New here, looking into 04-05 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New here, looking into 04-05 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello! I am a current 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT owner who is looking for something better which is why ...

New here, looking into 04-05 WRX

Hello! I am a current 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT owner who is looking for something better which is why I am here. After the first of the year, I am looking at getting rid of my car and getting an Aspen White 04-05 WRX Sedan. I have been researching this site alot and this place is amazing. I am coming from www.club3g.com and this place is definately a step or 2 up compared to that one. I will be making the WRX very unique and working on performance somewhat. So far, in the performance department, what I want to get so far is Up-Pipe, Down-pipe and cat-back exhaust (I guess downpipe and cat-back also called turbo-back?), short shifter, EGT and Boost Gauges (not really performance, but is related to it), a turbo timer and some sort of Engine management system. I have to further research the engine management, but that is what I have in mind thus far. I also might look into a BOV, eventhough you say the BOV is not really a good idea. For the exhaust, I am more than likely going with the Invidia because I have invidia on my eclipse now and it sounds amazing, but nothing compares to a Subby. Well, sorry so long, if you have any tips or anything, feel free to fill me in. Thanks!

EDIT: Here is a few pics of my car now if anyone cares

Last edited by REX-IT; 10-05-2005 at 08:26 AM. Reason: add pictures

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

where are you from?

good choice in thinking about coming out of the GT to a WRX. we have a 2005 wrx in white that we sold originally..traded in for an STI.

my opinion on mods:

springs
    cobb ap
    at least a cat back -- but probably TBE and up pipe would be best
    gauges
    wheels/tires

that would at least get you to a stage 2...then you can figure out what turbo to upgrade to...VF34 would allow you to use your cobb ap..anything else would really need to have a diff. EM.

there are a ton of threads on here about the first few mods...
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru
    where are you from?

good choice in thinking about coming out of the GT to a WRX. we have a 2005 wrx in white that we sold originally..traded in for an STI.

my opinion on mods:

springs
    cobb ap
    at least a cat back -- but probably TBE and up pipe would be best
    gauges
    wheels/tires

that would at least get you to a stage 2...then you can figure out what turbo to upgrade to...VF34 would allow you to use your cobb ap..anything else would really need to have a diff. EM.

there are a ton of threads on here about the first few mods...
    I am not really looking for a monster of a car, I just want to do some simple upgrades to make it sound/peform better and allow that car to breathe and spool up that turbo quicker. I am at college in the mountains playing football, so I need some room in my car and something that will go in snow. For suspension, I am getting the street suspension package (h-brace, front and rear strut tower braces, tein s-tech springs), going to get some powerslot slotted rotors and axxis pads, and I am going to do a lip kit, Seibon Carbon fiber hood, STi Wing, some interior work (painting to match exterior, gauges, nice stereo), a nice tint, and hopefully an HID kit. I have alot of stuff I want to do, but I just listed the performance stuff that I had looked into and was interested in so far. Thanks for the reply.

I am from Roanoke, VA

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow..lots of nice stuff planned. The mod bug is actualy a mod "disease" for you eh?

I think you've got a good plan in mind, so just stick to it. For EM, just consider what you are able to live with regarding the need for tuning or not. That will help you decide which EM to go with.

One suggestion. Ditch the Axxis pads for Ferodo 2500 pads. Much better..and I believe there is a group buy thread on them somewhere. I've used both, and the Ferado's are better all around...in every way. Welcome..and good luck!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

yeah modding is a disease. I swear, every car I will ever own will be modded in some way. I just like have a unique car, not something grandma can go buy and drive. My question is, with the mods I am getting, do I HAVE to get an EM or would I be fine without? I will take those brake pads into consideration. I have them on my car and they do the job well which is why I put axxis, but if there is better then by god I'll take those. My mod list on my eclipse right now is:

-Carbon Fiber EVO hood
    -Carbon Fiber Shine Street front lip
    -Carbon fiber TYC tail Lights
    -AEM Short Ram Intake
    -PowerSlot Slotted Rotors
    -Ceramic Brake pads
    -Red Painted Calipers with ECLIPSE Lettering
    -Interior Neons
    -indiglo Gauges
    -Brushed Aluminum gauge Bezel
    -Nokya gun Metal racing pedals
    -LEDs in Front Grill
    -KYB-AGX 4-way gas adjustable struts
    -Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
    -Suspension techniques rear sway bar
    -Invidia Cat-Back Exhaust
    -Nokya HID Headlight Bulbs
    -Nokya HID Foglight Bulbs
    -StreetGlow Blue Undercar Kit
    -Smoked Front Clear Corners
    -18" Enkei DM5's (not installed)
    -Black Housing Depo Projectors (traded for the halos)
    -Panasonic Headunit
    -titanium double halo projectors with hyperwhite LEDs and Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs (will be here tomorrow)

Thanks for the welcome guys. I will fit right in here. i am so excited to get rid of my car. I look at my car and i think "bleh" now after researching WRX's. lol.

You've read it, but I'll reiterate it: no BOV for the WRX. Only do it if you're getting it custom-tuned.

Also, a turbo timer is another waste of money for these turbos. The turbos are liquid-cooled and don't need the timer.

Quote Originally Posted by LT21
    You've read it, but I'll reiterate it: no BOV for the WRX. Only do it if you're getting it custom-tuned.

Also, a turbo timer is another waste of money for these turbos. The turbos are liquid-cooled and don't need the timer.
    if a TT is not needed, then why do so many people buy them? i am confused.

For the same reason(s) you'll see a Civic with a huge spoiler...it's certainly not functional--any aerodynamic component for cars is rendered useless under approximately 100mph...all they're doing is adding weight and going slower.

A turbo timer is intended to increase the life of your turbo but such a tool is not needed in our cars (Subaru designed our turbos with this in mind). So, CAN people buy a useless piece of equipment like a turbo timer? Yes. DO they buy turbo timers? Absolutely. Is your money better spent on ANYTHING ELSE other than a turbo timer or bov...fo sheezle my nizzle.

Guys I know with turbo timers on Subes typically just like the unique feeling of walking away while the car is still on. They look for someone to bite and say "Hey dude, your car's still on". It's like fishing I guess.

I understand, thanks so much for saving me money. That is cool they designed the turbo's like that, smart thinking.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just to clarify, no turbo is designed to be operated at high speed and then suddenly have the engine turned off. This will produce coking and is the reason folks starting going with turbo timers a long while ago....as coking will eventually kill a turbo. If you do drive it fast just before parking it, it is always a good practise to let it idle for a minute or two to cool everything down...but then, this is a good idea for any motor.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Agreed.

Usually, the 15 minute wait searching for parking at your local hotspot is more than enough time to cool off the teeeeeerbo.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.