Used the search, still have stock boost gauge question

This is a discussion on Used the search, still have stock boost gauge question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Recently when i start the car, the stock boost gauge at Idle is at -.07mpa and jumps from -.08 to ...

Used the search, still have stock boost gauge question

Recently when i start the car, the stock boost gauge at Idle is at -.07mpa and jumps from -.08 to -.06mpa in that range. Now i know the reading is suppose to be negative but I remember the boost gauge reading very close to -.1mpa. Also when my car is turned off the gauge would be at 0 mpa which i know is normal but now its below 0 mpa not by a lot but def. under 0. Is this normal?

BTW - Its a 2002 WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have an 02 with a stock boost gauge. It always is on zero when I turn off my car. But your readings at idle sound normal. When you are flooring it in 2nd or 3rd it should go to .09.

Quote Originally Posted by mckayskater
    Also when my car is turned off the gauge would be at 0 mpa which i know is normal but now its below 0 mpa not by a lot but def. under 0. Is this normal?
    Yes, mine does the same thing. I've been told that it is because the higher above sea level you are the farther into the negtive it will go. Supposably if your at sea level then it should be at zero. I have never tried this but i have heard it is true.

I don't know if that means we are really boosting a little bit more than what the gauge is reading or not but, if i had to guess i would say that we are.

thanks for the input, I'm just making sure everything is running right at idle. But when the car is off it used to be exactly at the 0 and just recently its been a bit under 0.

I'm not too sure about that. I'm don't know if the gauge could be wrong ? I'm not too fond of the lamco gauge anyway so i plan on getting somthing different with a PSI measure rather than a (mpa) mega pascals measure.

That needle should always go to zero. Just like the speedo or tach. And I double checked and my car idles at more like .06.

Keep in mind that mods will affect the level you run at vacuum too, I've noticed.

Should always be 0 when it is off though I think.

Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow
    Should always be 0 when it is off though I think.
    absolutely.
    Dave
    01 RS

thanks again for the help, at start up and at idle, the needle goes from -.07 to -.06mpa but will keep moving between those two numbers and never stays at a fixed number at idle. It just seems like its having trouble at idle maybe im just being paranoid. I agree the needle should be at 0 when off, but its just slightly under the 0 maybe i'll take a picture to show you guys what i mean, but before the needle would be right at the 0 mark and just recently its now under the 0 mark but its not significantly under the 0 mark. I'll try to post a pic later.

Here are some pictures. Like i said its not significantly under 0 but not on 0 like it used to be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 024.jpg   Picture 025.jpg