New member here!

This is a discussion on New member here! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all, let me say a few words of introduction... I've been interested in Subaru's on and off for a ...

New member here!

Hello all, let me say a few words of introduction...

I've been interested in Subaru's on and off for a number of years, but I've never owed one. I've always been particularly impressed with the knowledge base of owners and with the level of aftermarket support (tuners and parts availability) and factory support (WRC participation).

That said, I'm probably a little older than many of the members here (I'm 38), but I'm impressed with the knowledge, maturity, and willingness to give advice and answer questions - which is what brought me here...

Some background about me, I've been a car enthusiast since I was a kid. My dad was a long-time amateur (SCCA) racer who tracked a Ford Cortina, MG-B, Alfetta GT, and a Datsun 510 through the 60's and 70's. I bought my 1st car in 1984 (a 1979 Alfa Romeo Spider) and never looked back. Over the years, I've owned a couple of Honda CRX Si's, a 1991Nissan Sentra SE-R, a 1994 Miata, and a slew of family sleds (after a wife and kids entered the picture). Since I drive a company car during the week, I have the luxury of being able to own a 2nd car that can be noisy, uncomfortable, and fun if I want. To this end, I picked up a 1988 BMW 325is last year which I've set up for the track with very well thought out suspension upgrades and mostly stock drivetrain. I basically drive it on weekends and take it to HPDE's.

Anyways, I'm here because I'm now seriously considering turning the Bimmer into a dedicated track car (for HPDE's and eventually, amateur racing) and I'm interested in buying a new 2nd street car that offers significantly higher performance. I've been considering a 1995 or 1996 Porsche 911 (993), but I'm also sorely tempted by the Subaru Impreza and Mitsubishi EVO (like I'm the 1st to compare those two!).

Well, I won't ask the obvious question about the STi vs. EVO because I think I'm already familiar with their strengths and weaknesses. Rather, I'd like your opinions on the 2006 STi vs. a modded 2006 WRX TR. I really liked the performance of the STi and I'm not looking for a 350 HPmonster. I'm thinking that I could get the TR for $10K less, spend $2K or $3K on ECU remap and suspension/tires, and have a lightweight, 270 hp "STi Jr." Is this a realistic view?

My other question is about the STi's DCCD. I love driving my Bimmer because of it's light weight, 50/50 balance, and neutral RWD handling, and it seems that the manual control of the DCCD should allow me to "dial in" RWD on the STi if I want. I've done some research and just can't find a definitive answer regarding the range of manual adjustment and the extent of the "lock" in manual mode. If you switch it to "manual" and turn the dial all the way to the rear wheels, is the STi now 100% RWD? Is the FF to RR torque transfer completely disabled? This is important to me because, in spite of the EVO's reputation for more nimble-feeling handling, it is a FWD biased car, and therefore more inclined to understeer. How about the DCCD vs. the TR's non-adjustable center diff? Is the TR going to plough through corners.

Sorry for such a long-winded introduction. I'm very enthusiastic about joining the community and about possible future Subaru ownership. Thanks for reading!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome! While I do not know the exact % of RWD the DCCD locks to, a guy in our local auto-x with an 04 STi can slide the rear around pretty good while in full rear lock, which he does depending upon the course. I do not think it is 100% rear. THere is lots of good knowledge on here, I am sure more info will flow soon!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Peachypumpkincheeks

and welcome to The Club!!!!

There's actually a huge range of ages in this forum, from 15 to 45! And the majority seem to be 23-39. So you are by no means an old member. Though you may be inquired by some of our smarta$$ members as to 'how the nursing home is treating you.'

While I actually took the time to read your whole introduction, I'm not familiar with switching the RWD/FWD power of the STi so I cannot answer your question. From my experience, your best bet is to post a 'cliff-notes' version at the bottom of your post for the particular members who like it short and sweet (aka pretty much all the boys ). You're gauranteed an answer much faster that way.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm sure as I wander the forums, I'll find the information that I'm looking for.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the WRX variants!

Brian

Welcome to the club, thats a nice lookin bmw.
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

Welcome
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!

At 44 I am one of the older members here. You are not alone - there are more.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics