Joined the family today
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Joined the family today within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; got me a used 03 WRX with 36000 miles on it today. Standard blue and was in great shape so ...

Joined the family today

got me a used 03 WRX with 36000 miles on it today. Standard blue and was in great shape so I signed up.

I do have a question. Does anyone have a stock BOV they want to get rid of? Whoever had the car before me installed one and i don't need it at this point since the car is stock (plus imho it's somewhat annoying).

Anyways I got some reading to do and decide where I want to start after I get the grin off my face. I'll get some pics later

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

some pics

Question
    In the last 3 pics (the last two with red arrows) what is the blue anodized thing? some kind of pressure regulator as it is connected to the turbos wastegate valve (sorry if i'm not using proper terms)
    also what is the radiator hose supposed to go to in the 4th and 6th pics or is is supposed to be capped like that?

help a noob out!

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    The first red arrow under the BOV (blow off valve) is the recirculating tube that used to be connected to the factory BOV. It should be capped off so no foreign debris gets in there. It looks like it isn't. I'm not sure what that is attached to it. The second pic with the arrow looks to me like a MBC (manual boost controller). Kind of obvious what that does. I would not mess with it till you know what it's set at. If you don't have a boost gauge, that's one of the first things i'd get IMO. Good luck with your new purchase and welcome to the club!
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Thanks a bunch!
    I kinda though it was a MBC. It is set to stock levels. getting around .1MPa boost in 3rd.
    I thought the hose is capped (the white plastic piece has a solid bottom) but i'm gonna double check now.

Nice WRX! Love the stock body kit.
    -Bruce

welcome! have fun learning more about your wrx...

The emblems look at little high
    The unexamined life is not worth living for man.

-Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by imjames123
    The emblems look at little high
    The WRX looks a little high, but I'm not sure. The "SUBARU" is high. Looks like it was debadged and then put back, but about 2 inches too high. Doesn't really matter, though.

Congrats!

I thought that too about the subaru emblems. But I just assumed it was different in 03 as I had been looking at 05/06 models. First thing I did though was take off the crappy used car dealer sticker they put on there. I don't understand why they even put those on but whatever.
    I still can't get over how it feels through the turns. my camaro was pretty tight and when i put the spool in it was more controlable but this wrx is amazing. I just gotta re-learn how to pedal through the turns so I can stop being herky jerky and studdering.

The coolant lines that are blocked are likely to the throttle body.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater
    I do have a question. Does anyone have a stock BOV they want to get rid of? Whoever had the car before me installed one and i don't need it at this point since the car is stock (plus imho it's somewhat annoying).
    By the way, post in the personal for sale, and ask if anyone wants to trade. You can probably even make a few bucks off of it. (I'm not sure what the going rate is, though. I'd do a few searches first.)

Try the same on Nasioc or any other forum if you don't get responses here.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater
    CLUBWRX MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!!121!!!!!! You my friend have been sig'ed.

Welcome!!
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by WRC_Obsessed
    CLUBWRX MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!!121!!!!!! You my friend have been sig'ed.

Welcome!!
    heh. that's funny
    but yeah i have searched and decided the herky jerky part of my turns is caused by the BOV. going rich and normal to rich during the turns is causing the stumbling/studdering. I want the stocker!

Can I ask how much you paid for the WRX? I looking for a used one as well, same year and you seem to got a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowz
    Can I ask how much you paid for the WRX? I looking for a used one as well, same year and you seem to got a good one.
    dealer had it priced at $20K in the lot and luckly I checked the internet before and it was 18K. offered 16K and got the 17K i was hoping for. after adding a 3 year warranty, theft guard (etched numbers in your windows) and a dent zone repair plan (will take out small dings for free) it was back at 20K which was ok with me as a trans is probably 3K with labor plus I get cheaper insurance with theft guard and i get door dings taken out for free.
    Financing came at 380 something a month at 72 months with 9.69% APR. I wasn't worried much about the apr and payments as much as i wanted some flexability. I will be able to make double and triple payments as well as put work bonuses at it and get it paid off in 2 years or so. I just wanted an easy payment to fall back on if something major came up. 1st new to me car (1st time buyer as well) i don't want it repoed if i get in trouble with some medical bills if something were to happen to me or whatever. I just like to plan for the worst.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.