new here
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on new here within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi there new to the site. I currently own a mk3 turbo supra. I Am selling the car in spring ...

new here

Hi there new to the site. I currently own a mk3 turbo supra. I Am selling the car in spring and buying a new one and I have begun to resarch and look at many different cars. Many of theses cars are WRX, Cobalt SS, VW GTI, Acura RSX-S, Civc SI and many more. The cobalt SS supercharged was my fav so far but now as I read more and more on the WRX it has really begun to spark my intrest. A turbo AWD car is a good thing as I have owned 2 turbo cars before and never a supercharged car before. Plus AWD is a plus as I live in canada.
    brett M.
    1990 toyota supra turbo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome! Yes, I would think you would want the AWD. It is very nice!!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

AWD is a plus! Welcome to the forums, good luck.
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

Welcome to the site. The Cobalt SS is a torque monster, but the fwd becomes a huge limiting factor when you start stacking up the power mods...

The awd WRX is a sweet buy. I'm getting an '06 TR in 2 weeks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome!

Canada? AWD is your friend.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

anyways I have been doing some searching on the forum and reading and Have a few questions that mabye some one can answer.
    1.) Is there a downpipe that is made for the WRX that is divorced and dumps the gases to the atmostphere and do they have pics??? I have one for my supra that looks like this and was wondering if they made such things for the WRX as well:

2.) I know with most turbo cars such as my supra u can simply add a boost controller to increase the boost and make much much more power im assuming the same is for the WRX and what is the stock boost and what is a safe level to increase it too?? Also is there like a fuel cut when it reaches a certain PSI?? do u need a piggy back system or some tunning device for the ECU or what???
    3.) how realiable is the engine in the WRX in terms of modding???
    brett M.
    1990 toyota supra turbo

WRX is so much nicer then all of the other cars you listed so buy one now!

I'm not the most experienced person and you should probably look the info up on search but I can try to answer 2 and 3.

2. Let me just say this straight out. Getting more hp by increasing boost may be cheap but more then less its the fastest way to wear your engine out without other mods.

You can simply put a bc on the wrx but you can't just increase the boost to like 18 psi or you will blow your engine.
    05 WRX = 11.8 max boost
    05 STi = 14.5 max boost

My guess on how much you can increase it without too much wear on the engine would be:
    WRX ~ 12.3
    STi ~ 15
    You would really need to upgrade other parts to get more boost without having a hole appear showing one of your pistons. One major thing would be to get EM with a BC.

3. The engine is very reliable. I have never modded one or owned one but friends of mine find it easy and stable to mod their WRX/STis. And searching on the forums will show you how much people have done and what you can do to your wrx if you plan to get one.

Again I am no expert but my information is not 100% false. (researched most of it like you should research )

I Support ClubWRX
    I've dont recall seeing a DP that releases to the air...but someone might have one.

As for the BC it isnt a good thing on anything wrx newer then 04. The ECU has a pretty big delay from CL/OL where it tends to run pretty lean. It is much safer to add something like a Accessport or UTEC or some other type of ECU.

THe motor is pretty stout for basic mods. Once you start tossing on larger turbos (18g and 20g) like everything else you start to reduce it's life. A stage 2 motor should have ANY issues.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    THe motor is pretty stout for basic mods. Once you start tossing on larger turbos (18g and 20g) like everything else you start to reduce it's life. A stage 2 motor should have ANY issues.
    Just clarifying, you mean shouldn't?

Quote Originally Posted by viperuws
    Just clarifying, you mean shouldn't?
    yeah don't u mean shouldn't???
    brett M.
    1990 toyota supra turbo

My girlfreind has a Regular Cobalt, and I like it alot. I like the interior the most. Its very well done. Very clean, and alot of nice little chrome accents. It also handles pretty good. A little soft, but good. Its got alot of cool stuff too, like heated seats, steering wheel controls, pioneer radio/speakers, and a little sub in the trunk. Not alot of get-up-and-go though. Its pretty good for what it is.

Welcome to the club.

to the Corvette's little brother.

Honestly, I think the WRX is hands down a better vehicle. In terms of modability, stock capabilty, AWD and intangibles like the Boxer rumble and the looks you get regardless of it not being a "pretty" car.

I have an 06 which comes w/ 17" wheels and red painted brake calipers...I can't tell you how many people have stared at my car...a few kids have taken pictures with camera phones etc...and this was bone stock.
    2006 WRX TR: TurboXS RFL-Ti TBE, GR+ Pro Coilovers and all supporting suspension mods, Stage 3 block with CP pistons, 18g, P&L FMIC, deatschwerk 750cc injectors, PPG gears

I Support ClubWRX
    yup...i meant SHOULDNT.......
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.