something if it breaks (supposing for some reason it isnt under warranty) then you cannot afford the car. for instance, i could of gotten an sti, i wanted an sti, i could technically afford an sti but, if i gotten the sti, i would not of been able to have a social life, i wouldnt of been able to go into a mall and buy a new shirt or jeans every now and then, or go out to nice dinners and do other extra curricular activities.plus, i really wanted to personalize my car myself and i felt that there was nothing left to do to an sti besides tint the windows... 300 hp is enough for me, theres always someone faster and if i feel like a need for speed i can just take out my grandpas soon to be in may lingenfeltered 01 vette. 550hp/577tq, should be plenty to get a thrill, as it sits now with a few mods its fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by RexisMe
    generally if i cannot afford the what if's i can't afford the car. since you are looking into the what if's and you can't afford fix something if it breaks (supposing for some reason it isnt under warranty) then you cannot afford the car. for instance, i could of gotten an sti, i wanted an sti, i could technically afford an sti but, if i gotten the sti, i would not of been able to have a social life, i wouldnt of been able to go into a mall and buy a new shirt or jeans every now and then, or go out to nice dinners and do other extra curricular activities.plus, i really wanted to personalize my car myself and i felt that there was nothing left to do to an sti besides tint the windows...
    +1 but it was the ins that killed me...
    04 Java Black Pearl - Sleek Eye

All you see is my license plate... SCOOBY-X

Quote Originally Posted by GOD The Almighty
    Patrick, you are a complete accident

The 05-06 RSX-S looks so freakin hawt
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

If you look at the rsx forums they have tranny problems as well....gear grindage etc. My first suby was a 05 wrx which is now driven by my brother in law..I now drive an 05 STi. Trust me boosted AWD is friggin' sweet! I must admit though the rsx does have more creature comfort but if that's what you're looking for this is not the place.

Every sport compact car will have owners complaining of tranny problems. That is what happens when you slam gears like Brian Spilner. Also kids who launch the hell out of these cars that weren't meant to be drag cars does not help a tranny over the long haul.

you really can't go wrong with any of the 3 cars you are considering - they are all great and it really comes down to what suits your needs the best. i am a big fan of the RSX b/c i used to own one and they are fun cars - but completely different from the WRX. the new Si is blast to drive as well - and a good value for the price.

good luck with whatever you choose. luckily my girl has an '05 RSX-S -- so we swap cars a good bit and i get to enjoy the fun of the high-revvin' VTEC engine (and tire chirping) - and she gets to feel the rush of the torque and boost of the WRX. it's a win/win situation for us both!

2006 WRX TR
    cobb sport springs / cobb catback exhaust / other stuff...

http://static.flickr.com/49/138745946_b3a485eccb_o.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.