new member with some questions.

This is a discussion on new member with some questions. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I am looking into gettin a 01-03 WRX in the next few weeks. I have always had GM cars ...

new member with some questions.

Hi, I am looking into gettin a 01-03 WRX in the next few weeks. I have always had GM cars so im not too familiar with the WRX all that much. What are known problems to look for? Any recalls that should have been done? What kinda gas mileage should i expect to get? How reliable are they for a daily driver? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

subaru makes a reliable motor that should last you quite a while, especialy if you are not going to do any mods. you should be able to expect around 20 mpg if you are a reasonable driver. just look for the rex that's been babied the most and your on your way!best of luck with your search!
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

I've got an 02 rex wagon that I just rolled over 70K miles. The vast majority of that is long road trips (and recreational drives through the canyons in Colorado), but I'd say in an average work week I'm still putting 30 or so "daily driver" miles on it 6-7 days a week. I am rarely, rarely, rarely driving in stop-and-go traffic.

I'm pretty anal about servicing it, especially changing oil and rotating tires, for which I run different Z rates in the summers and Hakkas in the winters. My mods are very minimal, at least in the modder sense. Over the years I've basically upgraded it to match what you get with an STI, or at least as close as you can get with a wagon.

The only time I won't push the performance is when I'm strictly driving around town or am carrying people in the back seat (cleaning up vomit is no fun). Otherwise, I'm constantly diving into corners and boosting. Because I live in the foothills of Colorado I am always blasting up hills, very often above altitudes 7-8,000 feet. Hey, no reason to drive my baby if you're not going to take advantage of it.

Despite the mileage and my hard driving, it still performs unbelievably well, still puts a smile on my face pretty much every time I drive it.

Gas mileage for me is typically in the low 20s. I think that's pretty incredible given how I drive. I've never experimented with running an entire tank without really going into turbo, as again, there's no reason to own this car if you're not going to drive it right.

Just finished an 1,800 mile, 11-day road trip. Day 1 was 750 miles by itself, and I except for a pair of construction zones in southern Utah I never dipped below 85, often driving in the 90s, wound up getting pulled over for outside of Green River doing 103 in a 75... so much for thining the fuzz wouldn't be out at 6AM. Anyhow, even on that day I'd say the worst average gas mileage I had on a single tank would be around 18-19 mpg.

I've had no running problems with the car whatsoever, and I did not bother with the extended warranty/service/whatever plans. Around 18-20K my brakes were acting up a tiny bit, took it into the dealer and they replaced the rotors for free -- both parts and labor. Once again, given how hard I drive it, I'm exceedingly pleased with its service record.

Aside from undercarriage rust (if you live in New England or near the ocean), I think all you need to do is look for the lowest mileage rex you can find whose owner has really babied it in terms of service history.

Buy and enjoy!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to teh site!!

All of your questions (and then some) can be answered here. Enjoy!
    Subaru Research Information
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums