Breaking In
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Breaking In within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; How did you break in your engine? Just want to know how each members did theirs...

Breaking In

How did you break in your engine?

Just want to know how each members did theirs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I followed the instructions, and kept it less than 4k for 1k miles, except for a very occasional instances when I slipped. It felt like it would take forever, and now I have 37k on her in no time. It is worth it for prolonged engine life. I also switched to synthetic oil at about 25k or so.
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

It's actually fine to switch to synthetic much earlier thank 25K miles. Some people feel that synthetics wouldn't offer the same resistance to wear as regular dino oil, however, synthetics have developed markedly over the last decade, and some products such as Mobil 1 offer better wear resistance than conventional oil - this on top of the added synthetic benefits of having a higher resistance to thermal breakdown and ease of starting on a freezing winter morning.

I've heard of people switching to synthetics right around their first or second oil change at 2,500-3,000 miles with no issues.
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I mainly followed the owner's manual, but also:
    kept RPM below 4000 & kept out of the throttle (50% and less) for 1500 miles
    varied engine RPM up and down to let the rings break in for 1000 miles
    changed to Mobil1 5W30 synthetic & Purolator oil filter at 1500 miles
    between 1500 & 2000 miles I crept up to redline (~500 RPM for every 50 miles)
    i still haven't hit WOT (damn close but haven't straight floored it)

now at 4000 miles and climbing...

The engine comes off the lot with Synthetic in it.
    And, apart from that, just follow the instructions in the book!

EDIT
    I checked with the dealer after reading Drummer's comment. Despite what I was told, the oil in them is not synthetic. So I switched to synthetic a little early.
    Last edited by kevlarcupid; 02-02-2006 at 04:52 PM.
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

I'm not going to clame to know enough to say one way or the other but I found the following link to make for some very interesting reading.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a mild craving for something salty."

"there are only three real sports: bullfighting, mountain climbing, and car racing."

Quote Originally Posted by boston813
    I'm not going to clame to know enough to say one way or the other but I found the following link to make for some very interesting reading.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
    That's been around for a while, and there're plenty of questions about if it's functional or not. Just the fact that it's written for motorcycle engines is enough to make me very hesitant to follow these instructions. I know, "an engine's an engine." But...
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

Quote Originally Posted by kevlarcupid
    The engine comes off the lot with Synthetic in it.
    And, apart from that, just follow the instructions in the book!
    the engine does NOT come off the lot with synthetic in it. it has regular organic oil.

i followed the manual for the break-in, but did an oil change (with regular oil) immediately after that. after reaching the first scheduled oil change (approx. 3700 miles) i let them put motul synthetic.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    i followed the manual for the break-in, but did an oil change (with regular oil) immediately after that. after reaching the first scheduled oil change (approx. 3700 miles) i let them put motul synthetic.
    Agreed. Somewhere around the first scheduled oil change (which normally will happen bewteen 2,500-3,500 for most owners) will be the best time to switch to synthetic. That'll give the engine plenty of time for the cams, seals, piston rings, etc to be seated and broken in on the conventional dino oil.

Also, it goes without saying that conservative revs are best in the first 1K miles and then steadily increased afterwards...
    2006 Steel Gray WRX TR
    13.74 @ 98.25mph w/ 1.9 60ft (bone stock)

#170/70 D-Stock
    Dual BRR/WDCR SCCA member

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.