Testing Scooby waters
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Testing Scooby waters within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and you all seem to be a mellow bunch ...

Testing Scooby waters

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and you all seem to be a mellow bunch of WRX owners. I'm pleased to have you to drill and get some answers about the 2006 WRX.

As of now, I'm driving a 1999 Neon R/T and it has been lacking in every department for me for too long. I am considering a 2006 WRX TR after looking at: SRT4, 2006 Civic Si and Scion tC. Even though the WRX cost the most, I see lots of positive attributes in the WRX, including the four doors for my family

I am not sure when I'd be able to put money down on a new car but it's almost certain in the near future. It may be in 1st quarter of 2006...

Anyway, I can get 1% under invoice on the SRT4 but it is FWD and is unrefined on the interior/exterior. I've been wondering why the wagon versions costs less than the sedan versions? Other than aluminium control arms (is that right?), what makes the sedan version cost more than the wagon? Is there a wagon TR version? And how cheap can I pick one up if I wait until 1st quarter of 2006?

Thanks everybody!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No wagon TRs and it's a supply and demand thing why the wagons are a few dollar less. As for the cost of a TR you should be able to pick one up just under/over 23,000
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Thank you for your post!

I forgot to add that I'm also looking at an used 03 - 04 SVT Cobra or a new 05+ Mustang GT. I don't have a garage nor a secondary car for daily driver so this "new" car will be my daily driver. I don't like losing at impromptu stop light races and I know AWD in the real world will give me the jockey positions I need to get ahead in the crazy traffic.

What I need is your reassurance that the WRX is the right choice because this is real money we're talking about. I'm no Fadi and I have four mouths, including mine, to feed so I can't **** around with two WRX's.

If I don't get anything out of this forum, I'll take my questions elsewhere. Thanks and especially thank you 302 @ 12!

I Support ClubWRX
    Um...again my 2 cents in the fire.....If you want to street race from light to light I wouldnt recommend the wrx. It will never make as much power as the mustang dollar for dollar. And if you can afford a svt cobra...the wrx will be way behind that.

The wrx isnt this super fast cult car that everyone makes it out to be. It's a very quick car for being 4 doors and it is semi refrined for the money. The awd is a nice trait to have. But it is by no means the baddest thing on the street. If you want to putz around town with a sporty car and have fun with on a limited budget.....it's a great car.

From your last posts and other cars your looking at I'm not getting the feeling the wrx is for your.....but then again I might be really wrong. Go test drive one and see what you feel after that. I'd also recommend test driving an newer model srt-4 and rsx (all through the kids will have a hard time in the acura) good luck.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

The wagons are the coolest!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    Um...again my 2 cents in the fire.....If you want to street race from light to light I wouldnt recommend the wrx. It will never make as much power as the mustang dollar for dollar. And if you can afford a svt cobra...the wrx will be way behind that.

The wrx isnt this super fast cult car that everyone makes it out to be. It's a very quick car for being 4 doors and it is semi refrined for the money. The awd is a nice trait to have. But it is by no means the baddest thing on the street. If you want to putz around town with a sporty car and have fun with on a limited budget.....it's a great car.

From your last posts and other cars your looking at I'm not getting the feeling the wrx is for your.....but then again I might be really wrong. Go test drive one and see what you feel after that. I'd also recommend test driving an newer model srt-4 and rsx (all through the kids will have a hard time in the acura) good luck.
    I didn't mean I turn into John Force at every stoplight but I do mean it when I jockey for positions in traffic jams because its bad around here. If you put yourself out in front of the miserable jam, you're living large until the next stoplight I know AWD will take off crisper than anything out there in elements other than sunny and dry.

I'd love an used Cobra but a RWD coupe doesnt cut it for a family and I've had it with FWD vehicles. I want to stay with sport compacts because it's perfect in balancing traffic navigating along with hauling the family around. I know of only two sport compacts with AWD and 4 doors: Imprezas and Evolutions. I'm not interested in the Mistu because I can't afford even the RS Evo plus I don't feel confident in a 2.0 liter pumping out 270 horses for 75k plus miles.

I'm going to zip it and give a WRX TR a test drive and come back with thoughts. Thanks for prodding me 12 PSI.

And, yes, the wagons are sexy!
    Last edited by Sixty8; 10-13-2005 at 08:20 PM.

I'd also recommend test driving an newer model srt-4.
    A childhood friend has a 2004 SRT4 and while they got almost unlimited potential in the performance department, I'm too busy to be street racing or going to drag strips. It's not a balanced car for the working/married man. I also can't look past how cold and hard the interior welcomes me, especially in the back seats. I want my children to be comfortable and feel welcome in the back rather than receiving the treatment of a prison cell every time they take a ride in the SRT4. I want a car that is very fun to drive to and fro work yet rolls out a "Welcome Home" mat every time my family takes a ride in it.

SRT4's are a force to be reckoned with and it's insanely fun to drive but in the end, it ain't a family car to me.
    Last edited by Sixty8; 10-13-2005 at 08:22 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Family man with 4 kids here. Owned a WRX, and STi, and now a Legacy GTL. All great cars, worked fine with the family. You won't be dissapointed. Good balance of power, pracitcality, and like you said, great for the initial street light lung to allow you to get the position you need for the next light or turn. Nothing better out there that won't make traffic stop and gawk. I say go WRX.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty8
    I didn't mean I turn into John Force at every stoplight but I do mean it when I jockey for positions in traffic jams because its bad around here. If you put yourself out in front of the miserable jam, you're living large until the next stoplight I know AWD will take off crisper than anything out there in elements other than sunny and dry.
    It sounds like you need an agile daily driver.

I've had my wrx for almost a year now and find that squeezing through traffic is no problem. It's a quick starter from a full stop if you're willing to give it rpms and a little time for the turbo to spool up. I'm confident enough in it that ill take front positions at traffic lights even though I'm 2 lanes over from where I need to be. I know, it's a bad and tempting habit.

Just don't expect your wrx to win you any races vs. say, the mustang. It's potential is severely limited beyond a certain speed from what I've been reading.

I completely agree and that is why I've decided for once and all that I'm going with a black 2006 WRX wagon.

I quote Ahnuld, "I'll be back."

No wagon TRs and it's a supply and demand thing why the wagons are a few dollar less. As for the cost of a TR you should be able to pick one up just under/over 23,000
    so in other words, the added options of the non-TR wagons almost equals the cost of a TR sedan, or is it still a few hundred less?...
    I drive a '04RS, & don't have the inclnation to change my s/n...

Mustangs are way to cramped for a family. my parents got stuck with one of the newer ones but didnt listen to me when they got it so there no benefits for them with a V6 and they adopted my niece whos 2yr old now. no room at all.
    SRT'4s look like a good thing but even i decided i wouldnt be able to live with one and they depreciate faster than a regular neon from the cheapo prices i see on used ones.
    acura's mpg doesnt impress me none now since thier Vtec is gone.

i bought my wrx outta nowhere and the only regrets i have with it is the weak gearbox and not buying the STi instead. all the seats are oh so comfy too! great for kids.

another consideration...maybe

Hi sixty8,

I've only had my wagon for a week and a half but the kids really seem to enjoy riding in the back. They're actually choosing it over mom's '01 Legacy Outback (don't kid yourself though, it's the novelty/fun factor). One nice feature of the '06 Impreza is the airbag system on the passenger side shuts off if your passenger is 'small is stature'. So my daughter gets to ride up front again occasionally when it's just the two of us....jeez kids love doing that !! A minor consideration, but a small plus for them if they are old enough.

note : I do live in Canada, but I believe the airbag systems are identical to the U.S. model.

stay away from a scion. lol the '06 civic SI looks funny...

get a WRX!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty8
    I quote Ahnuld, "I'll be back."
    Well well well... lookie what we have here..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cnv0013.bmp  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.