Newbie questions - break-in period, etc...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newbie questions - break-in period, etc... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, Supposed to be picking up an '06 WRX wagon in two weeks. Can you provide me with general ...

Question Newbie questions - break-in period, etc...

Hi everyone,

Supposed to be picking up an '06 WRX wagon in two weeks. Can you provide me with general break-in period recommendations ? From what I gather, the first 1000 miles...no going over 3000rpm. Then what ? Any special considerations due to the turbocharged engine ? Should I be using synthetic oil ?

Also, can anyone recommend some very subtle improvements for the car ? I'm sorry to disappoint the hard core guys (which appears to be a great many of you), but this little wagon is just going to be my daily commuter...with kids...and occasionally my dog in the back. I will give it a spritied drive once in a while (when Iím in it alone) so I thought it might be fun in a few months to do something like K&N filters, spark plug wires, etc. Just minor stuff to add to the fun. Is there a no-brainer upgrade that many WRX owners do very quickly ?

Thanks in advance !!

Ted

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

From what I've come across there's really not much of a no brainer for the WRX. It's a complicated but very amazing machine. I'd say don't go with synthetic until you need to change oil the first time, give everything time to seal up properly.

From what everyone's told me don't go with a K&N filter. It's not the best as far as keeping depris out of your engine. DON'T go with a cold air intake it'll mess up the air/fuel. Fine a nice quite cat back or find a used STI uppipe and put that on. It won't be much but it'll be enough to give ya a little more gains.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forums. Althought this is probably more money than you wanted to spend, I would recommend an up pipe swap to remove the cat located there. This will significantly alter your boost response to the better. Night and day difference. Then (or 1st..make no difference) purchase a Cobb Access Port (AP) and flash a stage 1 map to your ECU. Again, a very noticable difference in performance. Neither one of these will hurt your vehicle and a simple flash back to the stock map will keep you good with emissions inspection.

For a simple mod, and drop in filter and plug wires are fine. For the filter, I've used K&N so I'm not sure what the issues are with it. I didn't have a problem with mine. You can also remove the silencer in the air box and this will give you some cooler noises out of the intake...but doesn't do a bit for performance.

Have fun!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I've e-mailed Subaru about the oil change thing, as well as talked to one of the techs where I got my first oil change done.

You should wait until 3K for the first oil change, and 10K to go synthetic.

You SHOULD go over 3K the first 1000 miles, just not very often. I opened her up probably 10 times, both first and second gears. This builds heat and seats the rings. In all reality the car has probably been test driven hard every now and then, so no worries about doing it right away. But, every now and then you'll get the urge anyway, so give in and let 'er rip. Once it hits 1K, treat the throttle like an on/off switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi
    I'd love to have a tree house for adults in my backyard.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Welcome to the forums. Althought this is probably more money than you wanted to spend, I would recommend an up pipe swap to remove the cat located there.

No UP in the 06 n00b.....supposed to be some sort of an air pump.

Basicaly drive the car for a bit and see what feels weak to you. You may find plenty of power with a lack of handling or vice versa. Mods that have rang true for the last several years are Turbo back exhaust, and some kind of engine management.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalNuke
    I've e-mailed Subaru about the oil change thing, as well as talked to one of the techs where I got my first oil change done.

You should wait until 3K for the first oil change, and 10K to go synthetic.

You SHOULD go over 3K the first 1000 miles, just not very often. I opened her up probably 10 times, both first and second gears. This builds heat and seats the rings. In all reality the car has probably been test driven hard every now and then, so no worries about doing it right away. But, every now and then you'll get the urge anyway, so give in and let 'er rip. Once it hits 1K, treat the throttle like an on/off switch.

my book says dont go above 4500.... and the subaru tech where i bought my car said to switch at 3k to synthetic if im going synthetic if i dont swap it at 3k keep it regular.

I Support ClubWRX
    First post? Welcome!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by RexisMe
    my book says dont go above 4500.... and the subaru tech where i bought my car said to switch at 3k to synthetic if im going synthetic if i dont swap it at 3k keep it regular.
    There are many thoughts on this issue of break-in, most leaning towards running the car harder being O.K. That being said, you really should run the engine out a few times to seat things. But hey, it's your car, do what you want.

There's no problem switching to synthetic at any time, that doesn't make sense. What you don't want to do is switch from synth to dyno to synth and back all the time.

Registered User ParklandsFinest's Avatar
    I just got an 06 sedan as well. My tech friends are telling me to try to keep it under 4k, but like you said you can let it go a few times just not to make a bad habbit of it, at least not until break in is over. I was also told not keep the car at a certian rpm for the first 1000.. Like setting the cruise on the freeway at 2500 rpms for like 40 mins, not good.

As far as the mods I'm trying to figure out what to do first. I dunno though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    No UP in the 06 n00b.....supposed to be some sort of an air pump.

Basicaly drive the car for a bit and see what feels weak to you. You may find plenty of power with a lack of handling or vice versa. Mods that have rang true for the last several years are Turbo back exhaust, and some kind of engine management.
    hehe..your funny. Didn't notice it was an 06. Dang...first time I've been called a noob. Had to happen sometime

Oh well...it's save some money. Now just go with the cobb AP!!!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

wow...thank you for the feedback

This is great stuff guys, yep...this was my first post. Thank you for your encouragement and excellent suggestions. Love the advice about letting'er rip a few times in the first 1K to set rings, etc !!! I promise to do it only a handful of times

Next couple of weeks is going to crawl by while I wait for it to arrive, didn't think I was going to be this excitied. Try not to laugh too hard, but I've never even been in an '06...actually, I haven't even seen one in person. This whole thing was based on my test drive of an '05 WRX. Most of what I read about the '06 is encouraging, so I'm certain it will all work out for the best.

Any additional advice is welcome...thanks again !!

Ted

what the master mechanic told me is the BEST (but not required) break-in.

1) under 4000 RPM first 1500 miles
    2) take it EASY for the first 3000 miles
    3) no synthetic oil for 7500 miles (SOME engine wear is necessary for proper break-in)

if you're patient, and have enough control over yourself...this is the best way to get motor longevity and reduce oil burn-off.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrom
    This is great stuff guys, yep...this was my first post. Thank you for your encouragement and excellent suggestions. Love the advice about letting'er rip a few times in the first 1K to set rings, etc !!! I promise to do it only a handful of times

Next couple of weeks is going to crawl by while I wait for it to arrive, didn't think I was going to be this excitied. Try not to laugh too hard, but I've never even been in an '06...actually, I haven't even seen one in person. This whole thing was based on my test drive of an '05 WRX. Most of what I read about the '06 is encouraging, so I'm certain it will all work out for the best.

Any additional advice is welcome...thanks again !!

Ted
    the 06 is supposed to be worlds above the 05. The STI just a little but the WRX is supposed to be HUGELY different in a good way. When you get it let us know how it drives and post pics!!!!!!!!!!! Did you get the limited package with leather/heated seats etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by XimportncWRX
    the 06 is supposed to be worlds above the 05. The STI just a little but the WRX is supposed to be HUGELY different in a good way. When you get it let us know how it drives and post pics!!!!!!!!!!! Did you get the limited package with leather/heated seats etc.?

Leather not available in Canada (at least not in the wagon) Does come with the six pack CD, climate control, and heated seats though. That's the most important feature to me, gets pretty cold up here in Jan/Feb (my wife has them in her Outback...nice feature). I've had a sunroof in two other cars, but I just didn't use it much so I didn't bother with that option. I have about an 18 mile drive (country roads) into work each day, so I am REALLY looking forward to this winter...should make my drive FUN for a change. As for posting pics, I'll give it a try as soon as it arrives.

Ted

I have been told by racers that the proper way to break in an engine is shifting 1-2-3 real low then flooring it all the way to redline in 3rd gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast