WRX or STI?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX or STI? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, I'm a newbie around here. I'm gonna buy new WRX or used STI in a month or so. I ...

WRX or STI?

Hey, I'm a newbie around here. I'm gonna buy new WRX or used STI in a month or so. I just wanted to see what some of you guys who have driven both think about them. Is the WRX pretty easy to upgrade or should I just spend a little more and get the STI?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well it depends on what your goals are. The STi is a better platform to start with, but the WRX isnt a slouch.

If your looking for over 300awhp then just get the STi. 6spd, DCCD, 2.5L block.

If not get the WRX. its a win/win situation.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

I've looked at both for a while and test driven each. I'm kind of just a weekend mech though and don't want to get in over my head trying to upgrade the WRX when I could just get a STI for a little more dough. I also am not sure about buying a used STI.

depends on how much performance you want.

WRX is more for "streetable" performance. but can always been upgraded if the craving for more performance hits you.

while the STi is more balls out performance that you'd pretty much need only for the Track. Definatly worth every penny if you want the performance though and yes.. parts for the STi are very very very expensive (like OEM parts if you get in an accident or what not). if anyhting on it breaks you're looking at a very expensive bill.

both are great cars... but the main thing that sucks about the WRX, is that it will always be in the STi's shadow. "hey is that an STi??" no... =/
    they call STi's STDs because everyone is getting them.

So this has probably been asked before but basically what does an STI have that makes that much more horse (about 70 i think)? Could I do something pretty simple to get a WRX a little more. I agree with the WRX being stuck the STI shadow. All people ask when I say i'm gonna get a WRX is "You gonna get an STI?"

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    Do you live in a climate that gets snow?
    The STI comes with summer tires. You'd need to buy some winter or all seasons.

The WRX comes with standard (crappy) all season tires.

Also - you may want to take into account warranty issues.

If you buy a new WRX and plan on modding it...you'll void the warranty.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

I live in Maine. It snows alot. I might get a WRX with the warranty gone already and mod it or a STI with around 10k, extend the warranty and not have to mod it.
    Last edited by Chez; 09-20-2005 at 02:18 PM.

it doesnt take much to get a WRX to the point of where it will be as quick as a Stock STi.

Turboback exhaust
    Up-pipe
    and an Accessport (or any other engine mangament)

will get you there.

and those exact same mods (minus the up-pipe) will also make the STi quick as all hell...

(with that being said)
    they are still two totally differnt animals. what makes the STi so much faster then the WRX is the turbo (Vf-39) and the little supporting goodies it has... (intake manifold, larger topmount intercooler, catless up-pipe, etc) so if you planning on seriously modding your WRX you'll be changing out your Turbo anyways.

The dealership can never "void" your warrenty.. they can only deny you coverage if it is proven without a doubt that your modification you made caused the problem.. .there are plenty of people who have abused their WRXs and simply taken their mods off and gotten the problem fixed without any problems...

the STi also has a MUCH MUCH stronger transmission if you plan on beating on it... but when it finally does break it's gonna cost you an arm and a leg :P

so if i wanted to get started racing and also have a fast daily driver should i get the WRX and mod or just take the plunge and go all in for a STI? Am I stupid to buy a STI right away? Maybe I should get one a little later (even though i hate the new look)

Quote Originally Posted by Chez
    So this has probably been asked before but basically what does an STI have that makes that much more horse (about 70 i think)? Could I do something pretty simple to get a WRX a little more. I agree with the WRX being stuck the STI shadow. All people ask when I say i'm gonna get a WRX is "You gonna get an STI?"
    what makes STi faster is bigger engine bigger turbo and bigger IC. I'd try a new WRX throw in $3k with basic upgrades (IC hoses, UP, DP, catback, Accessport) and you have 285HP on your crank. Oh and get new tires stockers are teh crap.
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

yeah i just found the "good first mods" thread and it is pretty helpful. guess i should have looked a little harder....
    so would you guys suggest getting STI if i plan on racing at all or will the WRX be a good starter car on the track?

I almost bought a WRX instead of the STi. The deal on the STi was too hard to resist though. The main reason was the insurance. It was a heck of alot cheaper to insure the WRX vs. the STi. Even if you mod the heck out of it...it's still a 2.0L WRX in the insurance companies mind. My STi runs me almost $70 more a month with Allstate than a WRX would have. I'm really REALLY happy with my choice now.

Chris
    05 Protuned CGM STi

yeah i still gotta check the insurance rates....i think im scared to....
    are you doing any racing with or just using it as a daily driver?

you dont seem like you're that big of a car enthusiast.. (doing a lot of track days and auto-x events) so the WRX will probably be plenty for you. by track I mean race track and not a dragstrip. WRXs and STis arnt made for the dragstrip. If you want a car that will perform well there you definatly want some kind of american muscle car (mustang / srt-4 / whatever). If you want something that can handle all kinds of weather, street / track / off-road, go fast straight... and turn even faster, then this is your ride

unless you can find an insainly good deal on an STi, you might be better off with a New WRX. (Warrenty + NEW CAR!!) awd turbo cars arn't the most reliable cars to buy used.

The New 06 WRXs are good to boot. with it having a 2.5L engine is a huuuuuuge deal

[+]2.5L (up from 2.0) <<< almost identical to the STi engine w/o the turbo (VF-39) and differnt cams (I believe...)
    [+]Revised suspension
    [+]Bigger brakes (4 piston calipers up front; 2 in the rear)
    [-] UGLY! unfortuantly it looks pretty bad... it'll probably grow on you over time, but I still am not fond of the new looks at all.

its still no STi though. =/ but we're getting there

good FAQ(s) link

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.