First drive question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on First drive question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just drove a WRX for the first time, 2005 with about 7K miles. Very nice car. Love the AWD. Under ...

First drive question

Just drove a WRX for the first time, 2005 with about 7K miles. Very nice car. Love the AWD.

Under heavy throttle in 2nd gear it starts rushing at about 3000 but seems to go much flatter around 4000 or 4500. I asked the salesman and he said it (the ECU I assume) learns the driver's patterns and probably had been driven by someone who shifted at 4K. He said it would act different if I drove it a couple of thousand miles.

Does that make sense to the experts here?

Thanks

Randy
    06 WRX sedan
    Skid plates + mud flaps
    Rota Torque Steel Gray + Nokian WR

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by airprakken
    d probably had been driven by someone who shifted at 4K. He said it would act different if I drove it a couple of thousand miles.
    you don't need to wait at all. you can reset the ECU yourself and see if it's still acting like that. never done it, but here's how, according to a knowledgable member ...disconnect the battery, press the brakes all the way down about 5 times, then wait 10 minutes and reconnect
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

I Support ClubWRX
    It should pretty much fall flat on its face at about 5500-6000 rpm due to the turbo running out of breath. If it is losing power at 4000-4500, something isn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    It should pretty much fall flat on its face at about 5500-6000 rpm due to the turbo running out of breath. If it is losing power at 4000-4500, something isn't right.
    It didn't fall flat. It just stopped building and perhaps reduced acceleration a little. Not as pronounced as the fall-off above 5500.

The only Turbo 5sp I have driven before is a Volvo S70 T5 and once it gets into the turbo it keeps increasing the acceleration until near the top end. Not sure what to expect from a WRX and I had only about 15 minutes total to try it out.

Thanks
    06 WRX sedan
    Skid plates + mud flaps
    Rota Torque Steel Gray + Nokian WR

Just tell the salesman there is something wrong with it so he gives you a better price.

it seems like you just enjoyed the part where it built up boost and felt torquey. Rest should be just pull, except with stock wrx, the pull isnt so hard.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

I recall there being something at around 4500 that happens naturally in the WRX. I wouldn't say it falls flat but levels and then picks up again. Should be ok.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

ive driven my boys rex before it was pretty kickass

Yea you will pretty much fall in love with a WRX after you drive on....which is pretty much why the 26,000 people in this club own them
    1999 BMW 328i - R.I.P.
    2004 JBP WRX - R.I.P.
    2007 SWP STi
    And Loving Every Minute Of It.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nSj77h
    Yea you will pretty much fall in love with a WRX after you drive on....which is pretty much why the 26,000 people in this club own them
    or have owned 6 or so of them
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.