new wrx owner
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on new wrx owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys. i got a 06 wrx sprot wagon about 2 months ago. i traded in a heavily modded civic ...

new wrx owner

hey guys. i got a 06 wrx sprot wagon about 2 months ago. i traded in a heavily modded civic on it. i absolutely love this car it is sooo fast. im still having trouble launching an awd car (first one) lol and lets just say, i just paid 5300 for a new tranny, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and throwout bearing. the guy i got my car from did the same to his sti, so i know im not alone on this one. anyway, hi, how are you guys?
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX sport wagon
    1993 Toyota Scepter turbo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i don't get what you mean when you say you just paid 5300 for a new clutch, pressure plate and so on?

i stripped first gear out of the tranny and they said it was my fault. so im having to pay for the repairs of everything

Wow, what a start!!! Welcome!!!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Peachypumpkincheeks

and welcome to the club!!!

It's definitely much more enthusiastic when you start things off with a bang!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

haha welcome...

lets hope you dont break anything else hehehe...

for launching a scoob, rev the engine to 4-5k rpm and tap the throttle as fast as you can to keep it in that range... that will keep the turbo spooled which is what you want. then drop the clutch. i wouldnt recommend launching it if you dont have to, something is bound to break, also because first gear isnt the strongest. but if you do, that is the safest way.

DO NOT REV TO 7 AND THEN DUMP THE CLUTCH.... you will smell clutch forever and something will deffinitely break eventually!

i launched my modded scoob against an sti by the first method and beat him off the launch and in the quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXgasm
    haha welcome...

lets hope you dont break anything else hehehe...

for launching a scoob, rev the engine to 4-5k rpm and tap the throttle as fast as you can to keep it in that range... that will keep the turbo spooled which is what you want. then drop the clutch. i wouldnt recommend launching it if you dont have to, something is bound to break, also because first gear isnt the strongest. but if you do, that is the safest way.

DO NOT REV TO 7 AND THEN DUMP THE CLUTCH.... you will smell clutch forever and something will deffinitely break eventually!

i launched my modded scoob against an sti by the first method and beat him off the launch and in the quarter.
    wow you got ripped off BAD...

you could have done a complete jdm 6spd drivetrain swap for less than $5300.

NEVER take it to the stealership!!!!!

sorry to hear that bro.

that sucks all around....but hey if u got the money to get it fixed just get it fixed no regrets sounds like ur already having fun....oh and remember with as much fun as it is to go in a straight line with a rex its even more fun to drive in windy lines take it autocrossing or on a mountain road trip thats where she will shine the best....and ur percentage of burning up your clutch will decrease dramaticaly haha

congrats on ur car

Quote Originally Posted by silverstreakin
    i stripped first gear out of the tranny and they said it was my fault. so im having to pay for the repairs of everything

how? you have me scared!

thanks for the welcomes guys. im sure i could have done a swap for a 6 speed, but truthfully, id rather not. not unless it was a little more mated to my engine. one from a sti would be nice, but it does have alot higher redline...and that could force me to shift more than i want. plus i didnt buy the car to mod it to death. ive been down that road...and id just rather drive a fast car.

yes, it is more fun around the corners, but im kinda limited on that...and im still learning the car. so fun though. i love the car

hey guys. i got a 06 wrx sprot wagon about 2 months ago. i traded in a heavily modded civic on it. i absolutely love this car it is sooo fast. im still having trouble launching an awd car (first one) lol and lets just say, i just paid 5300 for a new tranny, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and throwout bearing. the guy i got my car from did the same to his sti, so i know im not alone on this one. anyway, hi, how are you guys?
    One question for you which no one asked....but what did you do to strip first gear out of the trans?

Are you stock? Did you use NO2 out of the hole? Approximately how many launches did you do before this happened?

-Chike

ive probably done about 20 hard launches. the only mod i have done to my car is the spt exhaust. all i can figure, is the last launch i did, finished it off. right now, i dont care. i miss my car and i want it back lol

ive probably done about 20 hard launches. the only mod i have done to my car is the spt exhaust. all i can figure, is the last launch i did, finished it off. right now, i dont care. i miss my car and i want it back lol
    How were you launching though? At redline...6,000rpms...5,000rpms??? Also, were you lightly slipping the clutch, or were you just dumping it?

In the future, if you want to pratice launching, pump up your tire pressure to around 40psi front & rear and wait for a rainy day when the ground is nice and slick. This way, if you do something totally wrong, you won't screw up the trans but just get a bunch of wheelspin.

I still don't understand how you stripped 1st gear completely? Was the gear not completely engaged and you tried to launch? Once it's fully engaged in gear, the factory clutch (weakest point) should be the first thing that goes, not the trans...

-Chike

i was normally around 5 and would lightly slip the clutch. i found dumpin it didnt produce good results after about the first time.

im not sure what all was wrong. when i went from reverse to first, it wouldnt stay in first at all, and when i finally *thought* it was in first gear, i let go the clutch from 6 grand and that was all she wrote.

they actually showed me the tranny and clutch, it was total carnage. ive never seen a gear look like that. ive seen worse clutches, but ive never seen the input shaft completely rounded off. and if that gear gave, why in the hell the output gear was missing almost all the teeth on it. i would say i counted about 9 teeth on the output gear that wasnt broken off. all i know is i miss my car, and i want it back. next week is a long time away!

i was normally around 5 and would lightly slip the clutch. i found dumpin it didnt produce good results after about the first time.

im not sure what all was wrong. when i went from reverse to first, it wouldnt stay in first at all, and when i finally *thought* it was in first gear, i let go the clutch from 6 grand and that was all she wrote.

they actually showed me the tranny and clutch, it was total carnage. ive never seen a gear look like that. ive seen worse clutches, but ive never seen the input shaft completely rounded off. and if that gear gave, why in the hell the output gear was missing almost all the teeth on it. i would say i counted about 9 teeth on the output gear that wasnt broken off. all i know is i miss my car, and i want it back. next week is a long time away!
    Yeah, launching at 5,000rpms with moderate to light clutch slip shouldn't hurt the trans...but you'll just go through clutches more often.

The problem happened when you *thought* you were in first and did a 6K launch. That definitely would have shredded both 1st gear synchros and cause the carnage...

When you get your car back next week, definitely wait until there's a rainy day before you do any more practice launches. Also, since this is your first awd performance car, read up on launching one at other sites:

www.iwsti.com
    www.nasioc.com
    www.i-club.com

Even, on non-subaru sites such as www.3si.org/forum and www.evolutionm.net (for the 3000GT VR-4 and Mitsu Evo) you can pick up great tips!

-Chike

P.S. Any pics of the carnage in your trans?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.