Which one?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Which one? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, I am a new member, but I've always been a wrx fan. I was very close to purchasing ...

Which one?

Hello everyone, I am a new member, but I've always been a wrx fan. I was very close to purchasing a 2.5RS as my first car, but unfortunately I couldn't find a good deal. Since then, I purchased a 2004 dc5, which I've grown to love and hate.

The reason why I love it is because it is a fair (not great) daily driver. The quality of the buid materials is great. The reason why I don't like the car is because it is horrible as a trip car. Obviously, it is a two-seater so it isn't meant for long hauls, but I snowboard many times throughout the year. Also, the car's power output isn't all that great.

Soooo...

I've been thinking of purchasing a car within the next year or two. I may be thinking too far ahead, but I tend to do that. I've brought my choices down to the Subaru WRX STi or the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (not sure on which trim).

This being a WRX forum, I'm sure I will get more biased opinions than not, but I don't care. I am also a registered member of another EVO forum. I'm just trying to get input from both sides

Which car do you suggest I purchase?

I just need a car that has superior snow handling (with snow tires) and is very, very comfortable on long drives. Also, reliability is probably the highest necessity in a car for me.

RELIABILITY!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome!

Reliability? Subaru according to Consumer Reports reader surveys.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't call either car "very, very comfortable" on long drives. Between the two, I'd say the Suby is more reliable and comfortable for day-to-day use and long trips. They're both fast, handle very well, and will be great with snow tires - but they definitely aren't comfort/luxo/cruiser type of cars. I'm sure you know that already, but I just wanted to emphasize it. If you're big on comfort and still want high performance, what about a Legacy GT? It's cheaper than either an Evo or an STI and with the few thousand left over you can make it much faster and handle better. Just a thought.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

From my personal opinion, and professional reviews i've read. I belive the EVO to be a more focused track tool. And STI to be more of a street weapon. just my 2 cents

welcome! there's lots of EVO enthusiasts here, but make your judgements on your own needs.

I've taken my STi on a nearly 3000 mile road trip, it did extremely well, the car was comfortable enough for my girlfriend to fall asleep at 90mph+ speeds.

I've also been looking into the EVO, but the more research I do, the more I want to stick with the Subaru family. (my 04 STi was recently stolen right from my garage, and I'm looking for a new car.)

From what I've gathered:

EVO has a harsher ride and a much more finicky drivetrain (clutch and transfer case).
    The engine is solid, seats are fantastically bolstered, the interior us sub-par, and the car has near-supernatural handling.
    Personally I would sacrifice a smooth ride for spectacular handling, but I'm not sure about drivetrain maintenance. The seats are fantastic, but may be annoying on really long drives. There's also been a lot of talk that Mitsu is still having severe financial trouble and has reliability issues amongst many of their cars. I think I'd get the EVO if it was going to be a second car for fun only..

STi is a bit softer on the eyes and the interior feels a little nicer (at least looks nicer). It has a smoother ride, more low end torque, and a transmission that would survive a direct nuclear impact. The seats aren't as nice as the EVO's, but they're comfortable. Personally, I think the STi fits me better. I need a car to be my daily driver and a weekend track warrior. I've driven my STi in the snow for 2 seasons and (if you've got good snow tires) it's amazing what the car can do and how much control you have.

Of the 1.3 years and 30k miles I had my STi, it never once gave me any problems, acted funny, nothing... And I drove the living **** out of it (of course maintained it well, too).

As far as modifications go, everyone will say the EVO is easier and more receptive to mods, and the STi is more expensive to mod. I say whatever, I'm not going THAT far that I'll be worried about which engine can more easily hold 550 or 600hp. (So far) I am sticking with the STi because of Subaru's safety, and its everyday livability and lower insurance cost. I haven't made a purchase yet, but I'm about 90% -> STi.
    Dave
    01 RS

+1 on comfort
    Its not a Lexus, but its a great compramise.
    Its defanitly one of the cushest rides I've ever had.

plus 6th gear is heaven on the freeway.

Whenever I go snowboarding, I always want to have a Subaru STi. Not an Evolution. Reason being, The STi just seems more in place in the mountains as a family trip car.

I've been thinking about purchasing the Legacy, but I guess I'm a sucker for brand names right now.

I was thinking about a Infiniti G35, but I'm sure that vehicle wouldn't do nearly as well in the snow as any Subaru.

Korean, I have been wondering the same thing. I was just at a Mitsu dealer on Friday, and checked out the new evo mr. Man, that thing is nice. I just think you can't go wrong w/ Subaru. Mitsu being in financial trouble makes me a bit weary of getting an evo.

I do hear the evo's are runners and a lot easier to mod.

As many people have said before, the stock STI tires are not as good in the snow as they should be. The stock evo tires on the other hand are perfect for snow driving. Evo also has changed much more over the years so from 8 to 9 it's a different feel/style.(haven't personaly experienced this but have read/heard it many times) STI would have more power and just plain looks better, but my friends don't have many problems with their WRX's and when they do they always seem to have it fixed the next day. I only know of one person with an evo in my school and hes not exacly driving it everyday.(maybe cause it's an evo 7 but he's in the shop more then anything)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.