V8 guy....new to WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on V8 guy....new to WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've admired the WRX since its debut. I'm big Chevy fan and love my Z28. I will not part with ...

V8 guy....new to WRX

I've admired the WRX since its debut. I'm big Chevy fan and love my Z28. I will not part with it. But 375hp and ~3800lbs.....its drinks gas like an alcoholic at beer festival! lol.

Anyway. I'm looking at the 06 WRX TR...(i don't need no stinkin options!) for later this year as a daily driver. I read a lot of the posts on how to buy them....and getting them for like 22k sounds very nice.

Right now i have two n00b questions i did some research so please don't flame me.
    -you '06 guys, what gas mileage are you REALLY getting. I have fun driving...so i want some realistic numbers.
    -is it necessary to put 91 in? ***don't flame me here, let me explain***

The reason I ask about the 91 is that is what goes in the Camaro. Big engine, big power, it just runs better on it. Now if someone came to my Camaro boards from an import board and asked that...they would get beat down with the answer. But most imports can do the lower octane without any problems. This will be a daily driver (i drive a lot), and it is a 4-cyl. But with a turbo i figured it might like to drink the better stuff. What is a REALISTIC take on this.
    *let the flaming begin*

-Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have an 06 TR and I live in Glen Ellyn. I drive pretty hard all the time and I get about 20 mpg.

have a 04 drive hard and get like 20 all arounf that is like 230 each fill up, and yes you do need to put the 91 in you car, if you dont it will run really bad have slow boost and will ping! so spent the $@ more and put some 91 in

yes like the dude before said putting 91 is essential for cars with turbos. and really u dont save that much by putting in 87 in. well jeffery most imports besides those with turbos or Type-s or Si after their name dont require 91 octane,

Also please dont add a BOV
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.

Do nudists have nightmares of showing up to class fully clothed?

Quote Originally Posted by UofAWRX
    yes like the dude before said putting 91 is essential for cars with turbos. and really u dont save that much by putting in 87 in. well jeffery most imports besides those with turbos or Type-s or Si after their name dont require 91 octane,

Also please dont add a BOV
    Thanks guys.

BOV?

I Support ClubWRX
    BOV= Blow off valve

I have an 06 LTD and I average around 22-24 MPG. Most of my trip is about 15 miles of going 55-60 mphs. With the increased torque of the 06 you dont need to floor it as much around town to get moving, and with the 3.70 final drive it does pretty good on the highway (never had to downshift to 4th on the highway yet). My car doesnt see life above 3k rpms much but the I've done a few sprints on one tank of gas and it was around 18 mpgs.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Welcome. The difference in price between premium and not is only a few dollars a fill up, however, the performance difference is huge. Also, the possiblity of damaging something, and paying big rebuild bills is not good.
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Good luck with the hunt. Welcome to the club
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

3800 lbs and drinks gas? my Z28 weighs 3630 with me in it and 3410 with out me. It get 23 MPG the way i drive it which is not too bad. People with 6 speeds have seend 30 MPG
    2000 Z28 MTI clear lid, K&N Filter, Larger Blure MAF ends, SLP Smooth bellows, Camaro SS catback with cut out, Tubular rear lower control arms, 13.3@106 and 316 RWHP

nice....my GTO gets around 20mpg so its not that bad...
    2005 GTO Yellow Jacket 6 speed
    2005 SRT4 flame red 5 speed
    2006 Subie impreza 2.5i regal blue automatic

Quote Originally Posted by tx77015ls1
    3800 lbs and drinks gas? my Z28 weighs 3630 with me in it and 3410 with out me. It get 23 MPG the way i drive it which is not too bad. People with 6 speeds have seend 30 MPG
    Well, most Z's are right around 3450 ~. I'm 200. Then figure a full tank of gas. +100 lbs of stereo equipment as well. I have a converter so that kills my mileage around town.

I get about 14 city, and 24 hwy (with AC off).

Oh come on... if you're thinking of adding another performance vehicle as a DD you aren't *really* concerned with fuel economy...

2 things:

1) No BOV, (as already mentioned; the fast and furious crowd usually wants one as first mod but they give you no benefit on a stock machine)

2) No CAI. Also no bennie on a stock machine, in fact can cause the car to run lean.

Welcome to the circus...
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

Just got my '06 3 weeks ago so I have been paying attention to this info on my Sube since to get a better projection of it for future commuting.

MPG - I fill up from dead empty every week. 15gal tank costs (average) $43 to fill up and I get (average) 360 miles on a full tank. That comes to about 22.6mpg. I drive about a mix of 33/33/33 highway/rural/city.

Gas- Ya, even the sticker will warn ya to use at least 91oct.

<------- It sure beats my VX, which gets roughly 10-14mpg. *sigh*
    gary noonan | senior artist | animator
    Bethesda Game Studios

Yeah if you're looking for a gas saving eco car as a DD, lol i'd be looking at different cars.

I have been irking right around 26 - 27 for my highway commute and this is doing 75+ most of the time. When I get on back roads and play a little I drop to the lower 20s.

Yeah the WRX won't be happy with less than 91 and if your area has 93 that would be my pick.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.