white smoke while sitting in traffic
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on white smoke while sitting in traffic within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; it is a 2005 wrx i bought it about 2 months ago with 18,000 miles. it was stock when i ...

white smoke while sitting in traffic

it is a 2005 wrx i bought it about 2 months ago with 18,000 miles. it was stock when i bought it. so far i have put on a uppipe and a downpipe and thats it. when i put the erz downpipe on i used the gaskets that they give you only for the stock cat-back connection if this has any factor to my problem. now to my problem

get some white smoke on start up like condensation. then goes away but after driving like an hour on the freeway or driving for 30 minutes in traffic i come to a stop in traffic and if i sit for acouple of minutes the car starts to smoke bad out the exhaust, but then i can start driving and the smoke goes away. this dosent happen everytime i drive it either just somtimes, but it always seems to do it while my car is ideling after i have been driving it for awhile. please any help would be greatly appreciated

nate

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well you're burning oil, but not sure from where.
    sounds like it might be the turbo going bad. did you mess with any hoses with the up/dowpipe install?
    or it might be one of the pistons or more then one.
    if i were you i would put it back to stock and bring it to a dealer and have them checkout the turbo and the block, they should replace what ever is wrong with it if its stock
    04 STi Blue
    2005 - 279WHP 306WTQ 13.1@105
    2006 - FPGreen
    LISC# 17 LongIslandSubaruClub.com

if it was the block wouldnt it do it all the time? how can i check the turbo to see if it is going bad? it dosent smoke all the time just somtimes. if i bought it from a subaru dealer wouldnt they have checked the block before they sold the car? i dont drive the car hard at all it is a comuter car. also the car has burned maybe a quart of oil since i changed the oil and filter and that was about 2,000 miles ago
    Last edited by sethtroy; 11-12-2005 at 10:22 AM.

i thought white smoke was water/coolant and blue smoke was oil. i may be wrong so don't quote me but i would check your coolant levels and see if you are maybe leaking coolant into the engine. also check your oil levels and see if you are burning oil.

White smoke means they elected a new Pope, right?

Seriously, if it were burning oil it would be blue smoke. Black means rich. White means some form of water, which is one of the things the reaction in the cat produces, if I remember my science right.
    "I drove like my mother in the first stage" Gigi Galli, WRC driver, Mitsubishi.

mine did it every now and then..it was cuz i went catless. my WRX had 2500 miles on it when i got rid of it. it never did it when it was stock, only catless. might just be excess unburned fuel slipping by or something. dont quote me
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

I only have the uppipe cat and I get the white smoke too. I usually have low oil when it happends. I'm guessing that's the cause, but if it's unburnt fluids, I wonder why it happends in the middle of the day only?

it dosent after i come to a stop and the car is idleing for awhile like stuck in traffic. it never did it when it was stock. only since i have put the downpipe and the uppipe. which was about 2 months ago. i still get 27mpg and the car runs fine idle is good. the onlything is i dont feel the turbo kick in very good. but it may just be me because i owned a 400 whp twin turbo rx7 before my wrx. i am really new to a boxer style motor so dont know where to start with it. it is nothing like my rotary was. if i got a boost gauge would that tell me if the turbo is working right or not by hitting targeted boost? also how else can i tell if the turbo has been loosing oil through a seal? thanks again

nate

it is very common for our cars to have white smoke if the car is left to idle ,or sit to long at idle. oil is blue,and coolant is white ,but has a sweet smell to it. your car is fine do not worry. your turbo is not going to feel the same as a 400whp rx7.enjoy your car

Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Elliott
    White smoke means they elected a new Pope, right?
    Oh it's early, but that's the best thing I heard all day.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

so is it normal to burn alittle oil? like maybe half a quart in 2,000 miles? the smoke is also like a blackish color and white. almost like it is running rich. would a full tbe help any? i just have the downpipe and uppipe. or should i get the cobb ap and would that help the problem at all. thanks again

nate

I Support ClubWRX
    Intermittent white smoke is nothing new, nor is dark smoke when you get on it. I am assuming we aren't talking clouds here...just enought to be noticeable? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you truly wish to take advantage of your UP/DP upgrade, get the Cobb AP and go immediately to stage 2. Night and day difference. Will also smooth out the idle, even out the boost curve (no more judders while accelerating) and improve your gas mileage.

Same for other EMS of course, but much simpler and easier with Cobb.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

yeah it is really weird the smoke only happens after the car has been ideling in one spot for awhile. i dont know what a lot of smoke is considered. i can see it from my rear window after i take off from a stop. also when i am sitting waiting for a light i can look in the side mirrors and see the smoke and then the wind will blow it to the front of the car. anymore help would be greatly appreciated.

nate

is it ok to burn a court of oil in 2000 miles

I Support ClubWRX
    Thats a little heavy. Were you tracking it or racing of some sort? I went through a quart once in about a thousand miles, but I also had 2 track session during that time frame.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.