WRX vs. STI

This is a discussion on WRX vs. STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey I am new to the forum. I test drove a WRX the other day and was told that the ...

WRX vs. STI

Hey I am new to the forum. I test drove a WRX the other day and was told that the STI is nothing like it. I was just wondering how big the difference in performance is in the 2 vehicles. Also i was told that the reason that you cant test drive an STI is becuase in the first year 4 STI's were crashed while being test driven, IS IT REALLY THAT HARDCORE TO DRIVE? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There's a pretty big difference, like night and day.

You can test drive sti's.

You couldnt at the dealership that i went to. It was in So Cal.

When I bought my STi the dealer gave me some crap like that too. I told him If I don't test drive it, there is no way in hell I'm goin to buy it. I probally worded a little harsher at the time. They let me. I think they just want to keep the miles relatively low, and keep the joy riders out. I think you just need to convince them that you are a serious buyer.

I drove a test drove a WRX 2 years ago and it drove pretty smooth but I was not able to make a deal with the dealership. Not have driven an STi ever before (but knowing I wanted one) I signed the documents and "test drove" it 300 miles back to AL (3 days ago). Yes, there is a big difference between the 2 cars. I just cannot wait to break to break in the STi/ .

Depends where you are in SoCal, but Subaru of Santa Monica let me test drive both the WRX and the STi, and im only 17....so if your close, you might wanna try that place. btw, the STi is a big step up, even from the 06 wrx.
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

I Support ClubWRX
    I owned a wrx for a year before STi's were available. The difference is big, in many ways. Its not just faster but the whole feel of the car is better. I certainly am not knocking the wrx. I loved my wrx but the STi just felt like everything I wanted my wrx to be. If you can swing the higher price, the STi is WELL worth the money.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

you can also save the $$$ get a wrx for a new price of under 25g's put like 6k into it and u will better then any stock sti, i had a 04 STI when it got stollen i got a 04 wrx new for 22g's put like 7 in it and it is way better then my sti was, but i wish my sti was not jacked because i would still have it now

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STIGG
    Hey I am new to the forum. I test drove a WRX the other day and was told that the STI is nothing like it. I was just wondering how big the difference in performance is in the 2 vehicles. Also i was told that the reason that you cant test drive an STI is becuase in the first year 4 STI's were crashed while being test driven, IS IT REALLY THAT HARDCORE TO DRIVE? Thanks.
    Hello and welcome!

They are quite different beasts for sure. Someone very inexperienced could get into trouble fast in either car. As far as test drives it would mostly depend on your age, the sales staff and maybe the area you live in. I'm not sure if I'd buy the crash story.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
    you can also save the $$$ get a wrx for a new price of under 25g's put like 6k into it and u will better then any stock sti, i had a 04 STI when it got stollen i got a 04 wrx new for 22g's put like 7 in it and it is way better then my sti was, but i wish my sti was not jacked because i would still have it now
    Valid point. However, I believe whether or not the wrx+7k is "better" then a stock STi, is a matter of opinion.
    Last edited by TheJ; 01-02-2006 at 05:40 PM.
    -The J

well i know that there is about a 70 stock horse power difference, but how about handling?

handling is great i have cusco 02 ra on and i live it i can hit a turn that says 30 at 85mph just fine

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STIGG
    well i know that there is about a 70 stock horse power difference, but how about handling?
    Stock for stock, there is almost 50% more torque. Additionally, the power band is much smoother. You immediately notice the difference in the two cars in the low-end. IMO because of the more noticeable lag on the stock wrx, daily driving feels kinda like driving any four cylinder, until you hit 3000 rpm.
    -The J