Downpipe question

This is a discussion on Downpipe question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have an aftermarket Invidia V2 catless downpipe. Im am wondering, are aftermarket downpipes shorter than the stock downpipe? Reason ...

Downpipe question

I have an aftermarket Invidia V2 catless downpipe. Im am wondering, are aftermarket downpipes shorter than the stock downpipe? Reason Im asking, is becuase last night with my STi, I tried putting the stock catback back on (I currently have an invidia turboback exhaust), and went through some complications . I noticed that the stock axleback would not fit as it used too. It seemed as if the entire exhaust was moved about 2 inches towards the turbo, which is why Im asking if aftermarket downpipes are shorter. The axleback absolutely would not come in contact with the stock mid pipe. Any reason for this? My guess is that the aftermarket downpipe is made about two inches shorter than normal....
    when the turbo spins the bull**** ends

My mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

this isn't something I've heard of, Invidia's exhaust pieces usually replace the downpipe as well as the catpipe. Very odd. . Something doesn't sound right.

You took this off a wrx and are putting it on a STI? What year?

No, no..
    I have an 05' STi.
    It was stock, until I put the full Invidia Turboback exhaust.
    Now im running too much psi an my fuel has cut off due to the exhaust.
    I switched the invidia axleback to the stock axleback. Stock one didnt fit with the rest of the Invidia exhaust. Didnt match up. The stock axleback couldnt reach the rest of the invidia exhaust by about two inches. Thats why I was wondering if Invidias exhaust is about 2 inches shorter than the stock exhaust....I will find out tommorow hopefully.

My mods

Well the invidia midpipe seems to be 2 inches shorter than the stock midpipe. I will see how it goes..

My mods

GOOD NEWS!
    To anyone who has ever encountered the same problem, an aftermarket midpipe is in fact 2 inches shorter than the stock exhaust system!! That explains why a stock axleback will not match up with an aftermarket midpipe. I ended up swapping my invidia mid and axleback for my stockers. Works perfect now, I will see later tonight if I still experience dramatic boost spike

My mods

get some engine mang. and then u wont have to wrroy about it
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.

Do nudists have nightmares of showing up to class fully clothed?