Will an STI drive well in the snow?

This is a discussion on Will an STI drive well in the snow? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I'll soon be buying a new STI. I am a little concerned though, because I am from the ...

Will an STI drive well in the snow?

Hey guys,

I'll soon be buying a new STI. I am a little concerned though, because I am from the North east where we get a fair amount of snow in the winter. My role at work requires me to be there rain, snow, sleet or shine.

I usually buy Luxury SUV's, but I am really getting tired of the sluggish handling and lumbering acceleration.

So... How will it drive in foul weather?

Thanks guys,

BG

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    BG? Hey, you have my initials! With the right tires, you will do better than most drivers.

Welcome to the club!

What are the "right" tires? Try the search button.

Death to luxury SUVs!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Wow you know that the wrx's ect. sere originally mde for rally racing and they are awd so that is when they shine. The snow is the most fun.
    Vibrant cat-back exhaust. Black silver rim ADR 18"/ kuhmo 225/40/18. kenwood deck, 2 12" kenwood excelons w/ 1100W kenwood amp. Cobb acessport------------coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeGuy_IV
    I'll soon be buying a new STI. I am a little concerned though, because I am from the North east where we get a fair amount of snow in the winter. My role at work requires me to be there rain, snow, sleet or shine.
    The stock STi tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE070) are very dangerous in the snow, virtually no traction.

If you need to be there rain, snow, sleet, or shine.... I'd probably recommend going with a winter wheel/tires setup. I personally decided to sell the RE070s for a set of all-season tires (Contiental Extreme Contacts) to be used all year round. In addition to the improved foul weather traction, they also make for a slightly softer ride in the STi and sacrifice some handling.

Some popular winter tires are Bridgestone Blizzaks, Dunlop M3. Do a search, there are many threads on this. Check out IWSTI.com for more info on this too.
    Last edited by PeterC0523; 10-14-2005 at 08:11 PM.
    2005 Obsidian Black Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX STi

I Support ClubWRX
    Just change the tires before it snows and you'll be fine.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

the tires that come standard on the STi will have very little to NO traction in the snow, DONT TRY IT...you need either snow tires or all weather tires.. i figure ive got summer only ones, so i might as well go all out and get the winter only tires as well :]

in fact I just bought them today and i get to go pick them up tommarow!

Dunlop M3s
    205- 55 R16

with AWD and snow tires your car will handle like a friggin CHAMP!
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

I Support ClubWRX
    I swapped over to Dunlop M3's after using the stock wrx re92's.... OMG!! They are incredible. You're going to love them
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson