New 06 WREX....couple of Q's about funky noises!!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on New 06 WREX....couple of Q's about funky noises!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Whats up everyone! First let me say that I am a total Noob when it comes to Subie's, and technical ...

New 06 WREX....couple of Q's about funky noises!!!

Whats up everyone!

First let me say that I am a total Noob when it comes to Subie's, and technical stuff for that matter, but I love my new WRX! I am diving into this forum to gain as much knowledge as I can. I apologize if my questions are silly, but I want to treat my new baby right!

I only have 500 miles on my new WRX TR, but I'm getting worried about the noises coming from under the hood....I've searched high and low, but I cannot be sure if what I'm hearing is the same as the common boxer tick.

Noise #1 - Basically, since this afternoon, my engine has gotten considerably LOUDER. There has always been a FAINT ticking noise, but driving home tonight it has increased about 2x more. It seems to be the loudest between 2k and 4k RPM. And it's sporadic! I'm 100% positive that it wasn't making these noises yesterday! It sounds like an old VW beetle! --I've hit 5-6k RPM a few times, and I'm worried that I overrevved the motor so early....I definitely don't want to tear it up on accident!

Noise #2- There is also a "whine" coming from the engine area on deceleration, is that normal?

Noise #3- Driving home today I hit 75-80 on the freeway and I heard a sudden "HOOOOONNNNKKKKK.......HOOOOOOONNNNK" noise sporatically making a verbal appearance...never heard it before today.

Noise #4- When I turn the car off, everything is creaking and ticking...sounds like the exhaust, but it's quite loud! The engine bay seems really hot as well!!! The Temp guage is always fine though....

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!!! Glad to be here!!!

Oh, and I do have a thread with pics somewhere in here too, before someone asks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

[QUOTE=Sponge]
    Noise #2- There is also a "whine" coming from the engine area on deceleration, is that normal? QUOTE]
    this is the only one i think i can help u on....completely normal...the car will whine when u decelerate with the gear engaged, it should stop if u pop it in neurtal. The only reason i can think of as to why the car is sometimes louder is that the engine is cold...the revs will remain considerably higher until u are at optimum temps. best of luck! enjoy ur new scooby!
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge

Noise #4- When I turn the car off, everything is creaking and ticking...sounds like the exhaust, but it's quite loud! The engine bay seems really hot as well!!! The Temp guage is always fine though....
    that is the metal coolong down im pretty sure

[QUOTE=TOOFAST88]
    Noise #2- There is also a "whine" coming from the engine area on deceleration, is that normal? QUOTE]
    this is the only one i think i can help u on....completely normal...the car will whine when u decelerate with the gear engaged, it should stop if u pop it in neurtal. The only reason i can think of as to why the car is sometimes louder is that the engine is cold...the revs will remain considerably higher until u are at optimum temps. best of luck! enjoy ur new scooby!
    I figured it was...thanks for the warm fuzzy

It was a nice day in PHX for Subie's! Welcome man, be sure to wave!

Noise #1 - Basically, since this afternoon, my engine has gotten considerably LOUDER. There has always been a FAINT ticking noise, but driving home tonight it has increased about 2x more. It seems to be the loudest between 2k and 4k RPM. And it's sporadic! I'm 100% positive that it wasn't making these noises yesterday! It sounds like an old VW beetle! --I've hit 5-6k RPM a few times, and I'm worried that I overrevved the motor so early....I definitely don't want to tear it up on accident!
    I don't think you've damaged the engine by revving to 5-6k during the break in period. In fact, many people in this forum will say rev it to redline a few times during this period to seat the valves and get things properly worn in. I'm not sure about the ticking. Are you sure that you've got 91 octane or higher gas in it (detonation)?

Noise #2- There is also a "whine" coming from the engine area on deceleration, is that normal?
    That's normal for a Subaru. It's the drivetrain. No worries there.

Noise #3- Driving home today I hit 75-80 on the freeway and I heard a sudden "HOOOOONNNNKKKKK.......HOOOOOOONNNNK" noise sporatically making a verbal appearance...never heard it before today.
    Are you sure you're not honking the horn ?

Normal as well. It's the engine cooling. You'll hear ticking which is metal contracting and maybe some hisses which is condesation in the exhaust. No worries there.

#1 Its fine and normal

#2 gear whine. The transmission naturally whines when you decelerate.

#3 I have no clue

#4 its normal the metal is just contracting as it cools and it makes clinking noises.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by dypeterc
    Are you sure you're not honking the horn ?
    Dude, I don't know how to explain it properly....it's not all that loud, but it is noticable. It kind of startled me when I heard it the first time...I was just cruising down I-10 on my way home from work. It seemed to stop when I got down to about 60-65mph.

Oh, and I think it had 91 in it...still the gas that the dealership had in it. I put 15 bucks worth of 91 in it this afternoon...didn't notice any difference yet. But, I don't really know what detonation feels or sounds like...

Quote Originally Posted by Fieldy72233
    It was a nice day in PHX for Subie's! Welcome man, be sure to wave!
    Sure thing!!

Dude, I don't know how to explain it properly....it's not all that loud, but it is noticable. It kind of startled me when I heard it the first time...I was just cruising down I-10 on my way home from work. It seemed to stop when I got down to about 60-65mph.

Oh, and I think it had 91 in it...still the gas that the dealership had in it. I put 15 bucks worth of 91 in it this afternoon...didn't notice any difference yet. But, I don't really know what detonation feels or sounds like...
    I'd run through a full tank and then add the highest octane you can find (94 in my neck of the woods). I know some people will say that it's not good to run a tank empty because of silt like stuff entering the fuel sys but it'd be good to get a true 91 or higher gas in the tank. Dealers almost never put the correct fuel in them.

Also, does the sound that your hearing sound like a whistle or whoosh and come from the passenger side? It could be the sound that your turbo or diverter (?) is making.

Quote Originally Posted by dypeterc
    I'd run through a full tank and then add the highest octane you can find (94 in my neck of the woods). I know some people will say that it's not good to run a tank empty because of silt like stuff entering the fuel sys but it'd be good to get a true 91 or higher gas in the tank. Dealers almost never put the correct fuel in them.

Also, does the sound that your hearing sound like a whistle or whoosh and come from the passenger side? It could be the sound that your turbo or diverter (?) is making.
    It's more of a "HONK" noise as apposed to a "whistle". No idea!!!

BTW- I love my new Wrex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails otherside.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    My engine is definitely "ticking" a lot more now after 1,200 miles or so than it was brand new. It sounds fine to me and there doesn't seem to be any knocking. I'm using our crappy AZ 91 octane, too. The new 2.5L motor sure makes some cool noises, though. The car is quieter overall but the motor has a nice growl and is more vocal than the 2.0L in general.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

nice!

ohh ohh i know what the sound is it is ur car honking cuase ur going over 80, i read somewhere how to fix it when i find it ill post it here

wait maby that wasnt our car but i know some new car honks if u go over 80
    Last edited by UofAWRX; 10-19-2005 at 12:31 AM.
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.

Do nudists have nightmares of showing up to class fully clothed?

Quote Originally Posted by UofAWRX
    ohh ohh i know what the sound is it is ur car honking cuase ur going over 80, i read somewhere how to fix it when i find it ill post it here

wait maby that wasnt our car but i know some new car honks if u go over 80
    drunken posts are awesome.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast