Need your experienced honest opinion...

This is a discussion on Need your experienced honest opinion... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have a 350Z and due tot he fact that I loved near syracuse I need a AWD. I have ...

Need your experienced honest opinion...

I have a 350Z and due tot he fact that I loved near syracuse I need a AWD. I have decided upon getting a STI. My question to you experienced SUBY owners is how big of a difference is WRX and STI as far as performance, comfort, reliability, value..... I have 6 dealerships looking for a 04 STI and they are hard to come by in white, thinking about picking up a WRX if all fails. Please share your thoughts, thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!

Performance wise there is no contest - the STi is the clear winner.

Comfort? With the STi's suspension the WRX has a more comfortable ride.

Reliability? They are both pretty much the same. The STi does have a meatier transmission.

Value? You can spend twice (or more) what an STi does and not be assured of more performance. The STi is a bargain in that respect.

It is all what you can afford.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Not an expert here but things I do know are 1. if you're after AWD the STI's stock tires are crap in the snow. WRX comes standard with decent M&S tires. 2. 300 HP STI and a 2006 WRX is 230 HP 235 torque. 3,. $34,000ish for a new STI, 26k loaded new WRX. Spend 2-3K on mods and I think WRX is as fast or faster than STI. I myself just bought a 2006 WRX TR it is the base model but even still is fairly loaded for a 23k car. But I wish I spent the extra grand for the regular sedan. I'd personally stay away from a used car who knows how it was treated.

STi is definatly the hands down winner (IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT)

this is KEY. there are SO many STis for sale... it seems a lot more then WRXs cause people just fail to afford them. make sure to research insurance rates before you go ballstic modding your car. insurance is INSAIN on those STIs and EVOs...

but the new WRX is definatly a winner too.. the 2.5L is basically a de-tuned STi engine, it shouldnt be too hard to unlock that extra power. (full exhaust + bigger turbo and you should be there), upgraded brakes and suspension......STi is always gonna be better though... but you have to HONESTLY ask yourself.. are you gonna go auto-x it everyweekend? are you gonna take hairpin turns at 60-80mph all the time then that extra performance probably wont do you much good.

the WRX has one major problem. it will ALWAYS be in the shadow of the STi. People never fail to ask "omg is that an STi?" and you have to be like no its a wrx.. if you can live with not having the BEST there is avaliable to you, then you'll be fine. but sometimes it gets to you... like man... I really wish I had an STi..

but dont get me wrong. I love my WRX for all that it is, and i would never sell it... not to get a new WRX, not to get a new STi.. not for a lotus elise..nothing!! its all love baby. there is just something special about the WRX, it has a soul or something... something that makes you just not wanna let it go. Im sure a lot of owners feel the same way about their WRX / STi as well.

-Alex
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerblue
    Spend 2-3K on mods and I think WRX is as fast or faster than STI.
    I'm so sick of people saying this. It may hang with an STi in a straight line, but you're still missing the good stuff. inverted struts, better drivetrain (power distribution 35f/65r), better center diff with DCCD, incredible transmission, better gauges, cooler looking interior, much better wheels, killer summer tires, wicked brakes (these things will stop so hard your passenger will nearly vomit), better front suspension arms, bigger intercooler, blah blah... As for the tires, they are deadly in the snow. get some good snow tires, and you've got one of the best snow cars on the road.

I have a modded STi, my girlfriend droves a stock manual WRX wagon.
    i agree with the first response.

raw gut wrenching performance: STi by FAR.
    daily driver/road trip comfort: WRX. It has a folding rear seat. you'd have to swap rear seats with a WRX owner to get it in an STi. (weight savings).
    Reliability: STi by a margin because of the beefier drivetrain/transmission.
    Value: depends what you want. if you want a fun daily driver car, WRX. if you want something that will embarass 99% of the cars on the road and is easily tolerable to drive daily, go STi. I did and haven't looked back ONCE.
    Dave
    01 RS

STi=teh win...simple
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Quote Originally Posted by amukaoen
    there is just something special about the WRX, it has a soul or something... something that makes you just not wanna let it go. Im sure a lot of owners feel the same way about their WRX / STi as well.
    +1 i know whatcha mean. I have never loved a car so much...
    Dave
    01 RS

Thank you so much everybody, All of your info was so helpful in finally deciding on what model should get. Seems like it's going to be a "04" STI. I just have to go about finding one in my area. Anyone got any suggestions on where I might be able to get the best deal on a used STI with financing in central NY area? Thanks again.