Manual vs Auto
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Manual vs Auto within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've never driven stick before but I want to get a Subaru WRX. I just want to know how much ...

Manual vs Auto

I've never driven stick before but I want to get a Subaru WRX. I just want to know how much I'm missing out if I decide on an auto. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You are missing a lot. Get the manual you wont regret it i promise.

After driving my 5-speed rex for the last few months, driving an auto is boring and a lot less rewarding.
    Last edited by DJSHADOW7; 01-02-2006 at 07:20 PM.
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

I've heard you notice the turbo lag a heck of a lot more with an auto.

with an auto, you're missing the joy of that burning smell from the clutch when you launch at stoplights.
    even so, if you're getting a performance car, you'd be a ninny to get an auto.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Quote Originally Posted by dsel
    with an auto, you're missing the joy of that burning smell from the clutch when you launch at stoplights.
    even so, if you're getting a performance car, you'd be a ninny to get an auto.
    I've always said it should be illegal to sell "sports" cars with an automatic transmission.

Every car I have owned has been a manual, it may be a little bit more work but you have more control, better mpg (in general) and less weight.

you mainly just lose the control of your car! You don't have as many gears, dont have the choice of what gear the car is in at any moment, and you can't really engine break (not that engine breaking is exactly a good idea). Besides, i believe the manual has better gas mileage (wastes less gas, weighs less), and you can just cruise around in neutral to ensure that My advice, learn to drive stick on some piece o' junk car, and then buy a manual rex, cause you wont be disappointed.
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

A few hours in the rex and a few jerk/stall's and you will be a pro!
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

Quote Originally Posted by t3nchi
    I've never driven stick before but I want to get a Subaru WRX. I just want to know how much I'm missing out if I decide on an auto. Thanks.
    If you plan on buying a stick rex, I suggest you learn first on another car. The wrx is not the most forgiving car to learn on (hey I did it, but I felt horrible everytime she stalled ). But the differance between stick and auto, I think your better of waiting a bit longer and learning how to drive manual, definately worth is Good Luck!
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

My WRX was my first manual. I would never even consider buying a auto sports car. I would even rather have a manual over an auto no matter what the automoblie is, unless i plan to dive in a big city all the time.

If your going for the auto at least make up a good excuse why you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by TOOFAST88
    If you plan on buying a stick rex, I suggest you learn first on another car. The wrx is not the most forgiving car to learn on (hey I did it, but I felt horrible everytime she stalled ). But the differance between stick and auto, I think your better of waiting a bit longer and learning how to drive manual, definately worth is Good Luck!
    +1

I'm a farm boy so i learned how to drive a manual with tractors, dirt bikes, and four wheelers.

Just borrow a manual from somebody you know...or rent one for a few days or something just to learn what it is like. If you do make sure you don't learn on one with the hill holder crap.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtuner2006
    If your going for the auto at least make up a good excuse why you need it.
    the only good excuse would be not having a left foot!
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

Quote Originally Posted by kevlarcupid

or not haveing a right hand

Quote Originally Posted by kevlarcupid
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtuner2006
    or not haveing a right hand
    true dat
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

Thanks for the super fast responses.

Well, me and my dad were discussing it and he kept bringing up the point about stop-and-gos ie traffic jams. He brought up a couple other points as well but I can't remember them (I was too busy picturing myself in a rex with stick)

I think I may have to practice on a junk car. Not quite sure how to go about doing that. Maybe I'll get a friend to teach me in his old prelude. Is it hard to get a hang of manual (to the point where you won't have trouble)

Every car's manual transmission is different, so its going to take some time learning how to drive the rex even if you're a perfect driver in the prelude. But give it about a week, maybe two weeks, and you'll have no problems.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.