Question about STI's Performance

This is a discussion on Question about STI's Performance within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, I have a question about the performance of the STI. Well it is not really a performance issue, ...

Question about STI's Performance

Hi all,

I have a question about the performance of the STI. Well it is not really a performance issue, more of a ...

Well, let me just tell you guys my problem and hopefully someone might be able to shed some light to the matter. I went racing the other day and everything was going fine. The car was running smoothly with no problems at all. When I got the car to go over 120-130mph, the car started to make this funny sound. Now the car wasn't acting weird or anything, it just made this funny noise. It sounded like a whining noise mixed with radio feedback sort of noise. Now, my radio was off so I know it wasn't coming from the radio. I have never actually driven this fast before in my car, so I wouldn't know if it would have made this sound in the past. Well, I did get it up to the 110mph in the past, but that noise wasn't there.

Now, this is another factor to the matter. Correct me if I am wrong, but I was thinking that maybe the cold weather might have something to do with it. I am just not too sure anymore.

Any suggestions...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do a search on here and you will find that many people experience the same thing tha you did...

search it, this happens to everyone who goes over 100 in the wrx, nobody's really figured out what it is and how to get rid of it

All that's happening is that the air is pushing through some small crevice in the vehicle that is enlarged or created at those speeds due to air pressure. This creates the whistling sound you hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi
    I'd love to have a tree house for adults in my backyard.

I Support ClubWRX
    As mentioned above, this is normal, although a bit eiry or scarey, depending on how loud when you first hear it.

FYI..you might want to post ?? like this is the STi Performance forum, or better yet, do you searches on STi related matters there.

Scott
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

When I get up to ~130 or 140 I get a whining noise to. One of my friends was in the car and told me that it was the tires.. Not sure if this is right but I can believe it.
    2004 Subaru WRX STi, Debadged
    FPgreen

Wind noise like that is very common on our cars
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

there is alot of wind noise with our cars....our mirrors do make a whistle noise when at high speeds
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?