Warranty dilemma!

This is a discussion on Warranty dilemma! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, I bought an '05 WRX in August with an extended 100,000 mile/5year warranty. I know. Dumb. But I ...

Question Warranty dilemma!

Hi everyone,

I bought an '05 WRX in August with an extended 100,000 mile/5year warranty. I know. Dumb. But I drive SO much, I've already put 5000 miles on the car in just over 2 months.

Anyways, I really want to go Cobb Stage 1 and was wondering if there is any hope/prayer/way to not void the warranty ... ? Everything I've read on here says no, but I wanted to formally ask in the hopes that someone somewhere has an idea that would let me do this and keep the warranty I paid out the @$$ for.

Thanks all!!

PS. Would Cobb Stage 1 hurt the longevity of my car with a stock tranny/clutch?
    Last edited by monduConstruct; 10-17-2005 at 12:35 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well cobb stage 1 is simply an accessport reflash of the ecu so to speak...if i'm correct. i'm still new to the whole subaru thing, but the stage 1 is undetectable from what i hear. i say go for it.

...after all, how will a subaru mechanic notice an ecu change since it's not an obvious mod such as an exhaust?

well cobb stage 1 is simply an accessport reflash of the ecu so to speak...if i'm correct. i'm still new to the whole subaru thing, but the stage 1 is undetectable from what i hear. i say go for it.

Very very smart ... anyone else have any opinions on this? Does the flash have a way to flash it back to stock for inspections or something?

Thanks! Appreciate the advice, keep it comin'!

yep, the accessport allows you to flash it back to stock form. read the website.

and how about the clutch/tranny part of this all? Does Cobb Stage 1 decrease the life span of certain parts?

Be careful though. I've heard that Subaru is now storing the VIN in the ECU. If you reflash it with any current flashing software, it overwrites the VIN so even if you flash it back to stock, they'd be able to see if the VIN is still there. If not, you're void.

Hm that VIN issue sounds tough to get around. I wonder if Cobb will come out wtih some sort of answer to this problem.

Anyone have any ideas if the Cobb Stage 1 adds extra wear to some parts of the car? I plan on having it for a long time and don't want to take time off of its potential life span. Thanks!

stage 1 basically smooths out the o/c fuel loop...the flash will not put wear and tear on the car it is all in the driver and how he/she drives it....obviously if you beat on the car it will cause more wear and tear and if you baby the car it shouldnt....its all in driving habbits
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Quote Originally Posted by Twerthi
    Be careful though. I've heard that Subaru is now storing the VIN in the ECU. If you reflash it with any current flashing software, it overwrites the VIN so even if you flash it back to stock, they'd be able to see if the VIN is still there. If not, you're void.

Yeah I read about that on nastycock.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649636