NOOBIE w/questions????

This is a discussion on NOOBIE w/questions???? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Glad to be a part of Club WRX. I have been viewing a lot of the threads and have found ...

NOOBIE w/questions????

Glad to be a part of Club WRX. I have been viewing a lot of the threads and have found so much good info. Here is my problem: I recently purchased a used 2002 WRX with 68,000 miles for $13,900. The following aftermarket parts were installed when bought: Greddy Profec B boost controller, Greddy turbo timer (not working), HKS SSBOV, TEIN S TECH springs, AEM CAI. Thank GOD I read all the posts about the damage from electronic boost controllers. I removed it today, but after putting it all back to stock my LAMCO gauge only reads .05 at WOT. I did some research and read about the brass restrictor after the T from the wastegate actuator. Unfortunately my car seems to be missing this item, now I am assuming this is why I am only hitting .05 correct??? Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Damien02WRX
    Glad to be a part of Club WRX. I have been viewing a lot of the threads and have found so much good info. Here is my problem: I recently purchased a used 2002 WRX with 68,000 miles for $13,900. The following aftermarket parts were installed when bought: Greddy Profec B boost controller, Greddy turbo timer (not working), HKS SSBOV, TEIN S TECH springs, AEM CAI. Thank GOD I read all the posts about the damage from electronic boost controllers. I removed it today, but after putting it all back to stock my LAMCO gauge only reads .05 at WOT. I did some research and read about the brass restrictor after the T from the wastegate actuator. Unfortunately my car seems to be missing this item, now I am assuming this is why I am only hitting .05 correct??? Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
    1st off, welcome to the club! There is a lot of great info here, keep searching.

2nd, good job removing the BC. The turbo timer, you can disconnect and throw out or sell. You dont need one on our coolant cooled Turbos. Thats for older turbos. Take off your BOV and put the stock one on, it is good for up to 20psi. Nice springs. Also, remove the CAI and install the stock intake/ram air scoop if removed. a CAI is bad b/c it puts the MAF sensor in the wrong place, and tricks the ECU. Also, there are no gains since the "cold air" will be warm by the time it gets to the Turbo.

3rd, yes you need the restrictor pill in order to reach full boost (or a GM solenoid like i have for upper boost levels). Go to your dealership and request a "turbo inlet hose" and anything else that goes along w/ it. There are stores online that sell that stuff, its like $4 total.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Thanks for the info. I do not have the stock BOV or the stock airbox, I bought the car with this stuff installed. Also, about 3 weeks after I bought the car I had a really bad problem with it running really lean. In fact it threw a CEL of P0171 System to Lean (Bank 1). After searching under the hood I found that the turbo inlet hose (the flexible section) was ripped because the num nuts before tightened the hose clamp way to tight. Since then I ordered a Perrin silicone turbo inlet hose. One other thing, I bought a 3 inch TBE off of EBAY from a company called Auto Power Enterprises. The exhaust sounds great, of course no cats, has a little bit of rubbing on the under carriage. If I get an accesport, will it eliminate the need for a resistor in the EGT plug and an extension in the O2 bung?? Where could I get my hands on a stock BOV and airbox for a reasonable price????

Thanks for the info. I do not have the stock BOV or the stock airbox, I bought the car with this stuff installed. Also, about 3 weeks after I bought the car I had a really bad problem with it running really lean. In fact it threw a CEL of P0171 System to Lean (Bank 1). After searching under the hood I found that the turbo inlet hose (the flexible section) was ripped because the num nuts before tightened the hose clamp way to tight. Since then I ordered a Perrin silicone turbo inlet hose. One other thing, I bought a 3 inch TBE off of EBAY from a company called Auto Power Enterprises. The exhaust sounds great, of course no cats, has a little bit of rubbing on the under carriage. If I get an accesport, will it eliminate the need for a resistor in the EGT plug and an extension in the O2 bung?? Where could I get my hands on a stock BOV and airbox for a reasonable price????
    www.subarugenuineparts.com or try ebay or your dealer.

Perrin Turbo Inlet Hose? Does it come w/ the restrictor pill?

If you get an AP it will clear all exhaust related CEL's, but you still need to have the O2 sensor plugged into your mid pipe.
    Last edited by D0WNxSH1FT; 12-31-2005 at 02:56 PM.

Here is the path to the Perrin turbo inlet hose I am referring to:

http://www.perrinperformance.com/pro...inlet_hose.htm

Here is the path to the Perrin turbo inlet hose I am referring to:

http://www.perrinperformance.com/pro...inlet_hose.htm
    ooo ok, we are talking about different things. i might be confused haha. either way, i mean the whose that goes from ur waste gate, to the compressor, and turbo that has the restrictor pill in it.

Does anyone out there have a picture of what the restrictor pill looks like. Also is there something else that can be used to take its place??

I'm not positive, but I think that if you order the line from your dealer, the pill should be in it already.

Does anyone out there have a picture of what the restrictor pill looks like. Also is there something else that can be used to take its place??
    You could get a GM Solenoid. But if you order the hose it will have the pill in it.