New 06 WREX....couple of Q's about funky noises!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on New 06 WREX....couple of Q's about funky noises!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Noise #3- Driving home today I hit 75-80 on the freeway and I heard a sudden "HOOOOONNNNKKKKK.......HOOOOOOONNNNK" noise sporatically making ...

Noise #3- Driving home today I hit 75-80 on the freeway and I heard a sudden "HOOOOONNNNKKKKK.......HOOOOOOONNNNK" noise sporatically making a verbal appearance...never heard it before today.

I noticed something similar on my new 06 WRX Wagon. I believe the noise is from the tires resonating from the road. I've noticed that when i drive on certain patched or winterized road surfaces that the tire noise get's pretty loud. I also notice this on my lifted jeep with 36in tires. Hope this helps.

AJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

noise

yeah that whistleing comes from my window as well. I found if you crack the window down an put it back up it stops though..

just my 2 cents tho.. hope it helps
    2006 Subaru WRX tR
    DubOhio.com
    UnlimitedBoost.com

I have an 06 also and the engine noise if very noisy compated to my last WRX and STi.

Mine kinda sounds like a tractor? Even at idle when standing out side the car its very loud. It seems to be coming from the block to the header area on the drivers side.

I wonder if this has somthing to do with the air pump?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AllaboutWRX
    yeah that whistleing comes from my window as well. I found if you crack the window down an put it back up it stops though..

just my 2 cents tho.. hope it helps

It needs adjustment - they fixed that for me at the dealer on warranty (freebie).

Quote Originally Posted by bcristea
    I have an 06 also and the engine noise if very noisy compated to my last WRX and STi.

Mine kinda sounds like a tractor? Even at idle when standing out side the car its very loud. It seems to be coming from the block to the header area on the drivers side.

I wonder if this has somthing to do with the air pump?
    yeah, i find my 06 to idle like a truck or something heheh. we do have a forrester's engine in it.

i wish i can get the dealer to fix that loud high-pitched humming sound i hear sometimes at 100 mph... but i can't let them fix something they can't hear unless i break the law infront of them... which is impossible and too dangerous anyway (going 100 mph in broad daylight and traffic).
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

hey, i have an 06 wrx tr also, and i just went over 100mph on two seperate occations and heard the same noise you are describing, i high pitched whine, both times it came from the back right side. I also don't have a spoiler, i don't know if that helps any. Also, both times it came as i hit about 105mph and i got scared both times and i hit the brake, so i didn't get to see if it was consistant or not. i hope its not any major problem, cause there is no true way to bring this up to a dealer and show them the problem.
    can anyone else tell me if it is normal or there if there is a problem?
    thanks

i just found this
    http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c;f=3;t=000810

i had a feeling it was my tires, and i think it is
    Last edited by lilneel12; 10-26-2005 at 07:58 PM.

I have an 05 wrx and well sometimes after just turning on the car at idle I hear a whistle sound coming from the engine bay. I checked it and it sounds like it is one of the belts. it goes away when i accelerate (ideling). It isn't the turbo because the car isn't moving

Quote Originally Posted by lilneel12
    hey, i have an 06 wrx tr also, and i just went over 100mph on two seperate occations and heard the same noise you are describing, i high pitched whine, both times it came from the back right side. I also don't have a spoiler, i don't know if that helps any. Also, both times it came as i hit about 105mph and i got scared both times and i hit the brake, so i didn't get to see if it was consistant or not. i hope its not any major problem, cause there is no true way to bring this up to a dealer and show them the problem.
    can anyone else tell me if it is normal or there if there is a problem?
    thanks

i had a feeling it was my tires, and i think it is
    looks like the high-pitched howling/humming at 100+mph can be any of 3 problems:

1. Air turbulence due to airflow over a) mirrors b) hood scoop OR c) windows and the rubber door seals

2. tire tread pattern on the pavement at speed

3. tire pressure

if you adjust your tire pressure and it works, please let us know... i want to know what will fix it (if it can be fixed).

