My new 2006 STi
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on My new 2006 STi within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Listen I am new to the Subaru World, I know the basics, that almost every tuner know, maybe a little ...

My new 2006 STi

Listen I am new to the Subaru World, I know the basics, that almost every tuner know, maybe a little bit more, but I need some opinons from people who have already gone threw the test phase(product wise).I need to know the do's and the donts of mods on the sti. Keep in mind I have a 2006. I just purchased my greddy turbo timer, I am currently looking at a HKS Spec II B.O.V. and a F.O.R.G.E. Bov. I heard greddy bovs leak like crazy! I really need to know what kind of turbo back exhaust to apply. Any thoughts? i would really like to keep all one brand exhaust system! So i really want a turbo back not a cat back with out spep. down pipe etc..!

Please list begining mods by brand...thanks...Feel free to email me personally at DjLetDown@gmail.com!

Thanks Mike!

-----------------------------------------------------
    2006 Subaru STi Stock
    STi Blue and Gold Rims!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well, with oil and water cooled turbos, the turbo timer really isnt necessary. the bov really isnt the best thing for your car either. in terms of exhausts, just anything catless. engine management is a must, a proper break-in period is also a must. welcome to the boards and good luck with the car. just whenever you think of doing something youre not sure about, hit up the forums man.
    <= i plan on abducting her in the wag

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 Sti. 13.1
    Listen I am new to the Subaru World, I know the basics, that almost every tuner know, maybe a little bit more, but I need some opinons from people who have already gone threw the test phase(product wise).I need to know the do's and the donts of mods on the sti. Keep in mind I have a 2006. I just purchased my greddy turbo timer, I am currently looking at a HKS Spec II B.O.V. and a F.O.R.G.E. Bov. I heard greddy bovs leak like crazy! I really need to know what kind of turbo back exhaust to apply. Any thoughts? i would really like to keep all one brand exhaust system! So i really want a turbo back not a cat back with out spep. down pipe etc..!
    Welcome Mike and I see that your from CO. A lot of people on this forum disagree with BOV's and believe that turbo timers are not necessary. As for the exhaust question, you should look into companies such as APS, Helix, HKS, Invidia, Daddy's, etc. The list goes on and on, they are basically all the same except for advantages and disadvantages here and there. You should go with an ECU upgrade before any exhaust parts. That's just what I would do. I hope I was of some help to you. For colorado awd owners, www.awdpirates.net is the place to go.
    05 White WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #7

Co Lol

Quote Originally Posted by turbo9339
    Welcome Mike and I see that your from CO. A lot of people on this forum disagree with BOV's and believe that turbo timers are not necessary. As for the exhaust question, you should look into companies such as APS, Helix, HKS, Invidia, Daddy's, etc. The list goes on and on, they are basically all the same except for advantages and disadvantages here and there. You should go with an ECU upgrade before any exhaust parts. That's just what I would do. I hope I was of some help to you. For colorado awd owners, www.awdpirates.net is the place to go.

Actually i am from winter park florida! LMAO..but i did make it threw some insane flood waters by my house last night! Had to get to my nephew, had to go threw it , totaly insane! GOD I LOVE AWD!

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 Sti. 13.1
    Actually i am from winter park florida! LMAO..but i did make it threw some insane flood waters by my house last night! Had to get to my nephew, had to go threw it , totaly insane! GOD I LOVE AWD!
    Wow Stupid me. I thought it was winterpark Colorado. pwned
    05 White WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate #7

Nice car, welcome!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Are we gonna get pictures? "You couldn't hear a dumb-truck driving through a nitroglycerine plant"

Welcome!

Turbo timer = not needed, but not gonna hurt anything.
    BOV = bad for the car, not needed, annoying, save your money.
    Exhaust: TurboXS, Daddy's, others mentioned, etc etc, all good. (ERZ is kinda ghetto).

Check out TurboXS UTEC, Cobb Accessport, or ECUTEK for engine management. The stock ECU is restrictive and will fight any mods you get w/o one of those EM's to help. Only issue is that the '06 ECU is different, im sure, so you gotta wait for them to figure it out.

Oh and have fun w/ your car!
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Quote Originally Posted by Houstonwrx
    Are we gonna get pictures? "You couldn't hear a dumb-truck driving through a nitroglycerine plant"
    "She's a beaut Clark!"
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Congrats on the new car, it looks awesome.

Congrats man...I just got an STi as well. Advice..if you want the most power out of whichever exhaust you get, go catless. I just ordered an Invidia Race exhaust, just straight pipes with no resonators or cats. Thats the way to go! Here are a few websites that may come in handy with your modding...enjoy!

www.gruppe-s.com

www.rallysportdirect.com

www.jscspeed.com

Most subaru owners are very pleased with those 3 websites. I myself use rallysportdirect becuase of the excellent customer service.
    when the turbo spins the bull**** ends

My mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome and congrats on your purchase. As others have noted, a turbo timer is really not needed, and a BOV, well...to me that is a more a choice in noise as it is not a performance adder and has been demonstrated to invoke rough idle/slight fuel issues on STi's. Nothing to be afraid of, but if you get one, at least consider a fully adjustable unit that can be recirculated like the stock BOV. Then you can have your noise when you want it, and all available power when you need it.

Before any performance mods, you should prep for them with the proper gauges and brake setup. Minimum, EGT and Oil Press., and if possible a wideband A/F is excellent and will serve you well if you go the tuning route later.

After gauges and brake pads/lines, Engine Management should be first on the list, followed by a TBE. Be aware that a full catless system may cause your car to boost creep into fuel cut, and this is not something you want. This does not happen on all STi's, but it appears the closer you are to sea level, the easier it is to occur on a catless system. To stop it (if it does occur), you'll need either a DP with high flow cat or a porting of your wastegate.

Read the stickies and use the search tool and you should be able to answer any questions this posts bring up. Good luck!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.