Hello I need HELP Thanks

This is a discussion on Hello I need HELP Thanks within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi this is my first post but i have been a clubwrx member i just never posted Anyways i have ...

Hello I need HELP Thanks

Hi this is my first post
    but i have been a clubwrx member i just never posted
    Anyways i have a 2005 Saab 92-x AERO (Subaru WRX WAGON)
    I just installed a Invidia G200 cat back system
    but when i start the engine or stop it
    a weird vibration/noise comes out right under the floor
    im guessing where the midpipe meets the downpipe
    also im getting a lot of smoke/burnt smell coming out of the exhaust
    Any input would really help
    should i be worried, should i even be driving?
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

did u use the stock springs from your old stock cat back? i believe there should be some long bolts with springs that go in between. you might be hearing the metal flanges rattling and exhaust is seeping out due to a bad connection
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

I Support ClubWRX
    Check all of the rubber isolators on the hangers. One might have fallen out (although this would be hard to do as they are inserted very tight). Also, as mentioned above, the Down Pipe connects to you new exhuast at a donut flange, which has a large concave shaped gasket inside of it. This flange is held together with two long spring mounted shoulder bolts. If the gasket is cocked inside or the spring bolts are too loose or too tight, it can transmit vibration up to the cockpit.

The smell is normal as new exhaust piping is typically coated with cutting oil during it's fabrication, and is now being burned off. It will go away.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

yeah i had that issue where i FORGOT to put the springs in LOL! i had some stupid rattling and then after going on my test drive, i figured it out.
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

i had that same problem after i installed the 5zigen cat back it sounded like metal hitting metal after putting the stock back on and the noise going away i knew it was the exhaust. because the pipe is now 3 in instead of 2 or 2.5 whatever stock is, you shut off the motor or turn it on or even during hard excelleration the tourqe of the motor is making your exhaust hit the bracket that goes around your drive shaft, it is located next to your shift linkage. if it sounds like it is coming from the tranny thats is probally what it is. i took a file to the bracket and filed the lip off and that stopped the noise in the front i still get it in the back under wot, the guys a subaru said kartboy teflon hangers will fix it without the file. get under your car and shake your exhaust from side to side you should be able to see where it is hitting. hopefully that helps!

thanks

im actually pretty sure now that the noise is coming from where the downpipe connects to the midpipe, and when i bought my cat it came with new bolts to use
    but there was no way i was going to be able to use the springs because
    the bolt was a lot smaller
    so i didnt use the springs
    maybe i have to change it
    anyways thanks for all the input guys i really appreciate it!!!!