New member here, not a WRX owner......
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New member here, not a WRX owner...... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have an 04 Mustang GT and I want to add a WRX STI to my stable. I have a ...

New member here, not a WRX owner......

I have an 04 Mustang GT and I want to add a WRX STI to my stable. I have a few question about the WRX stock to stock vs my 04 GT though. If I can get traction, how would I fare against the WRX from a dig and a 40 roll. I am going to keep the mustang, but I want the WRX for more handling. Also, how is the AWD for snow driving?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!

The WRX is not a car well suited to drag racing imo, although many here do.

I can guarantee the AWD will handle snow better than a Mustang.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

please specify wrx or sti...you first talk about the wrx sti...then ask how the "wrx" compares.
    '06 wrx wr-blue

WRX = turbocharged ~230hp (and sportier) Impreza (awd sedan)

WRX STi = turbocharged 300hp Impreza with 6sp tranny, bigger brakes, stiffer suspension, better LSD diffs, HID lights, and big 'ol spoiler. (also awd).

Either one will handle snow incredibly well if you've got the right tires. the stock RE-92s that come on the WRX are moderate all-seasons, and they handle snow pretty well. Get some high-performance dedicated snow tires, and you sir, have a friggin snow-rally car.. If you get the STi, get some snow tires before you even THINK of putting it on the snow. the STI's stock Bridgestone RE070s are incredible street tires for warm weather only, they're deadly on the slippery white stuff.

Let us know if you decide to purchase one...
    Dave
    01 RS

STI is what I meant. I love the look of the sti and I wanted one soooo bad before I bought my GT, but man are they pricey. I can get an almost new low mile cobra for that money and those have 390 hp and torque. BUt, they dont have awd. I really want the best of both worlds. Having a car that will do standing burnouts and donuts and a car that will handle like a dream and launch like a mofo is going to rock. I also have a 2005 Kawasaki ZX-10R too. So when I get the STI, I will have all my bases covered. Now all I need is a boat. A fast one. Nice forum you guys got here.

The STi will spank your GT
    And yes the AWD is great (especialy with the right tires)
    Just be careful with all of the burnout crazy-ness, stock clutches have been reported burned out in as little as 9 days
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Quote Originally Posted by ZXMustang
    STI is what I meant. I love the look of the sti and I wanted one soooo bad before I bought my GT, but man are they pricey. I can get an almost new low mile cobra for that money and those have 390 hp and torque. BUt, they dont have awd. I really want the best of both worlds. Having a car that will do standing burnouts and donuts and a car that will handle like a dream and launch like a mofo is going to rock. I also have a 2005 Kawasaki ZX-10R too. So when I get the STI, I will have all my bases covered. Now all I need is a boat. A fast one. Nice forum you guys got here.
    thanks
    Be careful launching an awd car repeatedly, the awd system sees a massive shock if you do clutch dumps. The STi fortunately has a pretty solid tranny that can handle lots of power (not abuse). Rwd cars can handle it because the tires will break loose before the drivetrain shatters. Awd cars by nature don't have the luxury of breaking the tires loose, you need a stupid amount of power to do that from a standstill, and if you're running THAT much power, you've already replaced quite a bit.. the trick to launching an awd car is in the finesse, its brute force that you have to apply smoothly. learning when, how long, and at what rpm's to slip the clutch is crucial to not only a good launch, but maintaining a healthy tranny.
    Dave
    01 RS

It will spank a stock gt? If so, how about a modded gt with 262hp and 307tq at the rear wheels. Thats what I have. The GT comes stock with 260hp and 300tq at the crank. I got rearend gears too. I raced a semi stock evo from a dig and put a car on him up to 100. Not sure of his mods because the a-hole wouldnt tell me. Anyway, just wanted to see how my GT now compares to the STI. I just may buy one and find out for myself.

It will spank a stock gt? If so, how about a modded gt with 262hp and 307tq at the rear wheels. Thats what I have. The GT comes stock with 260hp and 300tq at the crank. I got rearend gears too. I raced a semi stock evo from a dig and put a car on him up to 100. Not sure of his mods because the a-hole wouldnt tell me. Anyway, just wanted to see how my GT now compares to the STI. I just may buy one and find out for myself.
    Sounds like you did very well with that evo. I'm just going of of the multiple WRX vs. GT kill stories. Either way, an STi would be a nice addition to your arsenal
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Here is my actual car. I made this vid a month or so ago and I just happened to get stuck that day in the snow on the way home from my parents house. More than an inch of snow and Im focked.

http://videos.streetfire.net/player....F-C07579CC7EF4

What's up Zx? Yeah, I hear you on wanting the best of both worlds. I currently have an 05 Altima SE, which is all modded out. I run in the 13's, but hate the FWD crap. I am looking at getting a slightly used STi, or maybe even an 06. We'll have to see....

Good luck on your purchase bro.

Carmax has an 06 STI with like 7K miles in tenn. for like $30K. I am seriously looking for one, but maybe an 05 is in order. Buying new is so costly when you pay all the markup and new car hype and then take a huge hit on it when you leave the lot. Besides the looks, how are the 06 sti's different power-wise and handling vs the 05?

Welcome to clubwrx, you from montgomery by chance?

Schaumburg/Rolling Meadows area of IL.

Schaumburg/Rolling Meadows area of IL.
    K, thought I may have known you. Guess not.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.