06 Worth the Cash? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 06 Worth the Cash? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I took an 05 that was still at the lot out for a spin then got back and immediately took ...

I took an 05 that was still at the lot out for a spin then got back and immediately took out an 06. The difference in torque due to the 2.5L was very noticeable. The quality of Subaru is great as well... To me it's a no-brainer between an SRT-4 and the WRX.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i was looking at this again and this link was at the bottom Initial 06 WRX Dyno Results
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.

Do nudists have nightmares of showing up to class fully clothed?

23K Out the door?!?!? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU! YOU BETTER GET THAT CAR NOW!

Expensive to mod? compared to any N/A car it isnt bad at all.. and you can find a TON of parts on clubwrx/nasioc/anyothersubaruforum.

I guess its expensive to mod compared to like a 1stGeneration DSM... but I really dont think its bad at all if you consider the amount of horsepower you get vs the amount of money you spend.
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by le wagon
    the only thing that would make it better than an sti is the tbe and eme
    with that turbo set up it would be same as stock sti

so basically you could get tbe and em and be almost same as stock sti..
    IMO if your upgrading the turbo.. go bigger than stock sti turbo.
    Actually a TBE and EMS Leg GT pulls on a stock STi, so it's very possible the same will be true for an 06 WRX. Not sure as I've not driven one yet. I just tossed in the full STi induction swap to be sure
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I just got the same car for a little under 23k. While I cant have it untill tomorrow I can tell you this. GET THE SCOOBY!!!!!!!

I run a local car stereo shop and see alot of cars on a daily basis and can say one thing about diamler/chrysler cars......JUNK!
    I really hate working on them, and the fit and finish is terrible too. the subie is no lexus or acura but still has decent fit and finish. the panels dont rattle or resonate with engine speed. that neon is terrible if you pull any panels, you almost need to replace every panel clip after you do something. and the dash plastic and such is scratched very easily. they just feel very cheap to me.
    If you havent go drive the srt4 then the subie. I think youll realize which is better.
    also you cannot beat subaru symmetrical awd!!

Well, all in all, I'm considering the 06 WRX Limited myself (I'm torn between that, the GTO, the STI, and the 330i) and having driven several 04s, 05s, and 06s, the 06 is definitely the best WRX they've ever made. The car is less quirky than the 05 model, but not any less fun. I wouldn't go into a TR unless I were using it specifically for racing or autocrossing (of course, then I'd go even further with power increases and weight reduction).

In short, yes, I do think it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by TDub
    I would definately get the '06. Mine has been worth every single penny, I absolutely LOVE it. So the srt-4 *MIGHT* be a little bit quicker, but I really think the potential for the car outweighs the difference. Like the guys above said, with some careful planning and good choice of parts... it would be pretty mean.
    If there is one aspect of performance that the SRT-4 would be quicker is off the line, minimally, if you can wrestle that power down through the front wheels. Of course, the WRX gets pretty tame tires, so if you get more dedicated rubber, without any other modifications, you could be looking at a near 5 second 0-60 time. Not only is the SRT-4's power overwhelming, the fact that it is FWD makes it even harder to attain traction, and then unless you are very familiar with the chassis and can induce oversteer, most likely through lift-throttle techniques, you're just going to understeer and understeer--you'll be off the road before you can realize any type of power advantage.

As far as modifying goes, there's an IHI turbo that will get you 300 whp (not bhp, wheel) for only $849--bolts on--and reaches maximum torque at only 3200rpm. That's much more power than an STI gets. Now, if you do get a WRX TR, then you'd have one ridiculously fast car. It weighs less than an STI and would have more power.

More likely than not, this is the course that I will be taking, since I want the performance of the STI, but prefer the styling and creature comforts of the WRX Limited (I've grown up on German luxury cars, so leather and a sunroof are very important, superficial things to me), and I will be doing some suspension modifications as well (this is the reason I've joined this forum, for my knowledge of cars is journalistic, and not technical, so I need help to choose what suspension modifications I'd need to install)

So, all in all, if you know where to look, you can make your WRX very fast for very cheap.

if your gona mod the srt4 i hope ur gona invest in slicks cause those things are horrible at geting traction after being modded

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    If there is one aspect of performance that the SRT-4 would be quicker is off the line, minimally, if you can wrestle that power down through the front wheels. Of course, the WRX gets pretty tame tires, so if you get more dedicated rubber, without any other modifications, you could be looking at a near 5 second 0-60 time. Not only is the SRT-4's power overwhelming, the fact that it is FWD makes it even harder to attain traction, and then unless you are very familiar with the chassis and can induce oversteer, most likely through lift-throttle techniques, you're just going to understeer and understeer--you'll be off the road before you can realize any type of power advantage.

As far as modifying goes, there's an IHI turbo that will get you 300 whp (not bhp, wheel) for only $849--bolts on--and reaches maximum torque at only 3200rpm. That's much more power than an STI gets. Now, if you do get a WRX TR, then you'd have one ridiculously fast car. It weighs less than an STI and would have more power.

More likely than not, this is the course that I will be taking, since I want the performance of the STI, but prefer the styling and creature comforts of the WRX Limited (I've grown up on German luxury cars, so leather and a sunroof are very important, superficial things to me), and I will be doing some suspension modifications as well (this is the reason I've joined this forum, for my knowledge of cars is journalistic, and not technical, so I need help to choose what suspension modifications I'd need to install)

So, all in all, if you know where to look, you can make your WRX very fast for very cheap.
    I am assuming you are talking about an IHI for the WRX yes? Of course, to support that turbo you will need all supporting mods, so the $849 is going to get around 3K pretty quickly once you toss in tuning. Just an FYI.

I understand about your direction. It's why I traded over from the STi to a Legacy. Same engine, much more luxurious.

Also, of course to get the all around performance of the STi will cost you more than the STi in the first place, but since you want your creature comforts, I'm sure there will be a level you are shooting for a bit short of the STi. Straight line speed is the easy part...next comes turning, stopping, and reacting. That is where it gets a bit more expensive
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    I am assuming you are talking about an IHI for the WRX yes? Of course, to support that turbo you will need all supporting mods, so the $849 is going to get around 3K pretty quickly once you toss in tuning. Just an FYI.

I understand about your direction. It's why I traded over from the STi to a Legacy. Same engine, much more luxurious.

Also, of course to get the all around performance of the STi will cost you more than the STi in the first place, but since you want your creature comforts, I'm sure there will be a level you are shooting for a bit short of the STi. Straight line speed is the easy part...next comes turning, stopping, and reacting. That is where it gets a bit more expensive
    Yes, I did read that (I've been shopping on www.jscspeed.com). And even at 3K, it'll run about the same price as an STI, and much cheaper than a 330i--and I'd have more than promises to snub those who would turn their nose at me.

I looked at the Legacy myself, but I've been trying to downsize my automobiles. At first I had a 2002 E320, and then a 2004 Passat 1.8T, and now I want something smaller. The Legacy is a midsizer really, and all I can see is extra space that I don't need (I don't have a family, I'm not married nor plan on it any time soon), extra weight, and extra money. I'd love a Spec.B, especially for the greater sleeper effect you'd get over the WRX, but I'd have a hard time not buying the Mazdaspeed6 over the Legacy 2.5GT, for the extra power and extra gear, even if it isn't noticeably faster at the onset.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    04 VW Passat 1.8T
    Looking to replace with 06 WRX Limited

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12