I Support ClubWRX
    Believe me guys, I tried everything to fix this, let alone discover the source. It is definitely due to airflow over some portion of the body. Good luck though!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kooyulator
    is it a relatively medium high pitched humming almost? but it sounds like a definite frequency like a note that someone could sing right? i get this all of a sudden too in my wagon but only exactly at 60mph and it comes and goes. i can hear it while listening to music and a few times i turned the music off and caught the noise by itself. it doesnt do it all the time and its pretty quiet but is this what youre hearing? cos if it is, then we both are having the same issue.
    Same here - also on a wagon. I sometimes turn the music up to keep from focusing on it . Mine does it in 4th and 5th gear at 3000-3500rpm exactly. Some say heatshields. Some say wastegate flutter (not sure what that sounds like tho) Pls post if you figure it out or get it fixed.

i finally got me going 100+ on video and you can hear the sound. the audio is a little low so i have to turn up the speakers. when i upload the video somewhere i'll let you guys know.

i'm going to show this video to the subaru dealership when i go for my full service soon. then maybe they can do something... i do think its the seal between the window and the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    i finally got me going 100+ on video and you can hear the sound. the audio is a little low so i have to turn up the speakers. when i upload the video somewhere i'll let you guys know.

i'm going to show this video to the subaru dealership when i go for my full service soon. then maybe they can do something... i do think its the seal between the window and the car.

Then they'll void your warranty for exceeding the speed limit j/k. lets hope it hasn't got to that point.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

noise at speed

My 06 doesn't exhibit this symptom (the noise at higher speeds) but I had a Toyota truck that mae a weird noise that sound s kinda like what you're talking about. It was a kind of honk or vocal note sound - I couldn't tell where it was coming from, very, very weird.

If you have the same problem this truck had, I have your answer...

Get it up to speed where it occurs, maintain speed, and put your hand against the windshield - give it steadily increasing pressure, and see if the sound changes.

What I finally discovered was that it had something to do with the way the windshield was seated into its gasket. It did not leak or anything, it just made a weird sound at about 80, or going into ahead wind that made my "airspeed" approach 80. Above that it would get slightly louder, then disappear.

I also noticed on that truck that when it rained, the aerial would go into a weird resonant vibration. It only happened when wet. It didn't make any noise it would just vibrate at a visible but sub sonic frequency... it kinda did a little dance.

Unrelated, but it illustrates the weird sutff that happens when materials vibrate at a resonant frequency. I had this plastic laundry sink in my basement... one day I had left the water run at a steady but very thin stream for a few minutes, and the water slowed down slightly, to where instead of being a steady stream, it was a stream of closely separated drops. This created the weirdest hum... it was like the frequency of water drops hitting the plastic bottom of the sink was at some perfect mathematical relationship to the resonant pitch of the plastic that it seemed to come alive, and make this amazing sound.

Weird, cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge
    Whats up everyone!

First let me say that I am a total Noob when it comes to Subie's, and technical stuff for that matter, but I love my new WRX! I am diving into this forum to gain as much knowledge as I can. I apologize if my questions are silly, but I want to treat my new baby right!

I only have 500 miles on my new WRX TR, but I'm getting worried about the noises coming from under the hood....I've searched high and low, but I cannot be sure if what I'm hearing is the same as the common boxer tick.

Noise #1 - Basically, since this afternoon, my engine has gotten considerably LOUDER. There has always been a FAINT ticking noise, but driving home tonight it has increased about 2x more. It seems to be the loudest between 2k and 4k RPM. And it's sporadic! I'm 100% positive that it wasn't making these noises yesterday! It sounds like an old VW beetle! --I've hit 5-6k RPM a few times, and I'm worried that I overrevved the motor so early....I definitely don't want to tear it up on accident!

Noise #2- There is also a "whine" coming from the engine area on deceleration, is that normal?

Noise #3- Driving home today I hit 75-80 on the freeway and I heard a sudden "HOOOOONNNNKKKKK.......HOOOOOOONNNNK" noise sporatically making a verbal appearance...never heard it before today.

Noise #4- When I turn the car off, everything is creaking and ticking...sounds like the exhaust, but it's quite loud! The engine bay seems really hot as well!!! The Temp guage is always fine though....

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!!! Glad to be here!!!

Oh, and I do have a thread with pics somewhere in here too, before someone asks...
    I have 2500 miles on my 06 TR and I am hearing the same sounds. My 2002 also made the same sounds, so don't fret over it, just enjoy the W.
    2006 WRX TR, Black
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, SRT 8, Black
    2006 Corvette, Black
    1987 Buick Grand National Sold

I have the same noise to. It seems like it only creates that noise if you hit a certain wind or whatever. I heard that it's the hood scoop that makes that howl noise and the way to fix it is tightening the hood scoop.
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast