New to Subarus, I have a few questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to Subarus, I have a few questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello there, My name is Nuke I am currently looking to buy a subaru, and I'm new to subarus I ...

New to Subarus, I have a few questions

Hello there, My name is Nuke
    I am currently looking to buy a subaru, and I'm new to subarus
    I am interested in the 2006 wrx (the front is kinda wierd at first, but I'm getting use to it )

I was reading up about some of the 200x wrx and see that some have transmission problems

I was wondering if anyone know more about the 2006 wrx's transmission

Please dont flame on me

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Form what I gather, the tranny problems were only on the older WRX's. There are alot of people that are running a good amount of power on their stock trannys that have yet to have trouble. I have been running my setup for a while now and have yet to have any problems.
    Cobb Stage two and a half.

Peachypumpkincheeks

The subies that had the infamous "glass transmission" are only the 2002 thru 2003 models. And the only trannies that suffered were ones that were driven hard. Many people have great success with their stock tranny handling power, as long as you treat it right. But the new '06 WRXes exhibit strengths in all the areas that the former models were weak in.

To get you started on the right path, I suggest you check out these links:

The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.

Oh, and and welcome to The Club!!!!
    Last edited by Speedette; 01-31-2006 at 02:06 PM.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

I would really have to say that it is all in how you treat it. If you shift very hard and fast and you launch the car regularly, then you have a much better chance of ending up with a tranny full of gear pieces.

If you are smooth on the shifting and on the power delivery, your trans will have a better chance to live into old age.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone
    I would really have to say that it is all in how you treat it. If you shift very hard and fast and you launch the car regularly, then you have a much better chance of ending up with a tranny full of gear pieces.

If you are smooth on the shifting and on the power delivery, your trans will have a better chance to live into old age.
    +1
    Couldn't have said it better.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

well, thanks alot for welcoming me to the forum

I plan on using this car as a daily driver, i drive 60 miles a day, 30 there, 30 back (yes, 30 even miles, lol) and dont plan on racing, but do want to build up (maybe in the future) to gain some more power, just because I'm like more power, dont plan on doing any hard speeding or anything

So I think this car fits me over the STi, which I had plans on getting too, but the price was really high compare to what I was limited to (25k average)

and I love turbocharged cars

I'm currently driving a 95 civic hatchback with a jdm b16a swap (no, not a ricer either)
    Used it as a daily driver for half a year (original engine was very old, blew on the highway, I was going 55 and suddenly BOOM, a hole in the block) So my friends ordered me the motor and swapped it for me

The civic is doing me fine, but car is old, some rust, and the feeling inside the car doesn't make me feel 'comfortable'
    Gas mileage is good, 30 miles per gallon, I can last 5-6 days going to work on a full tank

I got inside the wrx, and was like, nice, i feel good inside this car.

So what do you think the pros and cons are to the 06 wrx in your opinion

Peachypumpkincheeks

Pros:
    *Enthusiastic community of subaru owners
    *Turbo-powered!!!
    *Fun to drive
    *Can be reasonably modded to improve performance but remain a daily driver
    *The hoodscoop
    *Reliable, Japanese engineering
    *Unique in its own way
    *Great aftermarket product availability
    *Decent price for a great sports car (especially because we all can't afford BMWs, Mercedes, etc.)

Cons:
    *Subaru sucks at honoring warranties. If you fill your car with gas you have basically just voided the warranty according to SOA
    *Only takes 91+ octane premium gas, with just decent gas mileage
    *Isn't a Lexus (as in the interior cannot compare to a BMW/Lexus/etc.)

[QUOTE=Speedette]

Cons:
    *Subaru sucks at honoring warranties. If you fill your car with gas you have basically just voided the warranty according to SOA
    QUOTE]
    Really??? I have heard that Subie is good with warranties and that Mitsu (with the Evo) were the ones that were really bad about honoring warranties. Do you have any examples and such, so I will know what to expect from the dealer if I ever have to take mine in?
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

really, how does filling up your car with gas voids the warranty

Peachypumpkincheeks

Well I was exaggerating a bit with the gas thing, but seriously, SOA is horrible to their customers and very reluctant to honor warranties. Just do a little search on this forum and you will see!

For instance, 3rd gear went out on one members transmission. SOA wouldn't honor his warranty because they said it was because he was racing. 3RD GEAR!!!???!!!

There are many other horror stories as well, I'll try to find some links and post them.

Not to mention I'd rather take my car to be fixed/modified at an accredited shop rather than take it to a stealership, err...dealership!

Peachypumpkincheeks

Oh, and if you have aftermarket parts and SOA refuses to honor your warranty, definitely research the Magnussen-Moss Act and try to fight it!

The Magnussen-Moss Act specifies that in order for a dealer or car manufacturer to deny a warranty claim, that dealer or manufacturer must prove that an unauthorized aftermarket part caused the damage to which the warranty claim pertains.

http://www.deniedmywarranty.org/index1.html
    Last edited by Speedette; 01-31-2006 at 05:56 PM.

Of course no dealership wants to work on a warranty, they don't get paid for it. All you have to do is complain over and over to the service manager and they will most likey go your way. Most dealerships will not warranty cars that have been modified, just put your car back to stock and you shouldn't even be questioned.

anyways, if your going to mod your car or drive it hard, be prepared to suffer the consequences. The Subaru is made to be driven hard, but not abused.

-alex

How would it be possible to see if a 2003 wrx has the "glass tranny"? Are there certain production runs where this is evident or is it an overall problem? As this is a possibility I am looking for in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke209
    I am interested in the 2006 wrx (the front is kinda wierd at first, but I'm getting use to it )

The 06's really will grow on you especially when you own one. IMO its the best looking WRX yet. Drop it a little and you got a sweet looking ride. Somehow I wish I got the black wagon.... All I can say is get the '06 and forget about the sti. For the extra $8+k you can have a car much faster than a STI.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.