New 06 WREX....couple of Q's about funky noises!!! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on New 06 WREX....couple of Q's about funky noises!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Sponge It's more of a "HONK" noise as apposed to a "whistle". No idea!!! BTW- I love ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge
    It's more of a "HONK" noise as apposed to a "whistle". No idea!!!

BTW- I love my new Wrex

Guys, Guys, Guys..... the honk is coming from other cars. He is probobly driving like a bat out of hell like we all do..... occasionally you will get a finger too. The verbal appearence is probobly them swearing too...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge
    It's more of a "HONK" noise as apposed to a "whistle". No idea!!!

BTW- I love my new Wrex
    SAN REMO RED ::LOVE::

Welcome to the family, get more pics!
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I haven't posted before but have lurked around here for a couple years.

#1 sounds like waste gate flutter - it bothered me for a while but the RPM range and description is right. It is no problem.

Thank god I'm back in the NC mountains and have 93 octane and curvey roads again!

the ticking is normal to the subaru boxer engine and so is the old VW rumble becasue its a boxer it will sound like that....search on here for sound clips of exhausts and you will notice that your WRX will sound like that and there is no problem, still no clue as to the honking noise though
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

is it a relatively medium high pitched humming almost? but it sounds like a definite frequency like a note that someone could sing right? i get this all of a sudden too in my wagon but only exactly at 60mph and it comes and goes. i can hear it while listening to music and a few times i turned the music off and caught the noise by itself. it doesnt do it all the time and its pretty quiet but is this what youre hearing? cos if it is, then we both are having the same issue.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kooyulator
    is it a relatively medium high pitched humming almost? but it sounds like a definite frequency like a note that someone could sing right? i get this all of a sudden too in my wagon but only exactly at 60mph and it comes and goes. i can hear it while listening to music and a few times i turned the music off and caught the noise by itself. it doesnt do it all the time and its pretty quiet but is this what youre hearing? cos if it is, then we both are having the same issue.
    That sounds pretty accurate to what I'm hearing....it did it again on the way home tonight! I though it might be freeway resonance or something, but I can't pinpoint it!!!!

i dunno what it is man. i need to know. it drives me crazy sometimes.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

i get that high pitched humming on my 06 too... but its when i'm doing 100 mph (160 km/h). it wasn't there the first time i hit that speed, but sometimes it comes back... but only when i hit that high. if i have my digital camera with me i'll take a video or sound clip and post it. i'm thinking it just might be the airflow doing something weird where the glass of the windows meets the rubber seals or something like that.... like whistling... only comes on when enough airflow goes through. does this sound plausible?
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

Could be! I'm going to do some investigating and see if I can figure it out...It's buggin the heck out of me right now

I Support ClubWRX
    The impreza body will make a very strange noise under the right speeds and with the right crosswinds. The 04 STi was especially noted for this around 100 MPH...a high pitch warble that will scare the hell out of you the first time you hear it. It is either the side mirrors, the hood scoop, or the rear wing....very hard to determine the location as you tend to loose all hearing sticking you head out the window at those speeds.

All of the noises you describe sound normal. I didn't notice anyone asking about your oil level, but I'm assuming you checked it, as your engine will definitely "tick" louder if the oil is too low.

good luck!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    The impreza body will make a very strange noise under the right speeds and with the right crosswinds. The 04 STi was especially noted for this around 100 MPH...a high pitch warble that will scare the hell out of you the first time you hear it. It is either the side mirrors, the hood scoop, or the rear wing....very hard to determine the location as you tend to loose all hearing sticking you head out the window at those speeds.
    yeah i guess that must be it... because last time i hit 100 mph it would come and go even if i maintained the speed... must be certain angles of windflow. and the sound is of a certain note that its really difficult to know exactly which direction its coming from. heheh i wish subaru did more wind tunnel testing at all angles heheh. oh well... i don't make it a habit to go 60 km over the speed limit anyway.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

welcome, nice ride.

welcome to the forum, you will learn a lot from these guys. Before you put any mods in ask or read first,they can and will help.

Quote Originally Posted by xjetx
    welcome to the forum, you will learn a lot from these guys. Before you put any mods in ask or read first,they can and will help.

Thanks!! Glad to be here

I hear that on my 05 WRX also. The two likely culprits:

a) Turbo spooling -- yes you can actually hear this especially upon acceleration

b) Air filter sucking in air. Doing the silencer delete amplifies this noise.

Lol, at first I thought it was wind going through the hoodscoop until I realized that was a bad conclusion and I realized the noise is coming directly from the right side of the engine bay. Exactly where the turbo and filter are located.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.