Manual vs Auto - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Manual vs Auto within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am currently learning to drive stick myself. BELIEVE me it is very rewarding to learn and master the technique. ...

I am currently learning to drive stick myself. BELIEVE me it is very rewarding to learn and master the technique. I've been at it for about 2 weeks and I can finaly shift smoothly 1-5 and every time I do it I feel like a champ. I am lucky enough to have a rs to learn on but i'm planning on getting a wrx soon. I couldn't dream of having an automatic wrx, it seems like such a waist. Just ask speedette....

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you need any motavation just think of all the dumb people like me that can drive a stick. If I can learn so can you.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtuner2006
    If you need any motavation just think of all the dumb people like me that can drive a stick. If I can learn so can you.
    If my mom can drive my car, you've got nothing to worry about
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtuner2006

LOL

If my good friend who is very very very lazy i might add can drive a 350Z then anyone can.... TOOFAST88 you know who im refering to
    ...If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

Blobeye Syndicate numero uno.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSHADOW7
    LOL

If my good friend who is very very very lazy i might add can drive a 350Z then anyone can.... TOOFAST88 you know who im refering to
    I don't know, I thought he was going into a wall last night, but he counter steered like a champ. Then I had to worry about myself not getting driven off the road...but thats all beside the point
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

To the OP:
    Definately get the manual. I was originally going to get the Auto, but the car was F'ed up upon delivery and I ended up with a Manual. The Lord works in mysterious ways my friend...the MT is a kick in the pants to drive. I've had it 6 days and I've put 250 miles on it - always looking for an excuse to drive (Honey, do you need anything from the store? lol). It's been raining like mad in the Sacramento area, and WRX w/ MT scoffs at the raod conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by DJSHADOW7
    Save brakes yes, but wear down clutch also..... last i checked brake pads are cheaper.
    nah it's not taht bad if you rev match. I do it all the time and have no problem with my clutch. Besides i like to stay in the "proper" gear all the time so when it's time for emergency acceleration i don't have to think about shifting to the right gear
    Also you can hit the brakes while in gear and just depress the clutch when you're almost stopped
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

this may sounds weird but i almost have trouble driving an automatic car ever since i started driving stick. also it is so much more fun to drive, not to mention that you actually get to drive the car instead of the car driving for you. I would go for stick if i were you but thats just my opinion, GOOD LUCK on your decision!!!

I learned stick on my dads truck before I got my WRX. The whole time sitting there at the dealer signing papers and stuff I was nervous b/c I had not praticed in a few days. I practiced for 2 weeks an hour a day and was pretty good by the 5 time in the car I was allowed to drive on a real road. WOOT WOOT!!
    I jumped in the truck the first time and went just like that and then my dad said to stop and go again well it took me at least 10-15mins to get going again. The next day we went to a school parking lot and i went 5 feet and stopped that really helped.
    Even though all stick's are different. I only stalled when backing out the parking spot on my way home from the dealer.

Get a stick you won't regret it unless you like have DC type of traffic where you live. I was up there and like omg this sucks I'm glad I dont have to drive it.
    April 04 WRBlue Pearl MT <--"Stitch"
    Mods: Premium Package,STI short shifter and titanuim knob,Momo Airleather shift knob,Rota Formels 17's,AP Stage 2,Coolsafe Thermostat, Apexi Intake, RallyArmor mudflaps, Bosal Cat-back exhaust, Crucial Racing Down-pipe, gold painted calipers,daddy's group buy 3 52mm gagues, center pod, delphi xm radio, JVC CD reciever

Quote Originally Posted by amccrazgrl
    Get a stick you won't regret it unless you like have DC type of traffic where you live. I was up there and like omg this sucks I'm glad I dont have to drive it.
    A large part of the reason I don't have a standard anymore. DC type traffic in my neighborhood is DC traffic.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

Quote Originally Posted by dsel
    A large part of the reason I don't have a standard anymore. DC type traffic in my neighborhood is DC traffic.
    Thats why u got tEh HoNda HyBriD!
    -Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by ly_br25
    Thats why u got tEh HoNda HyBriD!
    You right. And with that engine management, I barely get to brake and accelerate on my own.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

My $0.02:

Without a doubt go with manual! The only thing is that I'd imagine the WRX being quite difficult to learn on. You may want to get a rental manual and learn on that for a few days ;oP or whatever.

I've been driving stick for just about 9 years now and every single day its a blast, ESPECIALLY in the rex. It adds a whole new element to driving. To me, auto transmission is more steering than driving.

My advise is to take it very slowly and be patient. I remember crying when I was 15 trying to learn how to take off from a stop on a hill. In the WRX I still suck at smoothly taking off from a stop on a hill w/o using the hand-brake. I get nervous and end up revving the engine way too hard and having to let out on the clutch far too slowly ... = bad for car.

go MT...if you dont you WILL regret.

Do a search for speedette's topic. She is going throug the samething. I learned in stop and go traffic, proly not to good for the car, but a traffic jam on the way home.

Bottom line - Get a stick

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast