Considering a WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Considering a WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I have always liked WRX and STi's and now it has come time for me to finally get one. ...

Considering a WRX

Hi, I have always liked WRX and STi's and now it has come time for me to finally get one. I have heard a lot of good things about these cars and some bad things. I currently drive an auto 93 Probe GT with a JDM KLZE engine swap, but I always have problems with the tranny. I want my WRX to be a 5-speed (stick) but I have been hearing that the trannies on these cars are weak too (you cant do burnouts on them?). If I get an WRX it would be an '04 or '05, and I would do some modding to it. That TBE, BOV, and hopefully that would get me to mid 13.5's in the 1/4 mile. Would those mods get me into the the mid 13's and how are the insurance rates on the WRX"s. I really love these cars, but i need a reliable car that can handle minor modifications. Anyways I wanted to hear from current WRX drivers opinions, so any input of any kind would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The WRX 5 speed isn't the strongest tranny out there but you should have a problem as long as you don't abuse your car. 05' and 06' have the strongest tranny with RA width gears. Pre 03' trannies are the weakest if I'm not mistaken. With a TBE, Upipe and a tune you should be able to run 13.5 or a little less. Don't get a BOV its actually bad for WRX's.

Honestly though if your looking for a drag car I would recomend something else like maybe a Cobra.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

You won't be doing burn-outs in an AWD car. That's kinda the point of AWD, to not slip your tires. If you run some serious TQ (modded) and put some high PSI in your tires you can get some slip.

Anyway, please don't get a BOV, it does nothing for the car with minor mods. Run a TBE and an AP stage 2 map with 93 octane. Put some decent tires on and you'll be set. Someone else will have to come in and show times, but I'm pretty sure you can hit mid-13s with stage 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi
    I'd love to have a tree house for adults in my backyard.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you want to do burn out and drags then I'd get a used cobra, ws6 T/a (or any ls1 powered anything) or an SRT4.

The wrx will not last if you want to do burnouts and constand drag racing. The tranny is as weak as the earlier models, but it's not a steel tank either.

As for your mods list, they are fine but ditch the bov as stated above. I'd also recommend driving the car before making a mod list. I can honestly say that my mod list went from Stage 2 to suspension setup within the first week of owning. For the driving I do it has plenty of power (for now.....atleast it has enough power now where I am to the point of not wanting to ruin the warranty) i'd just like it to handle a bit more. Have fun.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    if you do get a wrx...i recommend suspension setup first. The car is so much more fun to drive when some of the understeer is dialed out and you have tires that actually can perform (unlike the sh!t re92s).

TBE and AP is probably the way i will be going soon.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

Awd != 2wd

Another consideration in regards to burning out - you can certainly do it, but with an AWD car you put considerably more stress on your drivetrain than you would with a 2WD car that will spin out faster. The reason behind this is that when you burn out in a 2WD car that energy produced by the engine is released mostly in heat. In an AWD car that energy is dissapated in the drivetrain rather than burning the tires so by the time you actually break loose you've already been burning a lot of energy on the drivetrain. I'm sure someone can explain this better than me...

Considering a WRX

Sorry guys I asked about the burn outs just to reference to how weak the trannies are. I really dont do burn outs, tires are to expensive for that. But I do drive a little aggesive some times. Like when I got some curves or straight aways on the road I shift pretty hard. Do I have to worry about how hard I shift gears or is primarily hard launcehs that bother the car. Sorry if the questions sound stupid I just wanted to ask before I buy one, even though regardless of the answers I'll probably still buy one. Thanks for all of your replies so far, and keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by QHB64
    If I get an WRX it would be an '04 or '05, and I would do some modding to it. That TBE, BOV, and hopefully that would get me to mid 13.5's in the 1/4 mile. Would those mods get me into the the mid 13's and how are the insurance rates on the WRX"s. I really love these cars, but i need a reliable car that can handle minor modifications.
    A TBE and an engine management will get you high to mid 13's and not have much impact on reliability. Cobb accessport is very flexible, because not only it has off the shelf maps, but you can also get it Protuned for better gains and easy switching between maps from custom tune to stock. BOV is not something you should even look at. Read around to find out about it more.

In terms of transmission, any tranny with abuse will cause it to go out. Only the difference is stronger ones will last longer with abuse, but it's still depending on your care. I've seen my friend's STi tranny (which is supposedly strong compare to WRX) go out quickly with numerous amount of launching @ 5.5 - 6k.

Insurance rates will be dependant on your driving record and age. I have clean record and still paying high rate at age of 24. I can't wait to be 25+ for better rates.

My suggestion to you, if you have the money and can afford, go for the STI. It will get into 12's with TBE and an engine management, stronger transmission, and much better car out the box. You may also be able to haggle and get a better deal now that the 06 models are available for purchase. Good luck!
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 11-28-2005 at 12:22 AM.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

you could certainly drive it hard, god knows i did. most of the tranny problems come from ****ty launches (ppl who dont know how to launch properly)

regarding insurance

I just turned 25 for the 4th year in a row, Live in Brooklyn NYC, and Im paying $1363 every 6 months with a perfectly clean record. DAMN... why did I remind myself?

I am also trying to get a WRX. Last week I drove a 2004 WRX STI (Silver, dropped with bronze five-spokes) and scared the hell out of myself. Cars should not be that fast! Haha, I am still shaking, I have never had that much fun. I went for a ride in a 832hp Supra and the Subaru was way more fun.

I have an 05 and my tranny is still strong. We even opened it up and there were no signs of strippings. I have done a lot of launches on the streets probably more than 150+ times. I launch at around 5-7k all the time. THey break because people don't know how to launch. As long as my tires are spinning at the line then I am putting the abuse on my tires but don't worry! they only spin for about 1 second
    Last edited by scotts05; 12-06-2005 at 09:09 PM.
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.